Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,094,598 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31871487...storyContinued

Quote:
CONCEPCION CHIQUIRICHAPA, Guatemala - Leaving Guatemala 12 years ago was the hardest thing Carlos Sanchez had ever done. Until he decided to come back.

Sanchez still remembers the day he left home: saying goodbye to his parents; leaving his friends; that last tear-stained glimpse of his sweet mountain village in western Guatemala as the bus carried him over the ridge to an uncertain life in "the north." Painful, anxious times.
But not as hard as the return trip. When Sanchez, 36, arrived back in Central America recently, after living a third of his life as an illegal immigrant in suburban Washington, he stepped off the flight from Dulles International Airport into a cultural no man's land. He had been an outlaw migrant in one country; now he was a native-born stranger in the other. For years, Sanchez had worked all the overtime hours he could handle as a supervisor for a granite counter contractor in Springfield. Last year, overtime slipped to part time and then almost no time. After months of looking for work, he started looking at airfares.
Good-bye! Don't let the door hit you on our way out. I hope things like construction and the other jobs people put them in to avoid paying Americans still do bad so they can find work for another year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 09:22 AM

479 posts, read 658,451 times
Let's hope that is a trend!

Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,987,670 times
Typical sob story here.

Side note: I lived in Arlington, Va. from 1969-78 so I am somewhat familiar with the areas that Sanchez described.

Needless to say: adios, criminal.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 AM

706 posts, read 936,320 times
This is the only positive effect coming out of this economic downturn, but a welcome one at that. Now if we could only give the returning illegals one last job....building the fence..!

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,369,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
This is the only positive effect coming out of this economic downturn, but a welcome one at that. Now if we could only give the returning illegals one last job....building the fence..!
How about a 30 foot electric one?

Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,843,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Let's hope that is a trend!
With the economy in recession and how much it'll still be in bad shape after the recession ends, I happen to have hopes on that being a trend as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,281,475 times
I have been noticing less and less signs of illegal immigration here as well.

Economics is key. Maybe the most positive development will be that these (mostly young men) who come here will be able to go back to their home countries and work towards strengthening their economies at home.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,987,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Economics is key. Maybe the most positive development will be that these (mostly young men) who come here will be able to go back to their home countries and work towards strengthening their economies at home.
Ditto here in the Phx area also.

Apparently; the number of Spanish speaking radio stations is diminishing here as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:56 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Good ;lets spend a large amount of the stimulus on employing people to build the entire boder fence.Much as FDR did during the depression with dams etc. Since it been in the works since the 80's ;its more shovel ready than most projects and much can be done bu unskiiled woprkers.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 PM

706 posts, read 936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

I'm curious as to what the trend will become when the next amnesty proposal comes to the forefront in August. Will the exodus continue or will the the exodus come to a halt and the the illegal alien invasion not only continue,but get even worse. Remember, there is no concerted effort to enforce the current laws, and I don't expect the pols to suddenly begin enforcement, regardless of what those spokesholes in D.C. say....I've heard it all before....year after year...

BL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration