Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times

Advertisements

This guy does a few anti illegal stories and he is right on the mark with this story.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/25958019.html

VIN SUPRYNOWICZ: Born in the USA -- and automatically a citizen?

The 14th, adopted in 1868, was intended to make formal what the Civil War had accomplished de facto -- the recognition that the former slaves were now citizens of the United States, with the full rights thereof. Thus (alongside some pretty odd stuff, including a provision that the "validity of the public debt of the United States ... shall not be questioned") the 14th instructs us that, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
This guy does a few anti illegal stories and he is right on the mark with this story.

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/25958019.html

VIN SUPRYNOWICZ: Born in the USA -- and automatically a citizen?

The 14th, adopted in 1868, was intended to make formal what the Civil War had accomplished de facto -- the recognition that the former slaves were now citizens of the United States, with the full rights thereof. Thus (alongside some pretty odd stuff, including a provision that the "validity of the public debt of the United States ... shall not be questioned") the 14th instructs us that, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
Translation: Illegal aliens are not the descendants of slaves, nor are they under the jurisdiction of the US and therefore the anchor baby theory is a farce. Since there are no longer any slaves in the US the 14th should be abolished. (I speak as a descendant of slaves).

Only our stupid government refuses to acknowledge what should be a no brainer. It is not possible for 2 illegal aliens to give birth to a US citizen.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:23 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Translation: Illegal aliens are not the descendants of slaves, nor are they under the jurisdiction of the US and therefore the anchor baby theory is a farce. Since there are no longer any slaves in the US the 14th should be abolished. (I speak as a descendant of slaves).

Only our stupid government refuses to acknowledge what should be a no brainer. It is not possible for 2 illegal aliens to give birth to a US citizen.
I agree 100%. The abuse and manipulation of the 14th Amendment MUST stop. This is THE main magnet for illegals entering our country.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:35 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I agree 100%. The abuse and manipulation of the 14th Amendment MUST stop. This is THE main magnet for illegals entering our country.
Word. If you cut off the freebies they will go home. The majority could care less about citizenship they have no loyalty to America. Those who want to become a citizen goes through all the proper channels and waits their turn.

The only reason they flee their homelands is because there are no freebies to be had. Their respective governments could care less if they or their offspring lives or dies, which is why they are happy to see them leave and adamantly refusing to take them back.

In their homelands they are considered beasts of burden, yet strangely they are loyal to those who mistreat them while biting the American hand that feeds them.

Old 07-27-2008, 03:48 PM

278 posts, read 791,362 times
so if 2 german immigrants came over in 1930 without papers, and stayed, then their babies had here and the descendants of those babies would be illegal as well? after all, the german immigrants weren't slaves.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_el View Post
so if 2 german immigrants came over in 1930 without papers, and stayed, then their babies had here and the descendants of those babies would be illegal as well? after all, the german immigrants weren't slaves.
The operative word is immigrant. The German immigrants would have been "legal" citizens of this country. Therefore, their offspring would also be legal U.S. citizens; as was my dear grandmother -- a descendent of such legal immigrants.

We are discussing "illegal" aliens giving birth to babies in this country. Illegal + Illegal = Illegal. If the Germans entered this country in violation of 1930 immigration laws, the same would apply to them.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM

278 posts, read 791,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The operative word is immigrant. The German immigrants would have been "legal" citizens of this country. Therefore, their offspring would also be legal U.S. citizens; as was my dear grandmother -- a descendent of such legal immigrants.

We are discussing "illegal" aliens giving birth to babies in this country. Illegal + Illegal = Illegal.
a german immigrant without papers/document would have been illegal. i would have thought the operative word would be papers/documents establishing a legal status.

my point was that if the 14th amendment truly is an issue that is to be re-addressed, then the next issue that comes about is a "grandfather" clause. after all, when do you say that the new interpratation goes into effect?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:28 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Why is it that people always seem to forget the word "ILLEGAL"... do the rules not apply to them? Are they anti-rules or something? I don't get it...

Old 07-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
a german immigrant without papers/document would have been illegal. i would have thought the operative word would be papers/documents establishing a legal status.
I am not familiar with the immigration laws of 1930. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
my point was that if the 14th amendment truly is an issue that is to be re-addressed, then the next issue that comes about is a "grandfather" clause. after all, when do you say that the new interpratation goes into effect?
That's a question that can only be answered by our government. The 14th Amendment never should have been interpreted to enable illegal aliens to abuse the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration