Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,628,875 times

Advertisements

i dont think illegals are driving up rents. at least not in LA> they arent moving to the ritzy desirable areas. they only work there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What we are going to see is a mass exodus of IAs out of CA when the social service flow stops here in the next couple of months (Thank you Arnold). There will be even less need for expensive rent, homes or additional schools when that happens. Look out Nevada, they are coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,366,170 times
As a follow up...

I have not heard a whisper from the Los Angeles times.

The American Press is not free, it is controlled.

Everything printed is controlled by editors and special intrerest like the government!

Nothing is free except your opinion.

I shared it and got zero response.

Let that be a lesson to you all.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,485,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't need to vote on my feet to leave the State of California. I voted for Proposition 187 in 1994 which was repealed and would have restricted benefits to illegal aliens. I would honestly like to see a study that would show how much money the State of California would have today, along with how many illegals actually would reside here if Prop. 187 had been allowed to stand.
My guess: There would be no difference in the number of illegal aliens in CA today if 187 had not been struck down. Pete Wilson made his support of 187 contingent upon it NOT containing provisions to jail the employers of illegals. Jobs have more to do with attracting illegal immigration than benefits. Thats why Texas has surpassed CA as a destination for new illegal immigrants (CA has more total because of illegal immigration in the past). The state would have had more money. In fact Wilson in a speech to an agricultural group said that 187 was only designed to reduce costs to the state and would not have reduced the number of illegals in the state at all. He just sold it to the public like it would have.

Now, if there had been a proposition which would have mandated jail time for those who knowingly employ illegals (which I would support) AND asset forfeiture of businesses which employ illegals (something I believe to be unconstitutional and do NOT support), that would have drastically reduced the number of illegal immigrants in California.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:51 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,366,092 times
Take the reasons they come here, away and they will only come as tourists.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,466,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The 'fat lady' has yet to warm up...................

Trust me: when California has enough------------that state will turn against the illegals in its midst, to be very polite.
And that will be a problem. The politicians seem to almost want things to become extreme rather than do their job before things become a disaster.

Laws are deliberately not enforced even while economic collapse is close.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What we are going to see is a mass exodus of IAs out of CA when the social service flow stops here in the next couple of months (Thank you Arnold). There will be even less need for expensive rent, homes or additional schools when that happens. Look out Nevada, they are coming.
The problem is -- that will be just the working types who leave. The ones who stay will be just as government dependent as always. How does the illegal unwed mother with 8 young children pack up and leave to find work in some other state? She never was here to work and has no job skills and the people of other states aren't as into the live-in nannies and housekeepers as the people of California are.

I think when the food stamps and other government handouts are cut, many won't leave but will riot and loot and burn.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Take the reasons they come here, away and they will only come as tourists.
It's too late now to realize that. A large number of them do already rely on free health care and foodstamps. Many subsidize their welfare handouts with cash made from working but the cost of living in the USA is far too high to make it here with a large family on the low wages they will take. No way can illegals support their families back home with $400 or more a month remittances and support their families here. Something has to give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration