U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688

Advertisements

Weeklong sweep of street gangs nets 65 arrests
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
May there be many more sweeps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:31 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,035,044 times
Reputation: 2873
I was going to be snarky about gangs that US citizens just won't do anymore but to ignore their immigration status for a minute it strikes me that these young men pizzed away a golden opportunity. They had access to the US education system (yes, its not that great but better then what they could've gotten in their home countries) and could have improved their lot in life but instead they join gangs for the easy money. To quote an old movie 'they could've been somebody' and instead they chose this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I was going to be snarky about gangs that US citizens just won't do anymore but to ignore their immigration status for a minute it strikes me that these young men pizzed away a golden opportunity. They had access to the US education system (yes, its not that great but better then what they could've gotten in their home countries) and could have improved their lot in life but instead they join gangs for the easy money. To quote an old movie 'they could've been somebody' and instead they chose this.
Absolutely! We keep hearing from a certain pro-illegal that we need to educate illegal aliens to give them the opportunity to succeed. Well, I agree with the old adage – “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” Mind you, another amnesty would legalize these 'pillars of society.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I was going to be snarky about gangs that US citizens just won't do anymore but to ignore their immigration status for a minute it strikes me that these young men pizzed away a golden opportunity. They had access to the US education system (yes, its not that great but better then what they could've gotten in their home countries) and could have improved their lot in life but instead they join gangs for the easy money. To quote an old movie 'they could've been somebody' and instead they chose this.
Furthermore, the defeated 2007 McCain-Kennedy amnesty bill would have granted amnesty to illegal alien gang members on the condition that they had to vow to 'renounce' their gang memberships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The article said dozens rounded up and several were illegal aliens. Several out of dozens does not equal most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac213 View Post
Sad. Dumb kids doing the wrong kind of assimilating into the wrong kind of American society.
Oh yeah that's it because there are zero gangs and zero crimes back in Mexico and Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
The article said dozens rounded up and several were illegal aliens. Several out of dozens does not equal most.
Key words -- mostly foreign.... I doubt they had their "passport" on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
 
380 posts, read 612,161 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Key words -- mostly foreign.... I doubt they had their "passport" on them.
I don't think you understood the first paragraph so I will paraphrase it for you:

The sweep was started to target gangs with foreign-born members. Then the article said that in that particular sweep they netted dozens of gang members and several of those were illegal. Foreign-born is not synonymous with illegal immigrant. Hypothetical example: My mother was born in the Dominican Republic (foreign-born) but now she is a citizen of the USA. Her sister was also born in the Dominican Republic (foreign-born) but entered the country illegally (undocumented immigrant or illegal alien, if you prefer)......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
I don't think you understood the first paragraph so I will paraphrase it for you:

The sweep was started to target gangs with foreign-born members. Then the article said that in that particular sweep they netted dozens of gang members and several of those were illegal. Foreign-born is not synonymous with illegal immigrant. Hypothetical example: My mother was born in the Dominican Republic (foreign-born) but now she is a citizen of the USA. Her sister was also born in the Dominican Republic (foreign-born) but entered the country illegally (undocumented immigrant or illegal alien, if you prefer)......
Oh I see. These gang members were legally here with visas, probably students and technical workers like programmers before they got jumped in.

That's odd, my wife who is a crime analyst says most of them give an alias in the hopes they can make bail before they are found to be here illegally and deported if they have a rap sheet. If they say they are an American then they too have to provide some sort of identification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top