Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,456,814 times

Advertisements

Local News | Washington holds out on legal-status screenings for license seekers | Seattle Times Newspaper

Quote:
The number of states where illegal immigrants can still obtain driver's licenses has been on a gradual downshift in recent years, leaving only four that still allow it — including Washington.

Hawaii and New Mexico also don't require motorists to prove they are in the U.S. legally before issuing them a driver's license or ID card, and Utah uses a two-tiered system that grants illegal immigrants driver cards that can't be used as ID.

Washington holds its place in this small and diminishing fraternity despite persistent efforts to change state law. This year, for the fourth year in a row, a citizens' initiative to deny driver's licenses to illegal immigrants failed to collect enough signatures to qualify for the ballot.

And in the Legislature, the most recent bill to exclude illegal immigrants from obtaining driver's licenses was introduced last year but never received a single hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Utah surprises me being it is a conservative Mormon state.

OTOH: I am also amazed that California even squeaks about mandating checking out illegals prior to issuing those losers DL's.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:54 AM

706 posts, read 939,885 times
"While some states bowed to political pressure, others moved to comply with REAL ID, a 2005 federal law. It seeks to implement recommendations of the 9/11 Commission by requiring states to verify that driver's-license applicants are either U.S. citizens or legal residents.
The Obama administration is pushing a measure in Congress that would "fix" the law by reversing some of its provisions and making it cheaper to put in place."

I guess the "fix" is in......In this case fix translates to "weaken" the REAL ID act to further accomodate illegal aliens and the business/corporate puppet masters.

No surprise here. It is just another message from our government reminding us that the war they have declared against the USA , Her sovereingty,and Her people, is still in effect.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 AM

706 posts, read 939,885 times
A little update....

"The PASS ID bill, which is supported by Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, eliminates security measures included in the Real ID Act, which required verification of birth certificates, Social Security numbers and immigration status before someone could get a driver's license that could be used as an identification card for federal purposes such as boarding an airplane. The purposed of the REAL ID act was to prevent ID fraud and fulfill recommendations made by the 9/11 Commission.

The Pass ID bill would not require that the birth certificate is confirmed, would leave addresses off some driver’s licenses in cases where it is for their own protection and would not require that people have a valid driver’s license or ID to board an airplane "

Warning: Link contains graphic photo of Janet Napolitano...

SNIP

CNSNews.com - Obama's Homeland Security Secretary Supports Weakening Post-9/11 Driver's License Reforms That Were Designed to Thwart Terrorists (http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51170 - broken link)

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Utah surprises me being it is a conservative Mormon state.

OTOH: I am also amazed that California even squeaks about mandating checking out illegals prior to issuing those losers DL's.
I agree AB....but there are some big ranchers who more likely than not use illegals and you know how Utah is...they all share one brain.

It does surprise me though.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM

804 posts, read 1,359,898 times
Wonder where is that anti-legalization "overwhelming majority", that they are not even abvle to get enough signatures to get this bill into the ballot.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Wonder where is that anti-legalization "overwhelming majority", that they are not even abvle to get enough signatures to get this bill into the ballot.
People are not angry enough----------yet.

Remember that the USA is essentially Anglo-Saxon culture and it takes a lot to truly enrage us (unlike hot headed 'Latin' based ones); just when we finally go off-----------the results ain't pretty, shall we say. We have a tendency to 'finish the job'...........permanently.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
People are not angry enough----------yet.

Remember that the USA is essentially Anglo-Saxon culture and it takes a lot to truly enrage us (unlike hot headed 'Latin' based ones); just when we finally go off-----------the results ain't pretty, shall we say. We have a tendency to 'finish the job'...........permanently.
BUT....they are slowly but surely getting that way.

My Dad always said..."When you FINALLY **** off the white,blue collar working man bad enough for them to take action on something,the arrogant pencil pushing geeks,politicians and everyone else had better hunt a deep hole to hide in or they won't make it out of it"

I believed him and still think that way myself.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
BUT....they are slowly but surely getting that way.

My Dad always said..."When you FINALLY **** off the white,blue collar working man bad enough for them to take action on something,the arrogant pencil pushing geeks,politicians and everyone else had better hunt a deep hole to hide in or they won't make it out of it"

I believed him and still think that way myself.
Correct.

Watch the Middle Class: when that crowd starts demonstrating----------that unto itself is oftentimes the 'tipping point' towards the changes being demanded. That has held true all throughout history.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Correct.

Watch the Middle Class: when that crowd starts demonstrating----------that unto itself is oftentimes the 'tipping point' towards the changes being demanded. That has held true all throughout history.
I agree....since the middle class is the TRUE support of this country AND the overwhelming majority,that makes them the dangerous ones when finally provoked enough to demand something.

Politicians are all of a sudden "all ears" when that happens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration