Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Neutre: Portuguese and Brazilians are both non-Hispanic Latinos. I have a few Lusophone (Portuguese-speaking) friends who are sure to correct people if they are called "Hispanic" because Hispanic refers to a culture/background tracing its origins to Spain. Lusophones are Latino, not Hispanic.

Though AzBear recognizes that "Anglo" is a political label, millions of non-Hispanic/Latino white people in this country are NOT Anglo, including Italians, Iranians, Russians, Eastern European Jews, Lebanese, etc.
Well; I am 1/2 Hungarian and self-classify/am and classified as a Anglo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,088 times
Interesting. Though the Italian part of my family may not consider themselves "Hispanic," they certainly don't consider themselves "Anglo" either. They consider themselves to be non-Hispanic whites of Latin origin.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:59 AM

4,385 posts, read 5,117,677 times
I believe all countries in Latin America, including Brazil are considered Hispanic. Folks from Portugal and Spain are considered non-hispanic white/caucasian.

Diversity is a good thing. Immigration is a good thing, "but" only in small amounts. This country is ramming immigration down it's native populations collective throat. The capitalist system in this country has exausted all options as far as needed(cheap) labor goes, without upsetting the racial balance of this country. So they will do what they want to do. Honestly, it seems we don't have a choice. They have masterfully deflected the whole discussion of the massive amounts of total immigration we are experiencing, to illegal immigration. I mean, can you believe it? We have to fight like hell to get our own government to enforce it's own laws. They will keep the focus on illegal immgration till the the demographic tipping point is reached, at which time it won't matter anymore. I personally like the demographic balance we have now, any continuance of massive immigration will leave us a fractured country(but who the hell cares in a global economy, right?). If anyone want's any Erie's around anymore, they will have to stop the nonsense now, or there will not be any Erie's left. LA will be a Mexico City/Shenzen hybrid, Seattle will look like the current LA and Erie will look like present day Arlington, VA. If you don't want this to happen, you must attack both illegal immigrantion and massive legal immigration with equal ferocity. Very moderate legal immigration is absolutely essential however.....

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I believe all countries in Latin America, including Brazil are considered Hispanic. Folks from Portugal and Spain are considered non-hispanic white/caucasian.

Diversity is a good thing. Immigration is a good thing, "but" only in small amounts. This country is ramming immigration down it's native populations collective throat. The capitalist system in this country has exausted all options as far as needed(cheap) labor goes, without upsetting the racial balance of this country. So they will do what they want to do. Honestly, it seems we don't have a choice. They have masterfully deflected the whole discussion of the massive amounts of total immigration we are experiencing, to illegal immigration. I mean, can you believe it? We have to fight like hell to get our own government to enforce it's own laws. They will keep the focus on illegal immgration till the the demographic tipping point is reached, at which time it won't matter anymore. I personally like the demographic balance we have now, any continuance of massive immigration will leave us a fractured country(but who the hell cares in a global economy, right?). If anyone want's any Erie's around anymore, they will have to stop the nonsense now, or there will not be any Erie's left. LA will be a Mexico City/Shenzen hybrid, Seattle will look like the current LA and Erie will look like present day Arlington, VA. If you don't want this to happen, you must attack both illegal immigrantion and massive legal immigration with equal ferocity. Very moderate legal immigration is absolutely essential however.....
Funny about Arlington; I live there from 1969-78 and even back then we had a growing influx of Vietnamese, etc. Our few Latinos we counted as 'White' with the notable exception of the Puerto Ricans.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 PM

259 posts, read 788,524 times
Define 'White', please.

Not so long ago; Irish Catholics and Italians were considered to be 'non' White-----never mind that
genetically speaking, most Irish (and Northern Italian) people are of the same basic stock as Northern Spaniards let alone the English, Welsh, Scots, etc.

Prior to the use of the word 'Hispanic'; Latinos were usually counted as White as well.

Ok, to me white is people of European dissent. But you know what really confuses me. When people talk about races they say black, white, hispanics etc . What if you are non of them? I am 100% Swedish, yet I have darker skin and brown hair. I tan very easy. A lot of people who meet me think that I am Spanish or Italian. So, as silly as it may seem but I get pretty offensive. I am not Hispanic. I am white? Or am I. What I know for sure is that I am 100% Swedish. My family and our ancestors have been in Sweden as far as we could research.
I probably shouldn't worry about it but it drives me crazy to try to convince people that I am Swedish/white despite my darker then "Swedish" skin tone.
Do you understand what I am talking about at all?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Define 'White', please.

Not so long ago; Irish Catholics and Italians were considered to be 'non' White-----never mind that
genetically speaking, most Irish (and Northern Italian) people are of the same basic stock as Northern Spaniards let alone the English, Welsh, Scots, etc.

Prior to the use of the word 'Hispanic'; Latinos were usually counted as White as well.

Ok, to me white is people of European dissent. But you know what really confuses me. When people talk about races they say black, white, hispanics etc . What if you are non of them? I am 100% Swedish, yet I have darker skin and brown hair. I tan very easy. A lot of people who meet me think that I am Spanish or Italian. So, as silly as it may seem but I get pretty offensive. I am not Hispanic. I am white? Or am I. What I know for sure is that I am 100% Swedish. My family and our ancestors have been in Sweden as far as we could research.
I probably shouldn't worry about it but it drives me crazy to try to convince people that I am Swedish/white despite my darker then "Swedish" skin tone.
Do you understand what I am talking about at all?

Apparently; many so-called '100% Scandinavians' have up to 50% Asian heritage------look at the Icelandic singer, Bjork.

She looks part Japanese despite her denials.

DNA tells the tale.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Default News to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Apparently; many so-called '100% Scandinavians' have up to 50% Asian heritage------look at the Icelandic singer, Bjork.

She looks part Japanese despite her denials.

DNA tells the tale.

Oh so I am Asian now? Or at least part of me? Where did you read that? Can you give me the source cause I never heard about that one?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Oh so I am Asian now? Or at least part of me? Where did you read that? Can you give me the source cause I never heard about that one?
It was in Wikipedia; unless the article concerning the above was modified/deleted.

Many so-called 'full blood' Scandinavians have slanted eyes, high cheekbones, etc.

I used to know a woman from Norway (ethnic Norwegian); first time I met her I thought she was a Latina with light hair and eyes. Her facial features were definitely Eurasian though.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 AM

451 posts, read 309,860 times
Quote:
It was in Wikipedia; unless the article concerning the above was modified/deleted.

Many so-called 'full blood' Scandinavians have slanted eyes, high cheekbones, etc.

I used to know a woman from Norway (ethnic Norwegian); first time I met her I thought she was a Latina with light hair and eyes. Her facial features were definitely Eurasian though.

lol, I used to know a top golf player, he was black with slanted eyes, but I'a sure he was anglo, his ancestry was in wikipedia, but one day it no longer was, this is all very scientific beleive me...

Old 06-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:

It sounds like you discribing russians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration