U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:12 AM

706 posts, read 796,204 times

Advertisements

Schumer must have taken a play out of the International Terrorist Playbook :
Take a hostage and then offer to negotiate....
Chuckie must have missed the memo...We don't negotiate with terrorists, even domestic terrorists.

"Given these realities, it would be reasonable to assume that New York’s powerful senior senator would be using his considerable political clout to make sure that all glaring threats to America’s security are addressed. Instead, Sen. Charles Schumer stated in late June that securing America’s borders would have to wait until after enactment of a massive amnesty for illegal aliens.

In that statement Schumer makes some troubling admissions. He concedes that we do not have operational control of our borders, and that we have failed to commit the resources necessary to restore control. Schumer is willing to make restoration of control of our borders contingent on political considerations.
Why, eight years after 9/11, do we not have operational control of our borders? And why should reasserting control have to wait for anything? Congress and the president have a moral and constitutional obligation to use all resources already available to protect the security of the nation.

Unfortunately, Schumer and many in Washington seem prepared to use homeland security as a bargaining chip to leverage another massive amnesty for illegal aliens...."

SNIP

Daniel Stein: Schumer rates amnesty for illegals over security : Opinion : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/149/story/732678.html - broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:20 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. I still remember the BIG amnesty of '86, when the 'pols' stated, in essence, "you let US legalize three million people, and WE'LL secure the border" Well, "we" did that...and "they" didn't. We (the public) got burned. Today, it would be hard to find anyone 'grateful' for that amnesty....most of what it engendered has been frustration, resentment, and a sense of entitlement.

Many advocates at that time promised "this will be the LAST amnesty", and I'm going to hold them to their word. I do NOT have any faith that, even if we DID have another amnesty, that our borders would suddenly be made 'secure'. Sounds like a simple case of extortion to me....not all that surprising, considering who's 'pushing' it.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
no, its deportation. then border security. then amnesty he have to whittle down the masses. keep people out. keep the hard working folk.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:56 PM

291 posts, read 353,151 times
Tar and feather that traitor march him and the rest across the border..

DEPORT NO AMNESTY EMPLOYER CHECKS BORDER WALL AND ORDERS TO SHOOT!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM

6,550 posts, read 12,609,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sorry, but I'm not buying it. I still remember the BIG amnesty of '86, when the 'pols' stated, in essence, "you let US legalize three million people, and WE'LL secure the border" Well, "we" did that...and "they" didn't. We (the public) got burned. Today, it would be hard to find anyone 'grateful' for that amnesty....most of what it engendered has been frustration, resentment, and a sense of entitlement.

Many advocates at that time promised "this will be the LAST amnesty", and I'm going to hold them to their word. I do NOT have any faith that, even if we DID have another amnesty, that our borders would suddenly be made 'secure'. Sounds like a simple case of extortion to me....not all that surprising, considering who's 'pushing' it.
Basically agree with this.

HOWEVER, the fact of the matter is that we are NOT capable of rounding up and effectively deporting all of the illegals currently residing in the country.... At least not with the P.C. methods that we'd be required to employ to meet that end...

One of two things HAS to happen...

1) Either make the crack-down on companies that hire illegals SO severe that no company would be stupid enough to risk employing one.

OR

2) We come up with an EFFECTIVE border control policy that possibly includes a "shoot on sight" rule BEFORE we enact our final amnesty... In a perfect world they'd enact this under cover of darkness and swiftly so we don't have a flood of illegals coming in just under the gun to receive "amnesty"....

Old 07-14-2009, 01:42 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Basically agree with this.

HOWEVER, the fact of the matter is that we are NOT capable of rounding up and effectively deporting all of the illegals currently residing in the country.... At least not with the P.C. methods that we'd be required to employ to meet that end...

One of two things HAS to happen...

1) Either make the crack-down on companies that hire illegals SO severe that no company would be stupid enough to risk employing one.

OR

2) We come up with an EFFECTIVE border control policy that possibly includes a "shoot on sight" rule BEFORE we enact our final amnesty... In a perfect world they'd enact this under cover of darkness and swiftly so we don't have a flood of illegals coming in just under the gun to receive "amnesty"....

I think the approach of this senator is incorrect, I think any attempts to create a path for legalization should be coupled with border/employment enforcement as well as with reform of current eligibility to migrate as to not be family based.

But suggesting a "shoot on sight" rule seem to take a lot from your argument. I think if I would be a random reader or listener and would be paying attention to you, I would completely lose interest in what you have to say after you suggest such a radical idea, that opens the U.S. to charges of human rights violations.

Path to legalization and THEN enforcement is not the way.

Enforcement and THEN path to legalization is not the way.

Both at the same time, in the same bill is the way to go.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Enforcement and THEN path to legalization is not the way.

Why not, if I may ask?...

Old 07-14-2009, 01:49 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why not, if I may ask?...
Quote:
The same issue that you described, but in reverse. Now you have >12 Million individuals who are here illegally and no political will to fix it. Both sides need to compromise at the same time and come up with a balanced bill.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
The same issue that you described, but in reverse. Now you have >12 Million individuals who are here illegally and no political will to fix it. Both sides need to compromise at the same time and come up with a balanced bill.
I see no reason to compromise with a bunch of illegal alien criminals--------especially with the deep recession/depression we are in.

Kick the above losers out.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
No political will to fix it? Where did you come up with that one? What makes you think having the border secured would suddenly make the presence of millions of illegals acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or