Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
PHOENIX - Saying they want to know how much it costs Arizona taxpayers to educate illegal immigrants, a Senate panel voted Wednesday to require public schools to ask parents to provide documents showing their children are in this country legally.

The 4-2 vote by the Senate Committee on Education Accountability and Reform came even after an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union said it would violate federal law. Alessandra Meetze said if lawmakers SB 1172 into law, her group will sue.

"Let them sue," responded Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, who crafted the legislation.

He acknowledged a 1982 U.S. Supreme Court decision forbids schools from refusing to enroll students who cannot prove they are legal U.S. residents. But he said nothing in that ruling prohibits schools from asking as long as no student is turned away for failing to provide the documentation sought.
Quote:
Pearce, a longtime foe of illegal immigration, said he's not trying to keep those youngsters out of school - at least not yet. All he's looking for now is information.
Senate bill would ask student immigration status | pearce, law, illegal - News - YumaSun

Smart move.

I'm certain that many of us would like to have a reasonable understanding of how much it costs taxpayers to subsidize the education of illegal aliens children. Wouldn't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,371,609 times
I'm trying to imagine what the methodology would be to do this. Are they going to require each child to present a copy of their social security card and/or birth certificate as part of the enrollment process? What is to say that people aren't going to start falsifying documents for children in the same way that they do for adults who do it to get hired at companies? The only viable solution I can think of is having each child go through E-verify and require a match by name, date of birth, social security number and gender. People are going to challenge that heavily though for human rights violations, etc.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I'm trying to imagine what the methodology would be to do this. Are they going to require each child to present a copy of their social security card and/or birth certificate as part of the enrollment process? What is to say that people aren't going to start falsifying documents for children in the same way that they do for adults who do it to get hired at companies? The only viable solution I can think of is having each child go through E-verify and require a match by name, date of birth, social security number and gender. People are going to challenge that heavily though for human rights violations, etc.
Why? They're not turning the children away, they're just gathering information. Pro-illegals must be really scared of the truth getting out on how much strain illegal immigration is putting on education. This way people wouldn't be able to use that tired a$$ line I hear on this forum ALL the time; "How do you know they're illegal?", now they'll KNOW.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Why? They're not turning the children away, they're just gathering information. Pro-illegals must be really scared of the truth getting out on how much strain illegal immigration is putting on education. This way people wouldn't be able to use that tired a$$ line I hear on this forum ALL the time; "How do you know they're illegal?", now they'll KNOW.
The knowing the truth can hurt, so if one can prevent it from being gathered it's 100% acceptable.

That doesn't seem right.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
That is a problem how? I see no human rights violations there. If a child is here illegally; he/she needs to be booted out of the USA along with its parents.

By law; children need SSN's shortly after being born.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,836 times
Quote:
"Let them sue," responded Sen. Russell Pearce, R-Mesa, who crafted the legislation.
Good for him!
I think every child should have to show a SS card prior to enrollment. I'm in favor of having the SS number crossmatched with name/DOB.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is a problem how? I see no human rights violations there. If a child is here illegally; he/she needs to be booted out of the USA along with its parents.

By law; children need SSN's shortly after being born.
Well me personally, I don't think it's the kid's fault that they are in a country illegally (assuming the parents took them across) and I don't feel they should be disallowed from getting an education because of something that was out of their control. I'm apparently the only one who feels this way though.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,655 times
Quote:
Well me personally, I don't think it's the kid's fault that they are in a country illegally (assuming the parents took them across) and I don't feel they should be disallowed from getting an education because of something that was out of their control. I'm apparently the only one who feels this way though.

They're not refusing education to anyone, they're just gathering information.

Quote:
Supreme Court decision forbids schools from refusing to enroll students who cannot prove they are legal U.S. residents. But he said nothing in that ruling prohibits schools from asking as long as no student is turned away for failing to provide the documentation sought

Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,952 times
So apparently any student who doesn't or can't provide a SSN card to be E-verified will be penciled in as an illegal? Works for me.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM

In that case, what's the point? Who will this information be disclosed to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration