Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Greedy employers who prefer cheap illegal labor exist in many areas so that's how the illegals get by until they have anchor babies born to bring in welfare handouts. They are given Medicaid and food stamps whereever they choose to go and it's required that the social workers offer them their government handouts in Spanish.

They aren't here to assimilate with Americans so what difference does it make to them that they don't understand Americans -- they plan to bring in their extended families and former village in no time anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Greedy employers who prefer cheap illegal labor exist in many areas so that's how the illegals get by until they have anchor babies born to bring in welfare handouts. They are given Medicaid and food stamps whereever they choose to go and it's required that the social workers offer them their government handouts in Spanish.

They aren't here to assimilate with Americans so what difference does it make to them that they don't understand Americans -- they plan to bring in their extended families and former village in no time anyhow.
Yeah but if they live in a state where the percentage of people who speak Spanish as a first language is very small, I wonder how these illegals feel when they go to the local supermarket or the local shopping mall in a state like Kentucky or Tennessee where they are not constantly surrounded by Spanish speakers. They must feel extremely isolated from a language point of view. That kind of life does not sound very desirable to me when you live in a place where you can not understand what the overwhelming majority of the population around you is saying.

You are not going to be able to make a whole lot of friends in Tennessee or Kentucky if you can not speak English well if your life depended on it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Yeah but if they live in a state where the percentage of people who speak Spanish as a first language is very small, I wonder how these illegals feel when they go to the local supermarket or the local shopping mall in a state like Kentucky or Tennessee where they are not constantly surrounded by Spanish speakers. They must feel extremely isolated from a language point of view. That kind of life does not sound very desirable to me when you live in a place where you can not understand what the overwhelming majority of the population around you is saying.

You are not going to be able to make a whole lot of friends in Tennessee or Kentucky if you can not speak English well if your life depended on it.
Actually KY and TN have a couple of hotspots for illegals. Both are still pretty low on the illegal alien count (specifically Kentucky) but they are leaving their presence felt in some spots. In KY, Okolona (area in Southern Louisville) and Shelbyville have seen a boom in the latino population which invites illegal aliens to come on in. One lady who posted here from Shelbyville said she has seen nothing but young hispanic girls carrying babies in a local shopping mall. I also heard on the KY forum that Western Ky is seeing illegals at alarming rates. In TN, Shelbyville has had a lot of controversy with one chicken plant that hired illegals. Anitoch/Nashville i've heard also has a lot of illegals.

Lesson here: NO PLACE IS SAFE FROM ILLEGALS!!!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
"Lesson here: NO PLACE IS SAFE FROM ILLEGALS!!!"

That pretty much sums it up....

Short,sweet,and oh so true.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 PM

709 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
"Lesson here: NO PLACE IS SAFE FROM ILLEGALS!!!"

That pretty much sums it up....

Short,sweet,and oh so true.
Ever pick up a White pages residential phone listings book from Kentucky or Tennessee ? You do not see too many people listed who have Spanish sounding last names.

It is overwhelmingly dominated by typical Anglo sounding last names like Smith, Johnson, Dickinson, Cunningham, etc.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 AM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
Quote:
Ever pick up a White pages residential phone listings book from Kentucky or Tennessee ? You do not see too many people listed who have Spanish sounding last names.

It is overwhelmingly dominated by typical Anglo sounding last names like Smith, Johnson, Dickinson, Cunningham, etc.
That may be true...but the problem still exists. (Of course,it could be in decline)

Not exactly Calif,Proportions but........

Tennessee

Summary Demographic State Data (and Source)Population (2008 CB est.):6,214,888Population (2000 Census):5,689,283Foreign-Born Population (2008 FAIR est.):268,475Foreign-Born Population (2000 Census): 159,004Share Foreign-Born (2008 FAIR est.):4.3%Share Foreign-Born (2000): 2.8%Immigrant Stock (2000 CB est.):232,000Share Immigrant Stock (2000 est.):4.1%Naturalized U.S. Citizens (2000 Census):53,185Share Naturalized (2000):33.4%Legal Immigrant Admission (INS 1993-2002):42,210Refugee Admission (2001 HHS):924Illegal Alien Population (2008 FAIR est.):110,000Cost of Illegal Aliens (2007 FAIR):$283,000,000Projected 2050 Population - (2006 FAIR):8,451,765

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR):

Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:

Had I lived in W Va as an adult; my original surname would have been flagged as 'Hispanic' despite my having no Spanish heritage----------and, I am Nordic White in looks.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Had I lived in W Va as an adult; my original surname would have been flagged as 'Hispanic' despite my having no Spanish heritage----------and, I am Nordic White in looks.
I am brown and Hispanic and damn proud of my heritage but I HATE illegals and all they stand for.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Here's what they do so they're not so lonely...

They have more babies and import their friends and family. Next is the dude selling oranges and fruit on street corners. Then the dude upgrades and gets a truck to sell his stuff out the back of the truck. Then he upgrades more and they open little stores with products they like to buy. Then you get your first Spanish language TV station. Then you look up and see signs in Spanish. When you see signs in Spanish, have spanish radio stations, and tv channels that's when you realize it's too late. You're being enculturated.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Here's what they do so they're not so lonely...

They have more babies and import their friends and family. Next is the dude selling oranges and fruit on street corners. Then the dude upgrades and gets a truck to sell his stuff out the back of the truck. Then he upgrades more and they open little stores with products they like to buy. Then you get your first Spanish language TV station. Then you look up and see signs in Spanish. When you see signs in Spanish, have spanish radio stations, and tv channels that's when you realize it's too late. You're being enculturated.
Yes, they know that being a handful is only temporary because soon they'll have their whole extended family over and many many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration