U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,805 posts, read 5,280,782 times
Reputation: 2960
Default The North American Union and Trucker's "Truck Out" Rally

The Rally will coincide with the Hold Their Feet to the Fire descent on Washington D.C. later this month.

http://www.saveamericafund.org/index.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2007, 10:19 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 12,890,735 times
Reputation: 9673
I sure hope Americans wake up and understand the truly devastating efffect Mexican trucks will have on our country... Here's just a few of the MANY things entry to Mexican trucks will bring:

- A greater oppportunity to smuggle people, drugs and other contraban into America

- When Mexican truckers get into accidents up here, they will simply run back across the border, leaving YOU holding the bag for all the damages.

- Mexico has no real criminal database, so there is no way to verify the criminal past or driving records of Mexican drivers entering our country.

- Mexico has no Hours-of-Service enforcement so Mexican drivers can be totally exhausted by the time he crosses the border and drives tired in our country.

- Since most Mexican drivers won't be proficient in english, how will they communicate with law enforcement personnel in emergencies? What happens when they can't read our road signs?

- Junk Mexican trucks will increase accidents on our highways.

- Greedy U.S. cariers have already bought into Mexican companies and will use cheap Mexican labor to drive down already too-low U.S. driver wages.

- Small business will suffer because Mexican trucks will bring food and fuel from home. (They can't afford to spend money in truck stops and other places because their wages are currently les than half an American driver's wages.)

- States will be cheated out of desperately-needed highway taxes because Mexican trucks will flagrantly violate cabotage laws that require Canadian and Mexican carriers to deliver their load to it's U.S. destination and pick up a load that delivers back in their home country. Mexican trucks will roam from load to load in the U.S. virtually unchecked because most states won't have the time or resources to enforce cabotage laws.

Our politicians have put all Americans in grave danger to further the interest of a few shippers and trucking executives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2007, 01:28 AM
 
Location: In an illegal immigrant free part of the country.
2,078 posts, read 73,562 times
Reputation: 382
This is a horror story waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
7,849 posts, read 15,423,891 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I sure hope Americans wake up and understand the truly devastating efffect Mexican trucks will have on our country... Here's just a few of the MANY things entry to Mexican trucks will bring:

Our politicians have put all Americans in grave danger to further the interest of a few shippers and trucking executives.
Very valid points, Crew Chief

Obviously, many of our wonderful leaders seem to be more focused on the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR rather than our SAFETY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 PM
 
2,429 posts, read 4,476,776 times
Reputation: 969
All excellent points Crew Chief. Things are going to get pretty nasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Gainesboro, Tennessee
323 posts, read 482,734 times
Reputation: 79
Yea, and not to mention my husbands job and our complete livelyhood. My hubby is an Owner Operator. His 2 brothers are drivers, His father was one. It's the family business.

The average money per mile for a truck driver is 23 to 30 cents a mile. On a large average 35 cents. Some make a little higher but thats very hard to get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
7,849 posts, read 15,423,891 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker Fallen Angel View Post
Yea, and not to mention my husbands job and our complete livelyhood. My hubby is an Owner Operator. His 2 brothers are drivers, His father was one. It's the family business.

The average money per mile for a truck driver is 23 to 30 cents a mile. On a large average 35 cents. Some make a little higher but thats very hard to get.
It's a damn shame, Starwalker

Not only do we need to watch out for the ILLEGALS driving their uninsured clunkers on our roads . . . soon we'll need to be dodging beat up 18 wheelers driven by non-English speaking jockeys undercutting our honest hard working truckers.
! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,420 posts, read 15,701,635 times
Reputation: 5188
Here is the US Dept of Transportation news release concerning the trucking program:

Secretary Peters noted that the Department of Transportation has put in place a rigorous inspection program to ensure the safe operation of Mexican trucks crossing the border. Yesterday, Peters and Mexican Secretary of Communications and Transportation Luis Téllez announced a program to have U.S. inspectors conduct in-person safety audits to make sure that participating Mexican companies comply with U.S. safety regulations. The regulations require all Mexican truck drivers to hold a valid commercial drivers license, carry proof they are medically fit, comply with all U.S. hours-of-service rules and be able to understand questions and directions in English.

Secretary Peters said those Mexican truck companies that may be allowed to participate in the one-year program will all be required to have insurance with a U.S. licensed firm and meet all U.S. safety standards.


U.S. Department of Transportation / Cross Border Truck Safety Inspection Program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
7,849 posts, read 15,423,891 times
Reputation: 6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Here is the US Dept of Transportation news release concerning the trucking program:

Secretary Peters noted that the Department of Transportation has put in place a rigorous inspection program to ensure the safe operation of Mexican trucks crossing the border. Yesterday, Peters and Mexican Secretary of Communications and Transportation Luis Téllez announced a program to have U.S. inspectors conduct in-person safety audits to make sure that participating Mexican companies comply with U.S. safety regulations. The regulations require all Mexican truck drivers to hold a valid commercial drivers license, carry proof they are medically fit, comply with all U.S. hours-of-service rules and be able to understand questions and directions in English.

Secretary Peters said those Mexican truck companies that may be allowed to participate in the one-year program will all be required to have insurance with a U.S. licensed firm and meet all U.S. safety standards.
Interesting, NewToCa

Haven't we all heard similar assurances concerning the safety of our children's toys and pet food being imported from China?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,420 posts, read 15,701,635 times
Reputation: 5188
Just providing the official position of those making the decisions. I think it is important to at least have that out there in the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top