Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times

Advertisements

fail to acknowledge the costs of obesity. In 2004 the "cost" of illegal immigration was stated to be $10 billion annually. Granted, this study is 5 years old, yet the costs would not have dramatically increased. Illegal Immigrants' Cost to Government Studied (washingtonpost.com)

However, obesity costs $41 billion annually. Some researchers have shown, those that live in more conservative areas are more likely to be obese (the deep South, the Midwest, the intermountain region...)

So this begs the question, why focus on the costs of illegal immigration...and not on other more pressing issues?

I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
fail to acknowledge the costs of obesity. In 2004 the "cost" of illegal immigration was stated to be $10 billion annually. Granted, this study is 5 years old, yet the costs would not have dramatically increased. Illegal Immigrants' Cost to Government Studied (washingtonpost.com)

However, obesity costs $41 billion annually. Some researchers have shown, those that live in more conservative areas are more likely to be obese (the deep South, the Midwest, the intermountain region...)

So this begs the question, why focus on the costs of illegal immigration...and not on other more pressing issues?

I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.
Well, you know that the Heritage Foundation did a study that found that giving amnesty to 12 million illegals would cost American taxpayers 2.6 TRILLION, and giving amnesty to the more realistic 20 plus million illegals would cost American taxpayers 5.2 plus TRILLION. What issue could be more pressing that that? Before the radical left wing Obama, 5.2 TRILLION used to be a lot of money.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

ROFLMAO.

Maybe if we had fewer illegals; more Americans would be out there doing physical work hence fewer heavy let alone obese folks out there.

Too: the cold reality is that obese people in the long term cost society less since they tend to die sooner whereas the skinny ones are at much greater risk of Alzheimers, etc. with their attendant needs.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Well, you know that the Heritage Foundation did a study that found that giving amnesty to 12 million illegals would cost American taxpayers 2.6 TRILLION, and giving amnesty to the more realistic 20 plus million illegals would cost American taxpayers 5.2 plus TRILLION. What issue could be more pressing that that? Before the radical left wing Obama, 5.2 TRILLION used to be a lot of money.
So illegal immigration costs our nation 1/7 of our national product, yet comprise 1/75 of our population? So the economic impact would be 10x their population...I don't think this makes sense. Maybe I lost something here. Also the Heritage Foundation is hardly a reliable source. Even the most outrageous sources put the figure to $330 billion, not $2.6trillion.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ROFLMAO.

Maybe if we had fewer illegals; more Americans would be out there doing physical work hence fewer heavy let alone obese folks out there.

Too: the cold reality is that obese people in the long term cost society less since they tend to die sooner whereas the skinny ones are at much greater risk of Alzheimers, etc. with their attendant needs.
Actually, knowing something about biopsychology, skinny people are not more at risk for Alzheimers. Alzheimers is mostly due to a serotonin imbalance. Also the opposite is actually true, those with high abdominal fat are more at risk for alzheimers. Obese people cost A LOT in the long term. More so than illegal immigrants. Each successive generation, typically, is more affluent than the last.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:36 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
"I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.

Maybe the Mods will create an "Obesity" forum where this rather large issue can be discussed.

Or perhaps the will be so kind as to create a forum for "Diversions" where posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand can be discussed.

In the meantime,I'll head back to thr ILLEGAL Immigration forum and see if I can add some fat to the fire there....

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:

IMO, the average obese person cannot cost more than the average illegal unless the obese person:

1. dropped out of school in the 7th grade
2. refuses to speak english
3. has swarms of kids that he/she cannot pay for
and (drumroll).............
4. drags over a never ending stream of equally uneducated relatives from a Third World country.

Your typical fat person cannot begin to do the damage to the US that an illegal alien can. Besides, hispanics have a high rate of obesity so we may end up with obese illegal aliens.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:17 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
"I understand this is the illegal immigration forum, so of course you won't talk about obesity costs, but the point I'm making is that there more pressing issues we are currently facing.

Maybe the Mods will create an "Obesity" forum where this rather large issue can be discussed.

Or perhaps the will be so kind as to create a forum for "Diversions" where posts that have nothing whatsoever to do with the subject at hand can be discussed.

In the meantime,I'll head back to thr ILLEGAL Immigration forum and see if I can add some fat to the fire there....
Or a forum to discuss obese illegals.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Do you really have to ask? Illegal immigration is just that -- illegal.

Here in the Land of the Free there's no law against over-eating, YET! God help us if there ever is one.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,462 times
Quote:

Because some people have different beliefs and the belief that one issue is more significant than another can be very much subjective.

Shouldn't gun control advocates focus on something more pressing such as diabetes, which kills more people than gun violence does?

And shouldn't diabetes awareness advocates focus on something more pressing such as vehicular accidents, which kills more people than diabetes?

And shouldn't vehicular safety advocates focus on something more pressing such as cancer deaths which kills more people than vehicular accidents?

I could go on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration