Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 05:42 PM

6 posts, read 28,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You are correct. Ignorance, stupidity and the inability to act civilized in public seems to be an epidemic.

You seem, from those of your posts that I've read, to be an intelligent sort of person. So why would you want to engage in the same pervasive ignorance which leads people to believe that rudeness is a racial marker?

I have refrained from posting in this thread because frankly, I'm disgusted by the entire topic.

You cannot make the supposition that an entire race of people are programmed to behave in a certain sort of way based on the actions of a few, diversity or not. People can be obnoxious and socially unacceptable in a variety of languages, cultures, and races. As the grandchild of immigrants, I resent the fact that someone would make the assumption that children misbehave and people are rude simply because they have immigrated from another country.

How can you tell by looking at someone whether they are an immigrant or not? How do you know where they're from? How can you form the hypothesis that a certain part of the world simply produces people who don't know how to behave in public? What do you do, walk up to them and say, "Pardon me, I noticed that you can't control your children. Are you from Ethiopia?"

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

There is enough rudeness, enough self-absorption, enough bad parenting in every culture on earth without perpetuating some myth that those who emigrate to the United States just seem to act worse than the natives. Those of you with children know that isn't true. Who hasn't had a two year old melt down in the middle of Sears? Who hasn't dealt with a five year old with ants in their pants who jumps up from the dinner table and runs down the waitstaff at Denny's? We all have had moments with our kids we'd rather no one else ever saw, and if you say you haven't, you aren't being truthful with yourself or anyone else on the board.

I've seen every churlish behavior described on this thread committed by a rainbow coalition of perpetrators. To ascribe boorish behavior to immigrants alone is preposterous and senseless.

Ditto, I totally agree. Not to mention, if you didn't understand what was announced over the intercom would you be quiet? I mean, it's not like you can understand it right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You are correct. Ignorance, stupidity and the inability to act civilized in public seems to be an epidemic.

You seem, from those of your posts that I've read, to be an intelligent sort of person. So why would you want to engage in the same pervasive ignorance which leads people to believe that rudeness is a racial marker?
You are absolutely correct. The post was a culmination of all the other threads I had read that day. I got tired of having to defend and explain and educate. I just decided to be "one of them". Weakness on my part I must admit.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Red face 2 many babies=bad behavior

[quote=MattDen;579034]
Anyway, it seems like alot of immigrant and especially their children have some of the worst behavior. I think alot of this is because they have so many babies.

YOU KNOW IT'S FUNNY THAT YOU CAN MAKE SUCH AN ASSUMPTION. SO IF SOMEONE HAS "TONS" OF BABIES, THEY HAVE BAD BEHAVIOR? HM...FUNNY CONCEPT YOU HAVE THERE.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Two years ago, my family and I went to Six Flags for vacation. It was peak lunch time so we were lucky to find a place to sit. The table had a puddle of liquid and we were about to clean it off when a lady came up to us and said, "You may not want to sit there. That's pee," and pointed to this dumbass white kid whose white trash parents let them parade around like they owned the place.

Just last week, an extremely rude white lady was at the Chipotle line being extremely rude to the server telling the server she got the order wrong when she ordered something that wasn't even on the freakin' menu. Dumb white h*nk*y.

Ignorance, stupidity, lack of manners ... it's everywhere. Including this board.
They were probably French or Irish...

(I'm just KIDDING!!!!!!)

Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Quote:
They were probably French or Irish...
(I'm just KIDDING!!!!!!)
*frown*

*head shaking*

Old 04-19-2007, 08:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I actually enjoyed your post MattDen, I believe your an honest and good guy. Let me point a few things out, when you say illegal immigrants come here for lower wages, it's completely false. They come here for BETTER wages. Mexico is a third world country in some areas of its nation, I've had the privilege to visit Tijuana, and it's the slums, worse than the hoods of New Jersey you see on T.V. There's more prostitution, orphans, lack of money, food, water, then you would believe possible. Once you cross the border, homeless people are everywhere. I've worked with illegal immigrants, I engage with hispanics(legal or illegal) on an everyday basis. You stated later that Sudanese, Middle-Eastern, and Mexican immigrants are in disproportionate numbers. People's origins are also from El Salvador, Guatemala, and South American Countries in the millions. In terms of African, how would you know most Africans in this country are Sudanese? Nebraska, Colorado are all great places, but they don't have the diversity of a Texas, Arizona, California, New Mexico, to really clue you in to the politics of diversity. My cousin is from Utah, and there's a good number of illegal immigrants just like Colorado, but he has no clue about their culture or why they are here, and his statements towards them are inflammatory, and full of misguided political incorrectness. You're a good person, just a couple things I wanted to clear up, I believe you'll be a pioneer for equality someday.
MattDen said basically that when so many immigrants come here they 'lower American wages', raise rents, decrease quality of life, raise cost of living and taxes. You are the first person I've come across that does not seem to know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration