Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 AM

5 posts, read 23,849 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I currently live in Mass. but am considering moving to NC, most likely somewhere in the Research Triangle. I am curious to hear if people have any concerns with Illegal Immigration or a heavy influx of non-english speaking people in the area? If so, is it geared to a specific area? I have several friends who live in the Charlotte area and say that it has become an issue there, so I wanted to check here to see if people share the same concern. The neighborhood in which I live in now, it has become such a problem, it is one of the main reasons to which I wish to move.

Please if anyone has any input on this issue it would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 06:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
This has always been an area with heavy immigration and probably always will be just based on economy (types of jobs available to non-english speakers, lower cost housing and cost of living in general, several nearby universities, etc). I don't think there is ANY way the average citizen could know who is "illegal" and who isn't. I'm not sure how you define though when something is a problem or not. I don't really think it's a "problem" more than anywhere else in the country, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure others have a different one.
I can say that in daughter's kindergarten class, there are 4 children who started the year with very little Engllish skills and they all seem pretty fluent now and totally up to speed with the rest of the class. The parents are involved with the school and in the commmunity, and seem to be well assimilated. That's a positive thing, IMO.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect2781 View Post
Greetings,

I currently live in Mass. but am considering moving to NC, most likely somewhere in the Research Triangle. I am curious to hear if people have any concerns with Illegal Immigration or a heavy influx of non-english speaking people in the area? If so, is it geared to a specific area? I have several friends who live in the Charlotte area and say that it has become an issue there, so I wanted to check here to see if people share the same concern. The neighborhood in which I live in now, it has become such a problem, it is one of the main reasons to which I wish to move.

Please if anyone has any input on this issue it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, we have lots of immigraints, many legal, some not. Not only folks form Mexico but from many areas of Central and South America and most other parts of the world.

You are likely to hear half a dozen languages being spoke on a trip to the mall. (Last trip I heard French, Spanish, Farsi, Hindi and Korean.) I didn't ask their citizenship and green card status.

So if you only want to interact with English-speaking, United States born individuals....well....you'll have to to decided for yourself is the Triangle is for you.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM

37 posts, read 109,890 times
Default Diversity

If you want diversity, You are definitely coming to the right location.
Like I have stated on other threads.The immigration issue is everywhere.It is partically worse in Arizona,Texas and California.I have lived in those states as well,so I know first hand how Raleigh compares.

I feel it is very light when it comes to the Hispanic population in comparison.I can't tell if they are legal or illegal? I know that they are not from the U.S. I can tell that they are not American/Mexican,By the way they dress,what and the way they drive.Raleigh has some hispanics,but not nearly like the cities and states I have been in:

Though I was quite surprised to see the size of the African,Ghana,Gambia population out here.I would say that they out number the hispanic population.I work with many of the African nation individuals,and they are extremely friendly and down to earth.
I do tend to have a difficult time understanding some of their english though.

That is just my opinnion in regards to my experience with the diverse cultures out here in Raleigh.
Raleigh at the present time is far less populated with illegals(as far as I can tell) than other parts of the country.Schools are not as bad.The african-americans are the majority as caucasians/hispanics in fact are the minority
I have done alot of traveling and sight seeing in every state and city that I have lived in.I have seen it all.I am not blind,I am not ignorant.So, I feel that I am pretty nuetral in my response,objectives,views and experience.
I also am of Hispanic decent myself.It's all about the facts.The facts are that we now will live in a society where it is unfortunate that we will have concerns as such.That will help us decide where we live,go to school etc..
It is what it is and I too wish that there was some kind of "Immigration" reform.
I mean no disrespect or form of racism,it is based on experiences and facts.

Last edited by ontheroadagain; 04-20-2007 at 12:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 AM

56 posts, read 414,372 times
It is crowded down here in NC with ilegals and it's just getting worse as time goes by,I have seen the changes as I grew up down here. Not to sure about Raleigh's pop of ilegals but small towns like Angier have a high pop of them IMO,probally because the rent is a bit cheaper and there are alot more older(bigger) houses for them to rent and have there whole family move into.

Brian Craig

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,574 times
How are people identifying these people as "illegals?" Is it because they speak Spanish?

Old 04-22-2007, 12:51 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
How are people identifying these people as "illegals?" Is it because they speak Spanish?
It certainly seems that way, doesn't it? Sad.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
I see people do it all the time. I was getting breakfast at McDonald's the other day. There is a very nice Cuban young woman who works the morning shift. She speaks very good English, but with an accent.

Had a stupid idiot start spouting off about all the 'damn f****' wet back illegals they are letting in to steal jobs.

I felt so bad for her...she didn't deserve it. I was next in line and talked to her about it, she said that idiot does it about once a month. (She tried to tell him she was Cuban once....he told her he didn't care what part of Mexico she was from)....but she also said that it was very rare for that to happen, so it isn't common.

Shame it has to happen at all.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:07 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Well, based on several estimates that I have read (Washington Times, News and Observer and the Pew Hispanic Research Center Report combines with estimates from the Census) there are an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 illegal immigrants in NC, 80% of which are from central and south America. NC was in the top 10 of fastest growing illegal immigrant populations in the country:a 38% increse since the last official estimates in 2000.
I try not to make judgments about people I do not know, but the OP can make his/her own conclusions and decisions about whether or not to move to NC based on illegal immigration numbers. You can go a Google search and pretty much find the same info.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,134 times
But the original poster said this:

I am curious to hear if people have any concerns with Illegal Immigration or a heavy influx of non-english speaking people in the area?

Two different issues. If you have a problem with illegal immigration that's one thing - he has a problem with non-English speakers as well. I'd personally much rather be around non-English speakers than people who have a problem with non-English speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration