U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 23,079,184 times
Reputation: 7248

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
<delurking>
I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal, and I can attest to the fact that NorCal people are more PC/ textbook liberal, therefore not as anti-illegal immigration (at least publicly) as SoCal people.
This may be the result of the economic states of NorCal vs. SoCal over the last 20 years.

Prior to the 1990s NorCal and SoCal were pretty much even economically. However the early '90s recession hit SoCal much harder than the north, and it seems ever since then the North has been the economic engine of the state while the South has dragged the state down and become a near permanently depressed area. If not just the state but the south in particular was doing economically better, then there would be less anti-illegal sentiment. If the north somehow was doing worse than the south I think that there would be more anti illegal immigrant sentiment in the north. If not for NorCal the economy of CA would be even worse than it is right now, which is godawful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: California
62 posts, read 67,131 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
If not for NorCal the economy of CA would be even worse than it is right now, which is godawful.
That's very true, I know some people who are laid off but they're not in dire straits, yet. Since they're mainly well-educated, high tech types, they're getting rather enviable severance packages. NorCal's economy has been better than SoCal's in recent years, no doubt, but I think the days of people buying $50 a bottle olive oil are over. In any case, I believe the reason we're in better shape in the long run is because of the science and technology based economy we have here, whereas SoCal has more service-based economy. It's been demonstrated that scientific innovation plays a huge part in growing the economy, but I'm sensing that even this isn't enough if our state continues to provide overly generous social programs for illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 798,140 times
Reputation: 179
"but I'm sensing that even this isn't enough if our state continues to provide overly generous social programs for illegal immigrants"


While the new budget does not deal with directly with the services provided to illegals, Im sure they will feel some impact,but,I don't think that it will have any noticeable impact or relief for the taxpayer.

It is kind of ironic in a way....while we here in California are trying to recover from our "tax and spend" ways, andthe problems that have resulted from our actions, the Feds are heading in he exact opposite direction. What is it that prevents them from learning from the mistakes made in California ?

If this continues, the USA will become "californicated"

It don't look to good right now.

BTW, Welcome to the forum Cherry Sakura...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,107 posts, read 34,462,367 times
Reputation: 4893
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Perception is not a reality. Everyone is looking for someone to blame for their budget crises...so why not blame illegals?
I have not seen one poll that blamed the entire state budget crisis on those in the US illegally.

BUT, it is a FACT that Illegal Immigration is certainly a component of various states budget crisis - including the states of California and Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,722,939 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
<delurking>
I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal, and I can attest to the fact that NorCal people are more PC/ textbook liberal, therefore not as anti-illegal immigration (at least publicly) as SoCal people. I'm a first generation, legal immigrant myself (as a child), and my views on illegal immigration have drastically changed these past few years due to working in healthcare.

Don't get me wrong, I care for all of my patients in the same manner, but I, along with some of my co-workers, just couldn't ignore the same patterns over and over again. Typically, the patient is an "anchor baby" born to illegal, single mother or intact parents. This anchor baby is born with complex, CHD requiring multiple surgeries, which sometimes leads to further complications affecting other organ systems. It's not unusual to have a baby stay in the hospital from birth to 7-8 months of age, and even if the baby goes home, he/ she is frequently readmitted for respiratory issues related to the CHD. This baby is of course eligible for all the social services that California provides, not to mention disability benefits. Often, as the baby is readmitted for worsening of s/s relating to CHD or is readmitted for further surgeries, we find out that the mother is already pregnant, even as she and her family are unable to support their existing family.

I see sad and frustrating cases like this all the time at work, I'm an RN at a top children's hospital. I would say that in the past five years, the number of illegal immigrant patients or anchor babies have risen drastically. I don't have any kids, am single, and therefore pay more than my fair share of both state and federal taxes. California can only raise taxes on people like me for only so long, until we bolt from the state once and for all. Then, and only then will California be left with the people it so deserve to have as citizens: a bunch of non-contributing, overpopulating, benefit-demanding, uneducated freeloaders.
You are not the only healthcare worker who has noticed what is going on. This is a situation that never should have been allowed to happen. If this illegal alien woman had not given birth in the US, we would not be stuck with the astronomical bills for the care of her anchor baby. Not only does she get all the services you have mentioned, but I suspect that when the child is home a nurse or other healthcare worker makes visits to the home to keep an eye on things and attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to avoid further readmissions. It sounds like this child will need to be followed medically for the rest of his or her life. Due to the serious illness and multiple surgeries, the child may have special physical or educational needs that will have to be addressed when school begins. In short, the expenses are never going to stop and madre and padre will continue to busily add to their growing family while leaving the hapless US taxpayer on the hook for the medical bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,649,429 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You are not the only healthcare worker who has noticed what is going on. This is a situation that never should have been allowed to happen. If this illegal alien woman had not given birth in the US, we would not be stuck with the astronomical bills for the care of her anchor baby. Not only does she get all the services you have mentioned, but I suspect that when the child is home a nurse or other healthcare worker makes visits to the home to keep an eye on things and attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to avoid further readmissions. It sounds like this child will need to be followed medically for the rest of his or her life. Due to the serious illness and multiple surgeries, the child may have special physical or educational needs that will have to be addressed when school begins. In short, the expenses are never going to stop and madre and padre will continue to busily add to their growing family while leaving the hapless US taxpayer on the hook for the medical bills.
Not exactly health care, but my wife's sister has worked for years in the 'school lunch' program in LA County, and has all KINDS of stories of large family groups showing up at school for both breakfast AND lunch...as many as 5, 6 or 7 people..parents, elderly folks, toddlers....all eating 'free' due to ONE family member in the third or fourth grade who's legally entitled to it. The rest of the family eats 'off the books', and this is tolerated with a 'wink'. In fact, sometimes the ADULTS eat while the true beneficiaries (their student kid) dumps THEIR meal, uneaten, into the nearest trash can and heads for the vending machine for a candy bar.

Are these folks legal? Some undoubtedly are, but a large portion are not. Can anyone see why this MIGHT be costing the taxpayers some money? And few people even know it goes on.

This info is about 2 years old (my SIL quit the job), and I can't say whether this still goes on. But in a state that has to close its DMV every other Friday or so, because it can't afford to keep it OPEN....this HAS to be a drain on the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,722,939 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not exactly health care, but my wife's sister has worked for years in the 'school lunch' program in LA County, and has all KINDS of stories of large family groups showing up at school for both breakfast AND lunch...as many as 5, 6 or 7 people..parents, elderly folks, toddlers....all eating 'free' due to ONE family member in the third or fourth grade who's legally entitled to it. The rest of the family eats 'off the books', and this is tolerated with a 'wink'. In fact, sometimes the ADULTS eat while the true beneficiaries (their student kid) dumps THEIR meal, uneaten, into the nearest trash can and heads for the vending machine for a candy bar.

Are these folks legal? Some undoubtedly are, but a large portion are not. Can anyone see why this MIGHT be costing the taxpayers some money? And few people even know it goes on.

This info is about 2 years old (my SIL quit the job), and I can't say whether this still goes on. But in a state that has to close its DMV every other Friday or so, because it can't afford to keep it OPEN....this HAS to be a drain on the budget.
This is the sort of thing that leaves me shaking my head. I have no objection to the student receiving free breakfast and lunch, but why on earth would the entire familia assume that they were also entitled to a free meal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,941,319 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not exactly health care, but my wife's sister has worked for years in the 'school lunch' program in LA County, and has all KINDS of stories of large family groups showing up at school for both breakfast AND lunch...as many as 5, 6 or 7 people..parents, elderly folks, toddlers....all eating 'free' due to ONE family member in the third or fourth grade who's legally entitled to it. The rest of the family eats 'off the books', and this is tolerated with a 'wink'. In fact, sometimes the ADULTS eat while the true beneficiaries (their student kid) dumps THEIR meal, uneaten, into the nearest trash can and heads for the vending machine for a candy bar.

Are these folks legal? Some undoubtedly are, but a large portion are not. Can anyone see why this MIGHT be costing the taxpayers some money? And few people even know it goes on.

This info is about 2 years old (my SIL quit the job), and I can't say whether this still goes on. But in a state that has to close its DMV every other Friday or so, because it can't afford to keep it OPEN....this HAS to be a drain on the budget.
They do that same thing here. The school cafeterias are open to anyone who wants to get a free meal.

What I question even more than the waste of taxpayer money is the danger in having people who shouldn't be on a school campus coming in like that. There is nothing stopping pedophiles from choosing their next victim.

I think that school campuses should be limited to the students and parents who have a reason to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
61,296 posts, read 31,039,705 times
Reputation: 13043
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not exactly health care, but my wife's sister has worked for years in the 'school lunch' program in LA County, and has all KINDS of stories of large family groups showing up at school for both breakfast AND lunch...as many as 5, 6 or 7 people..parents, elderly folks, toddlers....all eating 'free' due to ONE family member in the third or fourth grade who's legally entitled to it. The rest of the family eats 'off the books', and this is tolerated with a 'wink'. In fact, sometimes the ADULTS eat while the true beneficiaries (their student kid) dumps THEIR meal, uneaten, into the nearest trash can and heads for the vending machine for a candy bar.

Are these folks legal? Some undoubtedly are, but a large portion are not. Can anyone see why this MIGHT be costing the taxpayers some money? And few people even know it goes on.

This info is about 2 years old (my SIL quit the job), and I can't say whether this still goes on. But in a state that has to close its DMV every other Friday or so, because it can't afford to keep it OPEN....this HAS to be a drain on the budget.


Same thing happens here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM
 
Location: NorthTexas
634 posts, read 1,349,525 times
Reputation: 327
Angry No surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Rasmussen Reports™: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Data Anywhere




In addition, I'm hoping that these feelings will remain in order to help gain votes for that taxpayer's protection act.

With all the sanctuary cities and everybody ignoring the problem it does not surprise me it broke the State Budget.
We as a nation need to stop with this acceptance of illegal immigration! I hear on the news all the time that the states, county's, and cities are reluctant to ask the status of people when they are stopped.

My daughter and her friend were just hit broadside and the car totaled by an illegal alien with no money and no insurance. Their medical expenses have so far exceeded $24k. Her friend had liability insurance only.

Why are we putting up with this?? It is costing the citizens of the country a fortune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top