U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:20 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,374,366 times

Advertisements

The cost of tomatoes:

From an American school teacher - - -

"As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal
immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large
southern California high school that is designated a Title 1 school,
meaning that its students average lower socio-economic and income levels.

Most of the schools you are hearing about --- South Gate High, Bell Gardens,
Huntington Park, etc.--- where students are protesting, are also Title 1
schools.

One hundred percent of the students in this school and other Title 1 schools
are on the free breakfast and free lunch program. When I say free breakfast,
I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll --- but a full breakfast and a cereal
bar along with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud.

The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being
dumped in the trash uneaten! (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least
moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones. The school
also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as
young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to
arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing funding for
the upcoming year, even though there was little need for anything; my budget
was already substantial.

I ended up buying new computers for the computer-learning center; half of
which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative
students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in
America. (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers
whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country
less then 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling
them "Putas"(whores) and throwing things that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care etc., etc., etc. Is it any
wonder they feel entitled to not only be in this country but to demand
rights, privileges and entitlements?

To my bleeding-heart friends who want to point out how much these illegal
immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and
housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the
real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance costs, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more
crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new
diseases etc., etc., etc. As for me, I'd be glad to pay more for my
tomatoes.

We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it.

Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave our country and return to their own?

There are many hardworking Hispanic/American citizens that contribute to our
country and many that I consider my true friends. We should encourage and
accept those Hispanics who have done it the right and legal way.

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture
that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and
dropping out of school by 15, and that refuses to assimilate on one hand, and an American culture that has become so weak & worried about "politically correct" that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this make your blood boil, as it did mine, forward this to everyone you
know."

Don't forget to pay your taxes -- 30 million illegal aliens are depending on
you !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,302,471 times
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But what needs to be said is that it is our own government that is giving away our country. If we didn't have such a gutless wonder president and a do-nothing congress then maybe we wouldn't have our present situation. We have the resources to keep out this unrestricted mass of illegals if only we would enforce laws already on the book and quit making new legislation that kow tows to these people. I live in Texas and have been closely following the arrests, convictions and incarceration of the border patrol agents (Ramos & Compean) as well as the sheriff's deputy (Gilmer Hernandez) who is about to be tried because he slightly wounded a fleeing Mexican illegal who had tried to run him down.

All three of these men were prosecuted at the insistence of US Attorney Johnny Sutton after having been contacted by the Mexican government. Who does Sutton work for? We need a president and a congress who care more about the welfare of legal Americans than that of illegal immigrants. (I was horrified by the Dixie Chicks remarks about George Bush but sadly I am beginning to feel the same embarassment that they felt because Bush is from Texas.)

Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times
I have friends that were born in Mexico and they had to work hard learning
the constitution and English and all that other crap immigrants have to go
through to become a citizen . Also I have Vietnamese friends that did the
same thing.
Why is it that they should have to abide by the laws of our country but all
these people sneaking in should get amnesty and not have to do anything but
be criminals to get citizenship ?

Old 04-17-2007, 02:14 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,302,471 times
The bottom line here is that we Americans need to hold our elected officials accountable for the situation that they have created. They need to stand up for our own citizens and not fawn over and pander to those who would give away our country. All this "political correctness" needs to stop and it is in the hands of the voters to elect representatives who will put America and its citizens first.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:33 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,374,366 times
Default Chipanzees are smarter than American Senators!

Chimps More Evolved Than Humans

Jeanna Bryner
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com Tue Apr 17, 11:10 AM ET

Since the human-chimp split about 6 million years ago, chimpanzee genes can be said to have evolved more than human genes, a new study suggests.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070417/sc_livescience/chimpsmoreevolvedthanhumans (broken link)

WHO IS SMARTER?

1. http://jeremylott.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/dontdoit.jpg (broken link)

or

2. http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20070326/i/r1350675082.jpg (broken link)

My money is on the chipanzee. Even the Chimp can tell that illegal immigration is bad for the USA!!

Old 04-17-2007, 03:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
What is with this trend of CDers posting email forwards? Post something original, or something that can be substantiated...$10 says this is some junky email you got, and you have no idea who actually wrote it or if what they are saying is true.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:06 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
What is with this trend of CDers posting email forwards? Post something original, or something that can be substantiated...$10 says this is some junky email you got, and you have no idea who actually wrote it or if what they are saying is true.

christina, I have a little secret for ya, the Houston schools do too. and I didn't get from any e-mail....ever hear of television, that's where I got it, tv news and the Houston school district is very proud of giving your money away. And if we check around I'd bet we would find lots of others doing the same thing.....

Old 11-17-2007, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,522 times
I’m not sure what your experience was in school, but disdaining vegetables, wasting food, feeling entitled, insulting teachers, and defacing property sounds a lot like typical behavior experienced in schools everywhere, both in these “politically correct” days and decades ago, in cities all across America, among children and teens of every color and every income and every status of citizenship. Many if not most children and teens behave this way to some degree or another, whether the handouts come from the government or from their parents.

On the immigration issue, I’ve gone back and forth. I’m not sending this out as a soapbox for either side because I see the validity of both sides and I haven’t made up my mind. But one thing I am certain of, is that emails like this do absolutely nothing to encourage healing dialogue or solutions, but serve only to “boil blood,” “make people want to spit”…in other words, they encourage racial violence, and they represent a giant step backward for America. These words are hauntingly reminiscent of arguments I’ve heard and read against black people, and against Jewish people, and I wonder how many people on this email list feel similarly toward them as well. Are “jokes” about building an alligator-filled moat around our country’s perimeter to kill illegal immigrants funny to you? Is that representative of American democratic ideals, or of Christian love?

Do you really believe that sticking in a couple sentences like “I know a few Hispanic people who I actually like,” or “I hope this doesn’t offend you,” excuses you from being held accountable for [mod]Personal attack [mod/cut]?

No one who lives on this continent can claim first rights to it. We all came from somewhere else. We’ve all needed and received help in our lives before. Some help we were grateful for, and we used it to become more self-sufficient. Some help we wasted and resented. This is human nature, not Hispanic nature.

Move this email into your trash can, or forward it to whomever you want – I don’t care. I just couldn’t ignore what I’ve read and by my silence allow others to think I agree with it. I can be a fiercely patriotic American without being a Republican. I can be grateful for the sacrifice of our troops without supporting this war. I can be a Christian without hating gay people. I can disapprove of newspapers that run offensive material about Jesus but still support their right to do so under our First Amendment. I can despise terrorism and still befriend a person of Muslim faith. Prejudice and hatred are un-American and un-Christian.

Last edited by Synopsis; 11-17-2007 at 04:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 04:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I have friends that were born in Mexico and they had to work hard learning
the constitution and English and all that other crap immigrants have to go
through to become a citizen . Also I have Vietnamese friends that did the
same thing.
Why is it that they should have to abide by the laws of our country but all
these people sneaking in should get amnesty and not have to do anything but
be criminals to get citizenship ?
Actually, you can't get citizenship just by entering the country. If the illegals want to become citizens, they too would have to go through the process in one way or the other.
Other immigrants must go through the immigration process, which the illegals don't. That is unfair, and I agree without a doubt. But the situation is not comparable when it's about becoming a citizen.

Can we really be certain of the authencity of the OP post? "An American school teacher" is very general, and unless there is a name and a school and a date, the source is by scientific measurements not credible. Source criticism need to be applied in cases such as this.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Great find Nirvana-Guy! I'd rep you if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration