Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:05 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Not solely placing blame...this makes for bad political policy. Easy answers lead to ruin. Take the war on terror and the war on drugs as examples...simple soundbits and emphatic blame leads to bad policy.
I myself like data, in this case data which shows how much money spent on illegal immigrants. Data is the only factual evidence we have that something is a burden. That article was just more second hand opinion.

People can bat issues back and forth all day on opinion but when real data is introduced then and only then can a real discussion take place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Tell me that you actually notice trends and historical data right? Either that or tell me that you'd rather have information as watered down and condensed into soundbits without any other bits of evidence.

It's been expressed on this VERY forum that "illegals caused this recession" or that "illegals will lead us to economic ruin"...this is called scapegoating. You picked a group (illegal immigrants) causing a certain event (economic recession or ruin).
Sometimes there's substance behind the bony finger of blame.

If 64% of Californians believe that illegal immigration is harming the state then the other 36% must be the immigrants themselves and those who reside in the rarified atmosphere of the so-called sanctuary cities. You know. The ones who love illegals more than bonafied citizens. Guess there should be one in every pot and several families of them in every garage, right?

By the way, I'm quite politically astute. I also love my country more than I love its neighbors. So hang me!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Well it should be simple. If illegals aren't using welfare and other government handouts, it should be easy enough to cut them off from it, there should be no outcry from La Raza groups that illegals can't get handouts they aren't here to take.

California needs to end all government spending on people who have no business being here in the first place. If illegals aren't taking the government handouts then there would be no objection because La Raza should continue to insist that they contribute and do not take.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 AM

720 posts, read 705,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Illegal Aliens taking jobs and stealing social services are annoying to people that are working making good money. Illegal Aliens taking jobs and stealing social services are THREATENING to people out of work, who have lost their house and are about out of unemployment.
Nice to hear from somone who is in the real world

Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Also why the Mexican government is not very eager to have it's people sent back. They are a strain on society with their high drop out rates, high birthrates and government dependency.
The reason why they are not eager to have them back is not because they are a strain on society but because immigrants send home 23 billion dollars a year from the sweat off their backs. This is their second highest income, followed by oil.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The reason why they are not eager to have them back is not because they are a strain on society but because immigrants send home 23 billion dollars a year from the sweat off their backs. This is their second highest income, followed by oil.
Well, the tourist industry isn't exactly much of a draw right now. I don't know anyone that goes back down like we used to go to Baja.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I myself like data, in this case data which shows how much money spent on illegal immigrants. Data is the only factual evidence we have that something is a burden. That article was just more second hand opinion.

People can bat issues back and forth all day on opinion but when real data is introduced then and only then can a real discussion take place.
Well, let's look at the context of the data. That's like saying 2% of kids like chocolate. Well, what was the context of that survey? The context of this survey is during a severe economic downturn. Thus, influencing responses. Also, in CA...we are facing the huge budget crisis in which many people have no idea how we got here (nor do they want to know the specifics). People forgot that we were in a deficit since the early 2000s...partly due to deregulation of energy and mismanagement of tech boom funds (that collapsed in the early 2000s). Topping it off with our sluggish economy now, it's easy to see how we got here. Notice illegal immigrants were not a cause. How could they be? They comprise a relatively small percentage of the state population (roughly 9-10%...thus 90% of the population is legal). So there are "facts" and then there are real facts...

The data typically doesn't include input into the economy. As a group they have 180billion in purchasing power. This number is increasing as their young actually become more affluent.

Certain data does not take these things into account.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Well then ending all welfare and free health care to foreigners here illegally shouldn't be a problem -- they could manage to send out a little less and spend some of their illegally earned incomes here on their own health care and other costs.

$23 billion would go far in this country too. Is it because they pay no taxes and get food stamps and free health care that they have so much money left over after other monthly expenses? Not many Americans would have $400 or more every month spare cash like the illegals do.

It's a good point though - illegals have plenty of cash and so there's no justification to keep the government benefits going their way.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Think of where that estimated 23 Billion would have gone, had they been Americans doing those jobs!!

And we are arguing over this?? Common sense goes a very long way in life.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista
Nearly two-out-of-three California voters (64%) say illegal immigrants put a significant strain on the state budget as lawmakers struggle to close a $26 billion deficit.

..... The other 36% of California voters are illegal immigrants themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration