Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Make E-Verify mandatory for ALL businesses, from mom and pop stores to mega-businesses.
I would include landlords, schools, and hospitals to that list.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:52 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,664,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I would include landlords, schools, and hospitals to that list.
Yep!!!!!!!! It would solve a lot of issues.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,904,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Please post the figures for me, considering all I am finding from several sources state the opposite of what you are saying, I am interested in readng them.

And yes the wage depression in many sectors is directly linked to the illegals, who take the jobs at the lower rate, we actually had a few trying to work for us that bartered their wage down to get the job. Basically, this post says it all for me.

A Day Without Illegal Aliens
Do searches on Jstor, Lexus Nexus, American Sociological Review, Pew...I found at least 5 different figures ($10 billion total cost of illegal immigration...is the figure most commonly accepted).

Wage depression is not linked to MANY sectors...it simply is not the truth. To paraphrase what a professor Bernard Anderson at Wharton School of Business at U Penn essentially wage depression does occur, yet not as onerous as some would like to believe. The Pew Hispanic Demographer Jeff Passel states that the data shows no strong support of either wage depression or not. It is inconclusive to state that wage depression really has a huge effect. Non-skilled workers will face the brunt, IMO, skilled workers won't.

With that said, wage depression is a product of greed. Not illegal immigration. Employers set wages, not workers.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Do searches on Jstor, Lexus Nexus, American Sociological Review, Pew...I found at least 5 different figures ($10 billion total cost of illegal immigration...is the figure most commonly accepted).

Wage depression is not linked to MANY sectors...it simply is not the truth. To paraphrase what a professor Bernard Anderson at Wharton School of Business at U Penn essentially wage depression does occur, yet not as onerous as some would like to believe. The Pew Hispanic Demographer Jeff Passel states that the data shows no strong support of either wage depression or not. It is inconclusive to state that wage depression really has a huge effect. Non-skilled workers will face the brunt, IMO, skilled workers won't.

With that said, wage depression is a product of greed. Not illegal immigration. Employers set wages, not workers.
And if they can not get people to work for those wages?

And 10 billion cost to us is ok with you? Not me, I can think of much better things to spend that money on.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Deport illegals; restrict border crossings; and if these illegals are old enough to go to college, they are old enough to know that they ARE illegal, and should take the proper steps to becoming citizens if they want to enjoy the rights of citizens.
I will try to respond to your post...

1) We do have a resonsibility to our country. Hence why we should ensure ALL that live within its borders are educated, healthy, and productive. Game theory states that helping others yields the greatest personal benefit.

2) Your second sentence really shows ignorance on your part. So illegal immigrants don't buy anything else?

3) What you are trying to say in this third sentence? It seems as if you are saying illegal immigrants are somehow denying rights to legal immigrants. "The very things immigrants come to this country for are being destroyed by illegals who think they can change our laws JUST BECAUSE.. "

4). Deportation is too costly. Also why should people pay for their parents mistakes...not everyone does know untill they reach college age. With that said, why punish a person trying to better their lives...which in turn really benefits everyone. Having more college educated role models is one way we can combat the disparity that exists in the United States.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I will try to respond to your post...

1) We do have a resonsibility to our country. Hence why we should ensure ALL that live within its borders are educated, healthy, and productive. Game theory states that helping others yields the greatest personal benefit.

2) Your second sentence really shows ignorance on your part. So illegal immigrants don't buy anything else?

3) What you are trying to say in this third sentence? It seems as if you are saying illegal immigrants are somehow denying rights to legal immigrants. "The very things immigrants come to this country for are being destroyed by illegals who think they can change our laws JUST BECAUSE.. "

4). Deportation is too costly. Also why should people pay for their parents mistakes...not everyone does know untill they reach college age. With that said, why punish a person trying to better their lives...which in turn really benefits everyone. Having more college educated role models is one way we can combat the disparity that exists in the United States.
Yes everyone that is here in America by legal or rightful means should have those rights. Not ones that think they deserve it just because and dont give two craps about us.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
And if they can not get people to work for those wages?

And 10 billion cost to us is ok with you? Not me, I can think of much better things to spend that money on.
Obese people cost $40 billion...

If I were greedy, I'd be pissed (I have like 7% body fat...I'm 5'9" 145 lbs.) However, it is what it is.

That $10 billion also includes education, which is an investment. That investmeny pays off.

As a nation we will have those that cost money. If we strictly look in dollar and cents POV, we would deport obese people first.

Not only that, there are many net positives...Social Security is lasting longer because of illegal immigration.

Going to your first question, who are "they" and what "wages"? I'll assume companies and low wages. If this is the case, supply and demand states that wages will go higher. Gov't restriction can also aid in this as well.

BTW, I read your Day without an illegal...and found it to be essentially great propoganda.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Yes everyone that is here in America by legal or rightful means should have those rights. Not ones that think they deserve it just because and dont give two craps about us.
Actually, no everyone that is here...otherwise we would have another South Africa. Which currently is under siege by the poor.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Obese people cost $40 billion...

If I were greedy, I'd be pissed (I have like 7% body fat...I'm 5'9" 145 lbs.) However, it is what it is.

That $10 billion also includes education, which is an investment. That investmeny pays off.

As a nation we will have those that cost money. If we strictly look in dollar and cents POV, we would deport obese people first.

Not only that, there are many net positives...Social Security is lasting longer because of illegal immigration.

Going to your first question, who are "they" and what "wages"? I'll assume companies and low wages. If this is the case, supply and demand states that wages will go higher. Gov't restriction can also aid in this as well.

BTW, I read your Day without an illegal...and found it to be essentially great propoganda.
Not an investment to me.. My sons school just cut two programs to help fund the ESL due to budget cuts. Nice for my kids...
. Pro illegals really love their propaganda and love to call anything the anti illegals say as propaganda. And you know what, obese can lose weight and costs go down. We need to lose the illegals, then costs really go down. You go ahead and love your illegals, as they help kill the economy further. Me I will stand behind the Americans, the ones that actually have a right to be here.

Oh I have a really hard time believing your 10 million cost of illegals, please post links for that info.

Cal alone has 10.5 billion costs from them, and they are not all in Cali!!
Illegal Immigration Costs California $10.5 Billion Annually

and Nova
http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/cost_of_illegal_aliens_in_va._soars/38284/ (broken link)

Seems the 10 billion is a little off

http://immigrationcounters.com/

Last edited by Nea1; 07-24-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, no everyone that is here...otherwise we would have another South Africa. Which currently is under siege by the poor.
What?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.