U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,085,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
"I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.

Maybe the Mods will create an "Obesity" forum where this rather large issue can be discussed.

Or perhaps the will be so kind as to create a forum for "Diversions" where posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand can be discussed.

In the meantime,I'll head back to thr ILLEGAL Immigration forum and see if I can add some fat to the fire there....
If you read the post, simply pointing out that there are other things that are pressing. The effects of illegal immigration are typically grossly over-hyped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you really have to ask? Illegal immigration is just that -- illegal.

Here in the Land of the Free there's no law against over-eating, YET! God help us if there ever is one.
So is jay walking. In my hometown it is illegal to build a house without a fireplace...despite the average temp. being closer to 80. The "illegal is illegal" argument is really, well, an overly simplified argument. Laws are made by man, thus legality is subjective.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
IMO, the average obese person cannot cost more than the average illegal unless the obese person:

1. dropped out of school in the 7th grade
2. refuses to speak english
3. has swarms of kids that he/she cannot pay for
and (drumroll).............
4. drags over a never ending stream of equally uneducated relatives from a Third World country.

Your typical fat person cannot begin to do the damage to the US that an illegal alien can. Besides, hispanics have a high rate of obesity so we may end up with obese illegal aliens.
Actually, the health costs alone are staggering. The lost production cost also compounds the problem.

Illegals have children that add value to the society that a) have a higher than 7th grade education b) do speak English and c) typically have their roots here in America...

See, the highest rates of obesity are poor Americans...regardless of race/ethnicity.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Because some people have different beliefs and the belief that one issue is more significant than another can be very much subjective.

Shouldn't gun control advocates focus on something more pressing such as diabetes, which kills more people than gun violence does?

And shouldn't diabetes awareness advocates focus on something more pressing such as vehicular accidents, which kills more people than diabetes?

And shouldn't vehicular safety advocates focus on something more pressing such as cancer deaths which kills more people than vehicular accidents?

I could go on forever.
True, but the main point here is that these people acknowlege that there are more pressing issues. It seems that many are so obsessed with illegal immigration that they view it as the number issue facing America. There are other, more pressing issues. Strictly speaking on a monetary basis...this is an example. I picked obesity because, it draws attention. Not because this is a cause I feel the strongest about (I do care, but again, I care about a wide variety of things).

So you see, this is to say that illegal immigrantion is not the biggest problem as many have implied. Post like "Illegals caused the mortgage crisis" support my inference.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,031,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you really have to ask? Illegal immigration is just that -- illegal.

Here in the Land of the Free there's no law against over-eating, YET! God help us if there ever is one.
My thoughts exactly!

Illegals are indeed illegal, whether obese or not.

It's perfectly legal for Americans to be here and to be fat at the same time!

Of course there are larger issues out there to worry about; however, here we discuss the impact illegal immigration has on the United States. that1guy, these are two different issues entirely. We can worry about both, but here we leave the fat, poor people alone... as long as they are legal American citizens.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,314,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
fail to acknowledge the costs of obesity. In 2004 the "cost" of illegal immigration was stated to be $10 billion annually. Granted, this study is 5 years old, yet the costs would not have dramatically increased. Illegal Immigrants' Cost to Government Studied (washingtonpost.com)

However, obesity costs $41 billion annually. Some researchers have shown, those that live in more conservative areas are more likely to be obese (the deep South, the Midwest, the intermountain region...)

So this begs the question, why focus on the costs of illegal immigration...and not on other more pressing issues?

I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.
Oh please!!! Illegals cost this country way more than fat people. I know skinny people that use the healthcare system far more than some of the fatties I know do. The BS that fatties use more than others is just that, BS. Some do and most don't.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,552,571 times
bek the the fat will die young, happy and helpless
but not so the illegals.
a sobering thought ----if america cant stop 21 million unarmed invaders could they stop armed invaders.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:51 AM

3,640 posts, read 4,314,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
True, but the main point here is that these people acknowlege that there are more pressing issues. It seems that many are so obsessed with illegal immigration that they view it as the number issue facing America. There are other, more pressing issues. Strictly speaking on a monetary basis...this is an example. I picked obesity because, it draws attention. Not because this is a cause I feel the strongest about (I do care, but again, I care about a wide variety of things).

So you see, this is to say that illegal immigrantion is not the biggest problem as many have implied. Post like "Illegals caused the mortgage crisis" support my inference.
Fat people is not a more pressing issue than illegals. Facts are facts. There will always be fat people and there will always be people who complain about them because they are about the last bunch of people that people, who think they are better, can pick on without being called a bigot or racist. How about we pick on people with long hair. Do you realize how much it is costing this country with the lice problem?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Oh please!!! Illegals cost this country way more than fat people. I know skinny people that use the healthcare system far more than some of the fatties I know do. The BS that fatties use more than others is just that, BS. Some do and most don't.
Not really BS...diabetes, a host of neurological disorders weaker immune systems...overall just a worst state of health will lead you more to the hospital.

These things take time from work, hence reduce production and detract from the economy. Being illegal, in of itself, doesn't affect productivity. Also the earnings are used to uy things, hence pump money into the economy.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Fat people is not a more pressing issue than illegals. Facts are facts. There will always be fat people and there will always be people who complain about them because they are about the last bunch of people that people, who think they are better, can pick on without being called a bigot or racist. How about we pick on people with long hair. Do you realize how much it is costing this country with the lice problem?
Exactly facts are facts. Hence why I posted this. That it is time that the facts are shown. $10billion vs. $41billion annually. Obese people cost the nation 4x more annually. Not saying we should harm or heckle fat people, but merely pointing out that its interesting that the energy is spent on trying to use illegal immigrants as scape goats for a whole host of problems, yet we don't do that to other types of people that put more of a financial strain (obese people being simply an example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration