Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You couldnt have said it better Kellem. It does make me really upset when I see headlines on the newspapers of American pro-legalization organizations fighting for more than legalization. These American organizations are not going about it the right way. Immigrants are not demanding Healthcare. They want legalization. This is what these organizations do for a living, they adovacate on every level for both legal and illegal immigrants. However, they are leaving a bad taste on Americans in general.

I'm not pro Universal Healthcare, much less giving healthcare to illegal immigrants. This is in no way fixing the chain migration of illegal immigrants to the US.
Nor, is legalizing 20+ million illegal aliens. It only encourages more illegal immigration; which is precisely the result of the last and “final” amnesty in 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Certainly illeagls have no imagration rights. in fact they are law violators.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You couldnt have said it better Kellem. It does make me really upset when I see headlines on the newspapers of American pro-legalization organizations fighting for more than legalization. These American organizations are not going about it the right way. Immigrants are not demanding Healthcare. They want legalization. This is what these organizations do for a living, they adovacate on every level for both legal and illegal immigrants. However, they are leaving a bad taste on Americans in general.

I'm not pro Universal Healthcare, much less giving healthcare to illegal immigrants. This is in no way fixing the chain migration of illegal immigrants to the US.
But that's the problem. What do you do when tens of millions of people, most of them with very little education, no ability to learn the language of this country want to come here for "their better life" and the only jobs they can get are low paying, minimal skills kind of jobs?

What do you do when the reason employers order up truckloads of illegals from the poorest regions of Mexico because they want to pay as little as possible and don't intend to provide health insurance plans?

And now we're faced with a serious unemployment problem with tens of millions of people demanding to be handed citizenship and the right to start bringing in their extended families. They don't intend themselves to pay for insurance plans for the loved ones they want to bring in.

One illegal I know has 2 elderly parents, 8 siblings, a couple of them married and half of them with children of their own, and he has children back in his hometown in Mexico that he plans to have join him here once he's given his amnesty. He works hard as a landscaper and makes about $200 a week with no health care plan.

Another is the eldest of 12 and works as an "abanil", also didn't go far in school, misses his mother and siblings. That family was poor but making it in Mexico until the father died, they were left with no insurance so the oldest boy came to work here and support them, plus the child one of his siblings now has (out of wedlock). This guy plans to return home but is waiting around to see if amnesty is coming in which case he plans to have his mother, siblings join him here. None speaks any English of course.

Who can provide them with expensive American health care?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that's the problem. What do you do when tens of millions of people, most of them with very little education, no ability to learn the language of this country want to come here for "their better life" and the only jobs they can get are low paying, minimal skills kind of jobs?

What do you do when the reason employers order up truckloads of illegals from the poorest regions of Mexico because they want to pay as little as possible and don't intend to provide health insurance plans?

And now we're faced with a serious unemployment problem with tens of millions of people demanding to be handed citizenship and the right to start bringing in their extended families. They don't intend themselves to pay for insurance plans for the loved ones they want to bring in.

One illegal I know has 2 elderly parents, 8 siblings, a couple of them married and half of them with children of their own, and he has children back in his hometown in Mexico that he plans to have join him here once he's given his amnesty. He works hard as a landscaper and makes about $200 a week with no health care plan.

Another is the eldest of 12 and works as an "abanil", also didn't go far in school, misses his mother and siblings. That family was poor but making it in Mexico until the father died, they were left with no insurance so the oldest boy came to work here and support them, plus the child one of his siblings now has (out of wedlock). This guy plans to return home but is waiting around to see if amnesty is coming in which case he plans to have his mother, siblings join him here. None speaks any English of course.

Who can provide them with expensive American health care?
If amnesty passes, all of the relatives of illegals will join them here to take advantage of American benefits and tax-funded freebies. There will be few unskilled and uneducated Mexicans remaining in Mexico. Why should they, when the U.S. government is willing to ‘gift’ them our country?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Hell, I think some people are too demanding when referring to immigrant rights.

Every time I see a pro-legalization group go after more welfare, or Universal Health Care, it feels that they are undermining the main reason that, I think, immigrants are coming here for. To work and build a better life.
Nice post. Yes that is interesting that they want to come here to work and yet it's important they qualify for all the social programs.

I think a problem exists in that their education level is so low that they can only qualify for the minimum wage jobs and require the social programs to be able to make it in the US.

Compare that to the Cuban immigration (59) where college educated Cuban citizens came over to Miami. They created their own economy because they had money and the education/skills to create a multitude of jobs and businesses. The Cuban migration then was a good thing for the US IMHO.
Miami benefited from it and they were able to establish themselves without social nets and thrive.

If the Mexicans currently coming here were college educated and had money so they didn't need our social programs, would they be more welcomed via amnesty ?

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nice post. Yes that is interesting that they want to come here to work and yet it's important they qualify for all the social programs.

I think a problem exists in that their education level is so low that they can only qualify for the minimum wage jobs and require the social programs to be able to make it in the US.

Compare that to the Cuban immigration (59) where college educated Cuban citizens came over to Miami. They created their own economy because they had money and the education/skills to create a multitude of jobs and businesses. The Cuban migration then was a good thing for the US IMHO.
Miami benefited from it and they were able to establish themselves without social nets and thrive.

If the Mexicans currently coming here were college educated and had money so they didn't need our social programs, would they be more welcomed via amnesty ?
Not by me. Illegal is illegal, I do not care where you're from or what your educational background is though illegals by and large are uneducated and semi-illiterate.

I also think we should do away with the wet feet/dry feet policy for Cubans.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I think they would be more welcomed via amnesty. Also while the IAs that are coming are uneducated, they do not lack the ability to learn, and neither their children. If efforts are focused into education the children of these individuals, not training them on how to be the 'welfare' class, after one generation we would have well educated individuals, that contribute more to the society than their parents did. It's a long time investment.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM

291 posts, read 414,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I believe the vast majority of Latinos who support illegal immigration -- profit from it, have family or friends who are illegal, subscribe to the reconquista doctrine, or are themselves illegal.

Latinos also divided over immigrant rights - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1579706.html - broken link)
with many its a hypocritical stance in as much once they have gotten all the family and friends over they now are "Americans" and want to stop the masses from getting the goods. Common sense says only so many can reap the benefits before there is no more to give? Plus once they are assimilated they know the benifactors are tired of the entitlements so
in order to be respected they must say and do correctly or risk social isolation.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I think they would be more welcomed via amnesty. Also while the IAs that are coming are uneducated, they do not lack the ability to learn, and neither their children. If efforts are focused into education the children of these individuals, not training them on how to be the 'welfare' class, after one generation we would have well educated individuals, that contribute more to the society than their parents did. It's a long time investment.
If said illegal aliens have such a gung-ho attitude: why are their homelands so damn screwed up?

Trust me: we as Americans do not need that cohort of 'immigrant'. There are still lots of US citizens willing to do the jobs that 'Americans won't do'----------especially in this recession/depression.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If amnesty passes, all of the relatives of illegals will join them here to take advantage of American benefits and tax-funded freebies. There will be few unskilled and uneducated Mexicans remaining in Mexico. Why should they, when the U.S. government is willing to ‘gift’ them our country?
And it's not even that you can't have compassion and sympathy for some of these people. It's just that throwing open the borders and having no immigration laws while maintaining a very generous welfare system, free health care for all, free education -- at $12,000 per child per year is simply not feasible.

People will bring up "compromise" but what would be a reasonable "compromise"? Amnesty for anyone who makes it over the border while amnesty is being brought up for discussion so they'll be here when it's given out?

Or amnesty for those who came in illegally 2 years or more ago but not for those who worked here for 5 years but stepped out of the country a month ago and now want to come back and claim it?

Or amnesty for all those who gave birth here but not to those who didn't?

And what of all those would be legal immigrants who are patiently waiting - but instead amnesty is handed out and the family reunification begins, the would be legal immigrants could be shut out forever.

I don't really see any fair amnesty -- we can't let the whole world come to get in on it, rewarding those who get here illegally and shutting the door on those who would obey the laws isn't right. Those who come to use the welfare programs by having kids would have dibs on this country over those who are hard workers who really don't ask a dime they didn't work to have.

And no amnesty is fair to the unemployed Americans who need some kind of job.

I don't hate all illegals - but I don't see amnesty as the way to go. There are illegals right now who if it were announced that they can forget amnesty would be on the next bus home, joining their families again and restarting their lives in Mexico. They'll hang on -- believing that amnesty is just around the corner while their children wish they could see their parents again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration