U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 AM

103 posts, read 121,220 times

Advertisements

A bipartisan task force will recommend today that the United States overhaul its immigration system in response to national security concerns, saying that the country should end strict quotas on work-based immigrant visas to maintain its scientific, technological and military edge.

"The continued failure to devise and implement a sound and sustainable immigration policy threatens to weaken America's economy, to jeopardize its diplomacy, and to imperil its national security," concluded an independent Council on Foreign Relations panel, co-chaired by former Florida governor Jeb Bush (R) and former Clinton White House chief of staff Thomas V. "Mack" McLarty III.

The report comes as President Obama and Congressional Democrats say they expect to begin debate on a comprehensive immigration plan within a year. But key Republicans -- including Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), the 2008 Republican presidential nominee and co-sponsor of previous overhaul legislation -- have said a plan must include expanding temporary-worker programs.

washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:42 AM

706 posts, read 796,624 times
Let's see...

Jeb Shrub. Pro Amnesty.
John McCain. Pro Amnesty
Charles Schumer. Pro Amnesty
Raul H. Yzaguirre.Former president and ceo of La Raza. Pro Amnesty ?
Eliseo Medina S.E.I.U. Pro Amnesty.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Pro Amnesty.
Council on Foreign Relations. Pro Amnesty.

Sounds pretty "Bi-Partisan" to me....

Not..

Same garbage....different day .

Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Factoring in that our de factor under/unemployment rate is ca. 20% for Americans alone---------any sort of amnesty for illegal aliens would be a catalyst for civil unrest.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/to...e%20unemployed

Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM

"In the global competition to attract highly talented immigrants, the United States must ensure that it remains the destination of first choice," the group concluded, such as by minimizing restrictions on scientific collaboration and permitting broader recruitment of newcomers who bolster U.S. military capabilities. "America's long-term security depends on maintaining its place as a world leader in science and technology."

Which begs the question....Why can't American Universities produce qualified candidates for these positions ? Are our Colleges and Universities no longer capable of producing high quality graduates ?

Old 07-08-2009, 11:31 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
"In the global competition to attract highly talented immigrants, the United States must ensure that it remains the destination of first choice," the group concluded, such as by minimizing restrictions on scientific collaboration and permitting broader recruitment of newcomers who bolster U.S. military capabilities. "America's long-term security depends on maintaining its place as a world leader in science and technology."

Which begs the question....Why can't American Universities produce qualified candidates for these positions ? Are our Colleges and Universities no longer capable of producing high quality graduates ?
Especially factoring in the growing numbers of so-called 'white collar' jobs being outsourced to India, etc; the incentive for Americans to aspire to the above is fast disappearing. Toss $$$ in student loans into the mix..........

Plus we already have a glut of college grads who are unable to find even menial work.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,175,422 times
Quote:

They can, but judging from my class demographics, more than half will not stay in the U.S. Also, as far as equipment goes, the U.S. used to have a much larger advantage to most countries. I do not think this is the case anymore. I just read this article in Nature, I know it's not representative but it exemplifies to some effect the stance of some other countries with regards to education.

Access : Science education: Reading, writing and nanofabrication : Nature News

I do not know if you need special access for this article. But for those who have it, it's a nice read.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM

"They can, but judging from my class demographics, more than half will not stay in the U.S."

Then,why should we educate those who will not stay in the U.S.A ? If the only purpose is to educate someone who will eventually leave and take his/her skills elsewhere, I don't see the benefit for the US....

"Also, as far as equipment goes, the U.S. used to have a much larger advantage to most countries. I do not think this is the case anymore"

Is it because the other countries have caught up with our technology,or simply because it was given to them ?

Regards

Last edited by borderlord; 07-09-2009 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: ending

Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 AM

804 posts, read 1,175,422 times
Quote:
"They can, but judging from my class demographics, more than half will not stay in the U.S."

Then,why should we educate those who will not stay in the U.S.A ? If the only purpose is to educate someone who will eventually leave and take his/her skills elsewhere, I don't see the benefit for the US....
I do not know why is this. Maybe someone who works at a graduate program admissions office can expand on this topic for us. But my Dean mentioned on the welcome speech, that around half of the incoming class are international students. Since I am a permanent resident, I am not counted towards this number.

But, most of the people who come as international students to do a masters pay out of their own pocket, at my school that is around $35K/year on tuition alone + room & board. Those doing Ph.D.s still work under advisors who pay for their full tuition, healthcare, and stipend. But again, advisors depend on Ph.D. students to get funding as well, so it's a two way relationship.

Quote:

"Also, as far as equipment goes, the U.S. used to have a much larger advantage to most countries. I do not think this is the case anymore"

Is it because the other countries have caught up with our technology,or simply because it was given to them ?

Regards
They have caught up, the latest equipment is crazy expensive. They are just prioritizing education and research over other things, and spending massive amounts of money on it. Did you get a chance to read the article?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM

"Did you get a chance to read the article?"

Nope...just the opening lines
$10/ month online subscription requird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration