U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 12:23 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
my sympathy to the agent's family. border agents do a thankless job and deserve more backup. i think we need to take some of the 22,000 extra troops being deployed in afghanistan and put them along our own border where they are actually needed. increased manpower would do a lot to deter these criminals.

+1, I'm in one hundred percent agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:29 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
pointing out that he was the father of two only highlights the fact that he shouldnt have taken such a dangerous job.
Just when you think you'v heard it all someone blurts out something more ridiculous than is believable.
It wouldn't be dangerous if they could do it properly. As soon as a single BP guy was attacked the order to shoot immediately upon recognizing any sign of non compliance should have been issued.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 PM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
I better get a job scooping ice cream or something less dangerous. Working on PCs I could get a short or something. (double head smack).

Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This is a new low in the 'blame the victim' category. If the illegal border jumpers had stayed in their own country (hint: it's not the US), the BP agent would still be alive and able to go home to his two children at the end of the day.

This is America and there will always be young men and women who voluntarily place themselves in harm's way in order to protect the rest of society. Some of them have families. This concept of willingness to sacrifice your life for the greater good is no doubt puzzling to many from other cultures, but that is how we do things here.

The problem is not the career choice of the BP agent, the problem is the individuals who knowingly cross our border in violation of US immigration law.
Bemoaning the fact -- now -- that he had two children is cheap and manipulative. Plenty of ways to look after "the greater good" that dont risk your children's future.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
why not? They're just as distraught.
The bottom line is if we get the illegals out of our country and keep them out, then we will not have to:

1. console the children and spouses of BP agents slain in the line of duty

2. console the friends and loved ones of actual Americans who are killed and injured by illegals.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,711,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Right....and the phrase "Border Patrol" is also a 'red flag'. Had he taken a job farther into the interior, he might have been safer. Perhaps all married BP agents who have children should consider taking a position as a school crossing guard in Iowa or Kansas. Can't get much safer than THAT !!
Then he would be in danger of being hit and killed by a drunken illegal driving without a license.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:24 PM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The bottom line is if we get the illegals out of our country and keep them out, then we will not have to:

1. console the children and spouses of BP agents slain in the line of duty

2. console the friends and loved ones of actual Americans who are killed and injured by illegals.
Exactly, remove the problem don't band aid it.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
pointing out that he was the father of two only highlights the fact that he shouldnt have taken such a dangerous job.
Oh Good Lord.....that is perhaps the most insensitive and ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum and that in itself, is saying quite a lot.

So, it's his own fault then? Should there be a requirement that only single/childless/orphaned people are allowed to work in service to their fellow man? Every soldier, every police officer, every fireman, every Border Patrol agent who dies in the line of duty leaves behind someone to mourn them, whether wife, husband, parents, children, siblings etc.

Perhaps it IS their sense of duty to their families which allows them to be just as selfless in their choice of profession.

Your comment devalues and taints the man's service to us all and cheapens the loss experienced by his family.

Last edited by Kele; 07-25-2009 at 03:53 PM..

Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh Good Lord.....that is perhaps the most insensitive and ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum and that in itself, is saying quite a lot.

So, it's his own fault then? Should there be a requirement that only single/childless/orphaned people are allowed to work in service to their fellow man? Every soldier, every police officer, every fireman, every Border Patrol agent who dies in the line of duty leaves behind someone to mourn them, whether wife, husband, parents, children, siblings etc.

Perhaps it IS their sense of duty to their families which allows them to be just as selfless in their choice of profession.

Your comment devalues and taints the man's service to us all and cheapens the loss experienced by his family.
Maybe I wasnt clear enough earlier. Highlighting the fact in the article title and after that in the thread title that this man was a father of two exploits his memory in order to make a cheap political shot. If you dont see that I cant be any clearer.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Quote:
Maybe I wasnt clear enough earlier. Highlighting the fact in the article title and after that in the thread title that this man was a father of two exploits his memory in order to make a cheap political shot. If you dont see that I cant be any clearer.
Uh, yeah I think you could have. Do we not mourn for those left behind whenever any public servant is killed in the line of duty? Why is it okay to mention the surviving children of a soldier killed in Iraq, but somehow politically incorrect to mention them if said public servant is killed by someone who is in this country in direct violation of sovereign U.S. law?

No matter how you try to dress up your comment, it still comes off as insensitve and crass.

You can stick a kitten in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or