Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's true. I've known....worked with...helped, and been helped by....'partied with'....and even been RELATED TO....illegals, for decades. Most have been fine, enjoyable people, on a personal. one-on-one level. At one time, illegals actually DID DO the 'jobs Americans didn't want'....they kept 'below the radar', were GRATEFUL to be HERE and not in Mexico, were cheerful..... and were almost universally 'macho', which meant that most of them were far too 'proud' to accept 'charity' of any kind..including welfare.

Those days are gone. The illegals have changed, their SHEER NUMBERS have exploded, our politicians have changed, and our society can no longer accomodate the constant arrival of new illegals without increasingly serious stress and disruption.

What's happening re: illegal immigration, TODAY, certainly DOES have elements of theft, fraud, and all sorts of other crime inherent in it. It's no longer a 'petty' thing at all...and it can no longer be addressed with a 'wink', either.
That's true. When a few people came only with the intention of working here for a time and returning home to their families, things were a bit different.

Those people didn't march in the streets with big Mexican flags demanding they be rewarded with citizenship for having broken the law. Many returned home within a short time, and they didn't expect welfare and many government handouts.

It's a different type you see -- the example of Elvira Arellano, a woman perfectly content to lay around and do nothing living free of charge in some church, never working at all but using her anchor baby to demand everything she wished even though she broke many laws. Some still might be relatively good, hard working but all too many are not at all and just here looking for what they can take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:48 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Correct. And you don't need to illegally enter the US in order to survive, either. It's a personal choice, mostly enabled by the fact that the US simply happens to be where it is. I've known MANY Mexican illegals over MANY years, and I have yet to meet a single one who said that he/ she came here to avoid starvation. The vast majority come simply for an improvement in their standard of living.....no different in many ways from the tens of thousands of Americans who migrated temporarily to Alaska to build the pipeline....except that this was LEGAL, and most of them left after the job was over. So did Mexican migrants, back in the 'bracero' days.

If poor Mexicans 'can't survive' unless they sneak into the US, how would you address the problems of poor Haitians...or poor Congolese....or poor Somalis? Compared to THESE places, Mexico is a prosperous place.
This is non sequitur.

You were trying to compare leaving water out for illegal immigrants to leaving out tools that were only feasibly used to commit crimes. The water is only for them to survive. The only way it could possibly be against the law is if you knew that a specific criminal event was about to happen.

If you leave the door open for a burglar to get in, you're aiding and abetting. If you leave a sandwich just in case a burglar comes in, you're not doing anything noteworthy.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
This is non sequitur.

You were trying to compare leaving water out for illegal immigrants to leaving out tools that were only feasibly used to commit crimes. The water is only for them to survive. The only way it could possibly be against the law is if you knew that a specific criminal event was about to happen.

If you leave the door open for a burglar to get in, you're aiding and abetting. If you leave a sandwich just in case a burglar comes in, you're not doing anything noteworthy.
Leaving water out in the desert near known trails of illegal aliens is also aiding and abetting.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
This is non sequitur.

If you leave out sandwiches for those who break into your house, I'd recommend you keep that a secret. It could be misinterpreted by your family, your neighbors, your insurance agent,....and (if you decide to call them), by the police. Otherwise, you sound like a very nice person....if not always practical.

Perhaps those who would break into your house are professional thieves, are unemployed, and truly do NEED to steal from you in order to "survive"; that's your call....but please, don't give them MY address.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:33 AM

291 posts, read 413,830 times
Quote:
If you leave out sandwiches for those who break into your house, I'd recommend you keep that a secret. It could be misinterpreted by your family, your neighbors, your insurance agent,....and (if you decide to call them), by the police. Otherwise, you sound like a very nice person....if not always practical.

Perhaps those who would break into your house are professional thieves, are unemployed, and truly do NEED to steal from you in order to "survive"; that's your call....but please, don't give them MY address.
wont let me op you but ,Great post! thanks need to smile at a little common sense!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:39 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm not condoning anything here, except for the cessation of human suffering.
What's the problem with water.

I guess I'm just glad to be buddhist where we hold all people the same, instead of the people on this thread who wish for the death of another human.

I just boggle, some of you, not the poster I'm responding to, are all for the "right-to-life" until birth, or until you're what I want you to be.

There are ways to return people to their own countries, wishing them death is not the best or christer way.
the border patrol will be happy to give them some water on their way back to mexico...

Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
<<So do you think those devices in the side of the road set up to "wake-up" people should not be there because they are helping people drive while fatigued?>>

You have to consider intent. A person driving while fatigued doesn't intend to cause an accident, and possibly kill someone, whereas someone crossing the border illegally fully intends to cross that border illegally. In this scenario you're aiding a person who you know is purposely committing a crime.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,369 times
All water has bacteria in it, unless thoroughly sterilzed. What happens to those bacteria after days, or possibly weeks, of sitting in the desert heat? Do you suppose they multiply?

What happens when one group of illegal aliens decides to use all the water in one spot for washing their hands and faces, bathing the baby, and maybe washing out a few clothes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration