Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The “Full Right for Immigrants Coalition” held an important panel discussion on Saturday, July 11, at the Loyola University Law School in Los Angeles, that addressed this issue: “Towards Comprehensive Immigration Reform: Next Steps.” The public forum called on “organized labor, immigration attorneys, elected representatives, and pro-immigrant rights activists to be a part of a serious political conversation about where the movement goes from here, and how to get to the finish line on immigration reform that fixes the broken immigration system.”
A Sobering Wake-up Call: Are we ready for the fight? | DREAM Act Portal

Reading between the lines: it sounds to me that the DREAMie losers are running a tad scared these days

Old 07-19-2009, 10:19 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
"Pro-immigrant rights" - HAHAHAHAHA. I laugh every time I see terms like that used to reference illegals. "Pro-criminal rights" would be far more accurate.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
"Pro-immigrant rights" - HAHAHAHAHA. I laugh every time I see terms like that used to reference illegals. "Pro-criminal rights" would be far more accurate.
DREAMies are delusional losers who need to spend time in a jail cell vs. a classroom prior to their deportation.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 AM

380 posts, read 709,478 times
Quote:
Whatever semantical games you would like to play concerning labels aside the reality is this: illegal aliens are claiming American rights as their own and doing it succesfully. An illegal alien recently won a case concerning identity theft in the Supreme Court. Which means he exercised his "right" to appeal and was afforded due process in the American court system. I know here in NJ illegal aliens are caught all the time driving without licenses and are fined and sent on their way just like any other "American." My profession makes it neccesary for me to spend most of my day in a court room so I see first hand how illegals are dealt with in court. 99% of the time their immigration status is not even mentioned but all present know that they are undocumented.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Whatever semantical games you would like to play concerning labels aside the reality is this: illegal aliens are claiming American rights as their own and doing it succesfully. An illegal alien recently won a case concerning identity theft in the Supreme Court. Which means he exercised his "right" to appeal and was afforded due process in the American court system. I know here in NJ illegal aliens are caught all the time driving without licenses and are fined and sent on their way just like any other "American." My profession makes it neccesary for me to spend most of my day in a court room so I see first hand how illegals are dealt with in court. 99% of the time their immigration status is not even mentioned but all present know that they are undocumented.
Criminals have rights last time I checked. They have the right to due process, the right to a fair trial, etc. I have never suggested taking away these rights from illegals (or any other criminals). I've simply said that illegals are not "immigrants" (and they are not as defined by federal law) and should not have the same rights as American citizens in their day-to-day lives. I NEVER said IA's involved in criminal matters before courts should not have the same rights as all other criminals - EVER.

According to your profile, you are an attorney. Yet, under "education" you say you have a PhD. Why not a JD? That's what you earn through completion of law school.

Your work is likely in state courts since we're talking about state misdemeanors or infractions like "driving without a license"; correct? If so, did it ever occur to you that every single state doesn't handle things exactly the way New Jersey does?

And, BTW, TX is the same with traffic violations committed by illegals. They simply get tickets (it doesn't really matter whether they pay them or not) and are sent on their way. But there are several other states that address such offenses by illegals more seriously.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-20-2009 at 09:19 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM

380 posts, read 709,478 times
Quote:
Criminals have rights last time I checked. They have the right to due process, the right to a fair trial, etc. I have never suggested taking away these rights from illegals (or any other criminals). I've simply said that illegals are not "immigrants" (and they are not as defined by federal law) and should not have the same rights as American citizens in their day-to-day lives. I NEVER said IA's involved in criminal matters before courts should not have the same rights as all other criminals - EVER.

According to your profile, you are an attorney. Yet, under "education" you say you have a PhD. Why not a JD? That's what you earn through completion of law school.

Your work is likely in state courts since we're talking about state misdemeanors or infractions like "driving without a license"; correct? If so, did it ever occur to you that every single state doesn't handle things exactly the way New Jersey does?

And, BTW, TX is the same with traffic violations committed by illegals. They simply get tickets (it doesn't really matter whether they pay them or not) and are sent on their way. But there are several other states that address such offenses by illegals more seriously.
I have a Phd in sociology in addition to being a Juris Doctor. I practice on the municipal, state, as well as the federal level. And of course I know that different states have different statutes and laws; I was only speaking of my daily specific experiences in NJ courtrooms.
It is refreshing to hear that you realize that even illegal immigrants deserve due process in American courts if they commit crimes. The 14th ammendment states that anyone in the US who commits a crime must be provided due process regardless of how they arrived here.
I say it is refreshing to hear because to listen to some posters on this forum you get the impression that some think that if an illegal alien is "outed" that they immediately be thrown to the lions and be subjected to gladiatorial games....

Old 07-21-2009, 06:22 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
The standard Pro-Illegal question here would be...how do you know they are illegal? Can you telll by looking at them?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
What puzzles me is why this should please you so.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:20 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
I have a Phd in sociology in addition to being a Juris Doctor. I practice on the municipal, state, as well as the federal level. And of course I know that different states have different statutes and laws; I was only speaking of my daily specific experiences in NJ courtrooms.
It is refreshing to hear that you realize that even illegal immigrants deserve due process in American courts if they commit crimes. The 14th ammendment states that anyone in the US who commits a crime must be provided due process regardless of how they arrived here.
I say it is refreshing to hear because to listen to some posters on this forum you get the impression that some think that if an illegal alien is "outed" that they immediately be thrown to the lions and be subjected to gladiatorial games....
Nonsense. All that would do is waste additional time and money. All I and many others want is THEM out of OUR country as expeditiously as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration