Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The reason why they are not eager to have them back is not because they are a strain on society but because immigrants send home 23 billion dollars a year from the sweat off their backs. This is their second highest income, followed by oil.
Which is Mexico's problem------------not ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
..... The other 36% of California voters are illegal immigrants themselves.

I'm sure ACORN gets them registered somehow.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
Well I say round em all up and ship them back to where they belong!

Even if our country was perfect, I would want these illegal people gone. We have waiting lists of people trying to come into this country the legal way, and it is a slap in their face that we allow illegals to come here.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
It is a big `O slap in the face, to those that worked hard and put in the time, to come here legally.

Ship them back is right! No buses and dropping them off right across the border. Load them on a ship, packed tight, and let them have a slow boat right to the southern tip of Mexico and Central America.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
..... The other 36% of California voters are illegal immigrants themselves.
A pretty harsh term. We prefer to call these folks "citizens not yet sworn in". They're just getting a bit of a 'head start' in the voting process.

This sounds much less abrasive than calling people 'illegal', don't you think?..

Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
NorCal was doing good, SoCal was still a basket case.

Interesting that even today there seems to be far more anti-illegal sentiment from SoCal than NorCal. My guess is because NorCal has been doing VERY SLIGHTLY better than SoCal recently.
Could be because SoCal is so close to the border and has been inundated more than NoCal. Face it, California is in very bad shape.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 PM

85 posts, read 137,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which is Mexico's problem------------not ours.
Problem is, this ISN'T a problem for Mexico... $22 billion a year into their country is a plus! Think how much less is spent on medical in Mexico because so many use our services gratis.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Problem is, this ISN'T a problem for Mexico... $22 billion a year into their country is a plus! Think how much less is spent on medical in Mexico because so many use our services gratis.
In a very GENERAL way, you're quite right. For the WEALTHY people of Mexico..(those who actually run the place....reap the rewards...reserve the 'goodies' for themselves'....and wield the political power), illegal emigration...mostly to the US...has virtually NO negative consequences. It provides a VERY useful way to 'dump' the angry, the disenfranchised, and those 'left out', onto a benevolent 'babysitter' next door...the USA. It takes the pressure OFF the Mexican elite, and makes their lives much simpler.

In addition, the USA provides a convenient scapegoat...."don't blame the rich of Mexico for your bleak lives..blame the Yanquis". It also provides a HUGE souce of revenue to the Mexican economy, in the form of remittances sent 'home' by illegals. It lets the Mexican government show 'concern' for its people, when they frequently admonish the USA to "take better care of OUR people"..(the same people who left their country because IT didn't 'take care' of them).....and it's just a general, all-around "win-win" proposition for the elite 'ruling class' of Mexico. The 'race card'...the 'victim' card...the 'blame game'...and all SORTS of other benefits accrue to the 'ruling class' which really runs Mexico.

With all this in mind, why on EARTH would 'Mexico'...(as a nation) want to end illegal immigration? There's EVERY incentive to allow it to continue...and almost NO incentive to end it....except shame and embarrassment..(and good luck trying to push THAT)...

Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM

62 posts, read 80,390 times
<delurking>
I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal, and I can attest to the fact that NorCal people are more PC/ textbook liberal, therefore not as anti-illegal immigration (at least publicly) as SoCal people. I'm a first generation, legal immigrant myself (as a child), and my views on illegal immigration have drastically changed these past few years due to working in healthcare.

Don't get me wrong, I care for all of my patients in the same manner, but I, along with some of my co-workers, just couldn't ignore the same patterns over and over again. Typically, the patient is an "anchor baby" born to illegal, single mother or intact parents. This anchor baby is born with complex, CHD requiring multiple surgeries, which sometimes leads to further complications affecting other organ systems. It's not unusual to have a baby stay in the hospital from birth to 7-8 months of age, and even if the baby goes home, he/ she is frequently readmitted for respiratory issues related to the CHD. This baby is of course eligible for all the social services that California provides, not to mention disability benefits. Often, as the baby is readmitted for worsening of s/s relating to CHD or is readmitted for further surgeries, we find out that the mother is already pregnant, even as she and her family are unable to support their existing family.

I see sad and frustrating cases like this all the time at work, I'm an RN at a top children's hospital. I would say that in the past five years, the number of illegal immigrant patients or anchor babies have risen drastically. I don't have any kids, am single, and therefore pay more than my fair share of both state and federal taxes. California can only raise taxes on people like me for only so long, until we bolt from the state once and for all. Then, and only then will California be left with the people it so deserve to have as citizens: a bunch of non-contributing, overpopulating, benefit-demanding, uneducated freeloaders.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry sakura View Post
<delurking>
I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal, and I can attest to the fact that NorCal people are more PC/ textbook liberal, therefore not as anti-illegal immigration (at least publicly) as SoCal people. I'm a first generation, legal immigrant myself (as a child), and my views on illegal immigration have drastically changed these past few years due to working in healthcare.

Don't get me wrong, I care for all of my patients in the same manner, but I, along with some of my co-workers, just couldn't ignore the same patterns over and over again. Typically, the patient is an "anchor baby" born to illegal, single mother or intact parents. This anchor baby is born with complex, CHD requiring multiple surgeries, which sometimes leads to further complications affecting other organ systems. It's not unusual to have a baby stay in the hospital from birth to 7-8 months of age, and even if the baby goes home, he/ she is frequently readmitted for respiratory issues related to the CHD. This baby is of course eligible for all the social services that California provides, not to mention disability benefits. Often, as the baby is readmitted for worsening of s/s relating to CHD or is readmitted for further surgeries, we find out that the mother is already pregnant, even as she and her family are unable to support their existing family.

I see sad and frustrating cases like this all the time at work, I'm an RN at a top children's hospital. I would say that in the past five years, the number of illegal immigrant patients or anchor babies have risen drastically. I don't have any kids, am single, and therefore pay more than my fair share of both state and federal taxes. California can only raise taxes on people like me for only so long, until we bolt from the state once and for all. Then, and only then will California be left with the people it so deserve to have as citizens: a bunch of non-contributing, overpopulating, benefit-demanding, uneducated freeloaders.
Amen. I saw the same thing on the medi-cal insurance side. there were tons of illegal mothers with all of their brats on medi-cal. so cal has become a dumping ground for the unwanted of the world. the illegals problem is one of the reasons why I left there in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration