U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
804 posts, read 1,176,856 times
Reputation: 137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Why are we forced to let illegals go? If they come to the attention of the law, they should be taken into custody and have deportation proceedings begun. Let's pretend that in the past I robbed a bank. If I am driving at night with a broken tail light, the cops pull me over because of the tail light. They enter my information into their computer and lo and behold I am wanted for robbing a bank. I strongly suspect that their next step would be to arrest me and take me in.
I'm sorry, It's Friday night and I'm a little tipsy so my typing might not be as good. The problem is that cops cannot enter your information into their computer and lo and behold get a warning that the individual is a illegal alien. Specially for an out-of-state drivers license. They can see if there is a warrant for their arrest, but no legal status, they have to ask for it.

Now, by your bank robber example, how would you feel if they asked you if you were a bank robber, and when you say no, they would not believe you and ask you for proof that you were not a bank robber. And then they arrest you if you have not proof that you are not a bank robber.

Now, to get a replacement resident card you have to fill form I-90 that including the biometrics fee it's a total of $370, so I store my permanent resident card at a bank's secure deposit box. So any time I get stopped, if I get asked for a green card I would not be able to show it, because it's on a bank safe, causing me to get arrested. So I either carry a $370 card in my wallet or risk getting arrested by a police officer that does not believe that I am a legal resident.

What would you think if your driver's license would cost $370 to replace, would you carry it around, or would you rather store it in a safe place.


Quote:

They were not specifically looking for me, the bank robber, but if I drive around with something like a broken tail light I run the risk of drawing their attention and being arrested.
What if all I got when I robbed the bank was $2000? Or what if I shoplifted $75 worth of clothes? Good Lord, an illegal steals more than that from the US taxpayers when they skip out on the hospital bills for their anchor baby. (I don't give a hoot if said anchor is an American. The hospital bills are sent to the parents to pay, not the baby.)
Some of them do, some of them don't. I know of a multitude of IA's who are not public charges, who work and create companies. I have helped some of them set up their companies so they can pay taxes and not have to do ID theft. I agree with you that IA who come here for welfare should be deported, I think the pratice is despicable, and if you come to this country is to work, not to leech of the system, but that's not all of them, and a distinction should be made.

Quote:
Frankly, I am sick and tired of way Americans are expected to obey the law while the invaders are free to do as they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 AM
 
8,640 posts, read 7,752,606 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So if they pull a guy over for a broken tail light and he happens to be a bank robber, do they have to let him go too?

Not if he is an American. Laws are not enforced against illegal immigrants. Many of these criminals get a pass or out of jail faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,118,937 times
Reputation: 302
so basically one has to wait until someone is killed or robbed or maimed by an Illegal Alien in order for law enforcement to be able to "enforce the law".. of course, ONCE the law is enforced in the event of a crime one would bet that the ACLU would fight tirelessly to ensure the Illegal Aliens' "rights are protected".. Nice to see that the Obama Administration has the safety of American Citizens at heart..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,118,937 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
That's right. All they have to do is

1. start shouting about racism and discrimination and

2. call NCLR, Lulac, MALDEF, ACLU, or the SPLC

and bingo! Any and all criminal charges disappear as if by magic!
Sadly this is all too true..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times
Reputation: 26707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Now, to get a replacement resident card you have to fill form I-90 that including the biometrics fee it's a total of $370, so I store my permanent resident card at a bank's secure deposit box. So any time I get stopped, if I get asked for a green card I would not be able to show it, because it's on a bank safe, causing me to get arrested. So I either carry a $370 card in my wallet or risk getting arrested by a police officer that does not believe that I am a legal resident.

What would you think if your driver's license would cost $370 to replace, would you carry it around, or would you rather store it in a safe place.

Excuses excuses. You and anyone else who has a green card are required by law to carry it and are required by law to produce it upon request. Why should a police officer take your word for it because you do not want to carry your green card in your wallet in spite of the fact that you are legally required to do so because you're afraid of losing a measly $370?

If you did get arrested and were unable to prove that you are here legally because you put your green card in a safe deposit box, that would be your problem and yours alone. No sympathy. If you do not like it, there's the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Excuses excuses. You and anyone else who has a green card are required by law to carry it and are required by law to produce it upon request. Why should a police officer take your word for it because you do not want to carry your green card in your wallet in spite of the fact that you are legally required to do so because you're afraid of losing a measly $370?

If you did get arrested and were unable to prove that you are here legally because you put your green card in a safe deposit box, that would be your problem and yours alone. No sympathy. If you do not like it, there's the door.
Absolutely! If the law requires one to carry a green card, it is stupid not to do so. I’m sick of illegals being ‘excused’ from obeying the law. I don’t care why one is stopped by the police. They are in this country in violation of our laws, and should be deported; including those with so-called “family ties.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post

Now, to get a replacement resident card you have to fill form I-90 that including the biometrics fee it's a total of $370, so I store my permanent resident card at a bank's secure deposit box. So any time I get stopped, if I get asked for a green card I would not be able to show it, because it's on a bank safe, causing me to get arrested. So I either carry a $370 card in my wallet or risk getting arrested by a police officer that does not believe that I am a legal resident.

What would you think if your driver's license would cost $370 to replace, would you carry it around, or would you rather store it in a safe place.

$370 or not: by law you are required to carry appropriate ID; especially in your case since you are not a US citizen-----------otherwise, you can be picked up and possibly deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,690,703 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Excuses excuses. You and anyone else who has a green card are required by law to carry it and are required by law to produce it upon request. Why should a police officer take your word for it because you do not want to carry your green card in your wallet in spite of the fact that you are legally required to do so because you're afraid of losing a measly $370?

If you did get arrested and were unable to prove that you are here legally because you put your green card in a safe deposit box, that would be your problem and yours alone. No sympathy. If you do not like it, there's the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! If the law requires one to carry a green card, it is stupid not to do so. I’m sick of illegals being ‘excused’ from obeying the law. I don’t care why one is stopped by the police. They are in this country in violation of our laws, and should be deported; including those with so-called “family ties.”
As both of you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,720,122 times
Reputation: 1285
Moderator cut: no need to make it personal

Quote:
The problem is that cops cannot enter your information into their computer and lo and behold get a warning that the individual is a illegal alien. Specially for an out-of-state drivers license. They can see if there is a warrant for their arrest, but no legal status, they have to ask for it.
Fair enough.

However........if the cops pull me over and they have reason to think that I might be a bank robber (canvas sacks full of money in the back seat, $100 bills scattered around on the floor, ski mask and loaded Glock on the seat next to me along with a book entitled 'How to Rob Banks for Fun and Profit'), then they should be able to investigate the situation further, agreed?

If they pull over an illegal alien for a traffic violation, whatever it is, and the person has no driver's license, no proof of insurance and does not speak English then common sense says that the police should at least be permitted to try to determine who this person is. To me, that is not unreasonable. If I am driving around with no ID and the police pull me over, they do not have to take my word that I am who I say I am. They may very well take me in until someone can bring me my walllet.

Quote:
Now, by your bank robber example, how would you feel if they asked you if you were a bank robber, and when you say no, they would not believe you and ask you for proof that you were not a bank robber. And then they arrest you if you have not proof that you are not a bank robber.
I don't think that is how it works.

Quote:
Now, to get a replacement resident card you have to fill form I-90 that including the biometrics fee it's a total of $370, so I store my permanent resident card at a bank's secure deposit box. So any time I get stopped, if I get asked for a green card I would not be able to show it, because it's on a bank safe, causing me to get arrested. So I either carry a $370 card in my wallet or risk getting arrested by a police officer that does not believe that I am a legal resident.

What would you think if your driver's license would cost $370 to replace, would you carry it around, or would you rather store it in a safe place.
If you are required by law to carry the card, then carry it. Some women carry around purses that cost more than that.
As a general rule, it is not a good idea to give the police reason to arrest you.


Quote:
Some of them do, some of them don't. I know of a multitude of IA's who are not public charges, who work and create companies. I have helped some of them set up their companies so they can pay taxes and not have to do ID theft. I agree with you that IA who come here for welfare should be deported, I think the pratice is despicable, and if you come to this country is to work, not to leech of the system, but that's not all of them, and a distinction should be made.

Last edited by Yac; 07-13-2009 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
 
1,476 posts, read 4,046,595 times
Reputation: 957
Kudos to Sheriff Joe, who said it will be business as usual for the Maricopa County Sheriffs Department.

Homeland Security Revises Immigration Plan, Limits Officers' Power to Arrest Illegals - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top