U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
Those who literally cross the border illegally seem like the ones who would end up back in their country of origin, discouraged without much keeping them here besides a desperate need to come home with money.

The very significant number of illegal immigrants who came here legally, but are on expired visas are the ones who have likely built lives here and are willing to wait out the current economy.
I agree that it is moronic and offensive to equate Hispanics with illegal immigrants. Hispanics are not a new presence in the United States, many are citizens, many are here legally. So a Hispanic speaking Spanish does not mean illegal alien. This is where injecting race into the topic becomes an issue. Doing that angers many Hispanic-Americans who can be a powerful political force, one with a growing voice that in the past used to be alienated.

It would make sense for people who are against immigration reform to play nice with the Hispanic/Latino community of America. But it's something they can't grasp, and always fail on.
Perhaps you can enlighten us so we will finally understand why itís imperative to ďplay niceĒ with said community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
Those who literally cross the border illegally seem like the ones who would end up back in their country of origin, discouraged without much keeping them here besides a desperate need to come home with money.

The very significant number of illegal immigrants who came here legally, but are on expired visas are the ones who have likely built lives here and are willing to wait out the current economy.
I agree that it is moronic and offensive to equate Hispanics with illegal immigrants. Hispanics are not a new presence in the United States, many are citizens, many are here legally. So a Hispanic speaking Spanish does not mean illegal alien. This is where injecting race into the topic becomes an issue. Doing that angers many Hispanic-Americans who can be a powerful political force, one with a growing voice that in the past used to be alienated.

It would make sense for people who are against immigration reform to play nice with the Hispanic/Latino community of America. But it's something they can't grasp, and always fail on.
How about the putative 'Hispanic American' community playing nice with the rest of the USA? They are not really in a position to preach to the rest of us-------especially with Mexico heading towards almost certain implosion with its narco wars.

As it is; prejudice is growing against all stereotypical Latinos including true blue Americans courtesy of the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens and their enablers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How about the putative 'Hispanic American' community playing nice with the rest of the USA? They are not really in a position to preach to the rest of us-------especially with Mexico heading towards almost certain implosion with its narco wars.

As it is; prejudice is growing against all stereotypical Latinos including true blue Americans courtesy of the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens and their enablers.
Yes, I witness it on a daily basis, and it is unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
 
45 posts, read 47,522 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, I witness it on a daily basis, and it is unfortunate.
Your two comments don't jive.

One second you say, why should we play nice with the Hispanic/Latino community, and then you say it's unfortunate that people don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
 
45 posts, read 47,522 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
How about the putative 'Hispanic American' community playing nice with the rest of the USA? They are not really in a position to preach to the rest of us-------especially with Mexico heading towards almost certain implosion with its narco wars.

As it is; prejudice is growing against all stereotypical Latinos including true blue Americans courtesy of the mostly Hispanic illegal aliens and their enablers.
What does what's happening in Mexico have to do with the Hispanic-American community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 PM
 
45 posts, read 47,522 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps you can enlighten us so we will finally understand why itís imperative to ďplay niceĒ with said community.
Because they are Americans? And good people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,072,228 times
Reputation: 2244
at least someone gets it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
Because they are Americans? And good people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
Your two comments don't jive.

One second you say, why should we play nice with the Hispanic/Latino community, and then you say it's unfortunate that people don't.
Re-read my posts, and then get back with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBear View Post
Because they are Americans? And good people?
Perhaps I misinterpreted your comments, because I got the impression you were implying a threat from the Latino/Hispanic community if we donít acquiesce to their demands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps I misinterpreted your comments, because I got the impression you were implying a threat from the Latino/Hispanic community if we donít acquiesce to their demands.
I picked up on that as well............

And such threats do not sit well here in the USA anymore----------the blowback could be ghastly against even innocent Latinos-------or anybody who is 'brown' (of any race/ethnicity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top