U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So they want to sue the college that has scarce resources...they feel that depleting the coffers more is a great idea. Do you see the irony of the situation?

People complain that illegal immigrants are under-educated. Thus, some obtain post secondary education. People then complain that Americans are not obtaining an education, or a quality one. Despite the fact that bachelor degree holders have risen from 20% in the 70s-80s to nearly 30% today. Tuition is NOT linked to illegal immigrants. The few illegal immigrants on that campus, CAN'T cause the financial strain on this university. They pay tuition, remember. Tuition is still a major source of revenue.

The point is that this is stupid.
Illegal aliens are criminals and need to be in jair prior to their deportation---------and, that includes DREAMies.

Bottom line: I have no heartburn with enforcing the law against the above group of losers.

 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So they want to sue the college that has scarce resources...they feel that depleting the coffers more is a great idea. Do you see the irony of the situation?

People complain that illegal immigrants are under-educated. Thus, some obtain post secondary education. People then complain that Americans are not obtaining an education, or a quality one. Despite the fact that bachelor degree holders have risen from 20% in the 70s-80s to nearly 30% today. Tuition is NOT linked to illegal immigrants. The few illegal immigrants on that campus, CAN'T cause the financial strain on this university. They pay tuition, remember. Tuition is still a major source of revenue.

The point is that this is stupid.
They are in the US illegally. If they want an education, I am sure there are perfectly acceptable universities in their home countries that can provide them with one at a fraction of the cost of an American university. They could also look into attending college in another country. There is no reason that they have to go to school here.
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
481 posts, read 808,956 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So they want to sue the college that has scarce resources...they feel that depleting the coffers more is a great idea. Do you see the irony of the situation?

People complain that illegal immigrants are under-educated. Thus, some obtain post secondary education. People then complain that Americans are not obtaining an education, or a quality one. Despite the fact that bachelor degree holders have risen from 20% in the 70s-80s to nearly 30% today. Tuition is NOT linked to illegal immigrants. The few illegal immigrants on that campus, CAN'T cause the financial strain on this university. They pay tuition, remember. Tuition is still a major source of revenue.

The point is that this is stupid.

A lawsuit does not mean that a monetary settlement will be the result. You can sue someone and not collect money from them. In essence, they should not have to sue the college. The state should force the college to uphold state and federal law. It's a reflection of the state and the feds that this group must take things into their own hands.

Oh, and in NJ, illegals get tuition aid grants, apply and receive Equal Opportunity Fund money, and grants for being a "minority". So believe me, they don't pay what Americans pay. And that college should not give them any money. It looks like the college in question is a public college. Therefore it receives state funding. That automatically should mean that it is bound to follow state law or forfeit state money. And where does state money come from? Tax payers. So really, every dollar that an illegal gets from that college is from the state and therefore from the tax payers. Why should tax payers, with their own children to support, have to pay for illegals?

If it were a private college which received no funding from government sources, they would still be legally wrong to accept illegal aliens into their school, but perhaps the morality of their actions would not be so heinously wrong.

In any case the issue lies with illegal aliens receiving funds that should be given to American citizens or legal immigrants. It is a misappropriation of funds and in fact, illegal.
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,446,444 times
Reputation: 47456
our own government supresses the enforcement of the law, we cant expect much more from a college.
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Princeton, New Jersey
481 posts, read 808,956 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
our own government supresses the enforcement of the law, we cant expect much more from a college.
Yes, the government is to blame and has the most ability to change the situation, but relaxing our standards just because a business or college has less power is not good.

It doesn't matter if you own a two person company. If that second person is illegal then fire them and get someone legal. Sure, you wouldn't make a huge difference, but you would make a little one. If people start justifying and making exceptions to the law then this will never be solved.
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:44 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,080,163 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
A lawsuit does not mean that a monetary settlement will be the result. You can sue someone and not collect money from them. In essence, they should not have to sue the college. The state should force the college to uphold state and federal law. It's a reflection of the state and the feds that this group must take things into their own hands.

I am well aware that there need not be a monetary settlement. A suit still costs money. Defense lawyers are not cheap.

Oh, and in NJ, illegals get tuition aid grants, apply and receive Equal Opportunity Fund money, and grants for being a "minority". So believe me, they don't pay what Americans pay. And that college should not give them any money. It looks like the college in question is a public college. Therefore it receives state funding. That automatically should mean that it is bound to follow state law or forfeit state money. And where does state money come from? Tax payers. So really, every dollar that an illegal gets from that college is from the state and therefore from the tax payers. Why should tax payers, with their own children to support, have to pay for illegals?

Not true if it they are PUBLIC schools. You don't pay less tuition by simply being a minority. Community colleges not only recieve state funding...funding of universities and colleges are VERY complex. Technically, the sales tax paid by illegal immigrants also funds the community college. So the actual sources of where the funds are from...which tax revenue...is nebulous at best.

If it were a private college which received no funding from government sources, they would still be legally wrong to accept illegal aliens into their school, but perhaps the morality of their actions would not be so heinously wrong.

Heinously wrong? Nice touch of drama...

In any case the issue lies with illegal aliens receiving funds that should be given to American citizens or legal immigrants. It is a misappropriation of funds and in fact, illegal.

Again, these funds may also come from sales tax revenue...Also, illegal immigrants do pay state taxes for the most part.

I fail to see the logic of sueing a college over not providing resources. It's costly and in the end, well, it's counterproductive.
Meh...
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,080,163 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Illegal aliens are criminals and need to be in jair prior to their deportation---------and, that includes DREAMies.

Bottom line: I have no heartburn with enforcing the law against the above group of losers.
Get 'ir done!!!! If you don't like this country...then you can get out!!!!
 
Old 07-23-2009, 04:49 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,080,163 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
They are in the US illegally. If they want an education, I am sure there are perfectly acceptable universities in their home countries that can provide them with one at a fraction of the cost of an American university. They could also look into attending college in another country. There is no reason that they have to go to school here.
Except the whole issue of, you know, having a life here kind of stands in the way of things. I don't know, if all of the sudden you were forced to give up your life based on things you didn't have a say in...Geez, they're getting a college education. That's better than 70% of people in the United States. It's funny when you say home country. To these people, this is their home country. What do you call a place you've never been to? Not a home country...
 
Old 07-23-2009, 05:55 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Get 'ir done!!!! If you don't like this country...then you can get out!!!!
It's his country. Why should he leave?
 
Old 07-23-2009, 06:04 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,713,217 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Except the whole issue of, you know, having a life here kind of stands in the way of things.
They need to take the issue up with their illegal alien parents since they are the ones who placed them in this situation.

Quote:
I don't know, if all of the sudden you were forced to give up your life based on things you didn't have a say in...Geez, they're getting a college education. That's better than 70% of people in the United States. It's funny when you say home country. To these people, this is their home country. What do you call a place you've never been to? Not a home country...
They are not Americans and this is not their country. They belong in the country where they have citizenship. I am confident they will make a successful adjustment to life in their home country. They are not US citizens and there is simply no reason that they must attend college in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top