U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174

Advertisements

Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
The question is not how agricultural jobs are available. The fact of the matter is that many illegal immigrants are employeed in agriculture. The question again is: would Americans do a strike against these companies?
I think the number of jobs is important because farm work isn't what brings in most illegals. When I see a farm worker, I don't and can't assume he's an illegal because I know many are here on agricultural visas, plus as we all know the amnesties beginning in the late 80's were supposedly to allow many agricutural workers to stay. From that amnesty, there should have been no need for more illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,418,517 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the number of jobs is important because farm work isn't what brings in most illegals. When I see a farm worker, I don't and can't assume he's an illegal because I know many are here on agricultural visas, plus as we all know the amnesties beginning in the late 80's were supposedly to allow many agricutural workers to stay. From that amnesty, there should have been no need for more illegals.
Now that I can respect. I wish people would do the same in all areas of the work force. You cant tell if someone is legal or illegal by simply looking at them. Now, where I come from...I wont say where, illegal immigrants in agriculture constitute about 80%-90%. That is a big number. Will Americans do a hunger strike on California agriculture do to illegal immigration? I really doubt it. Not to mention insistance of deviation of this thread...

Last edited by zacatecana; 07-26-2009 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Where I live on the border, I think most farm workers are actually legal, and some live in Mexico, commute over with some visa they have that lets them come over to do seasonal jobs like harvesting certain crops because those don't provide full time jobs. Many drive over and have Mexican plates on their vehicles.

It's certainly not necessary to hire illegals because the agricultural visa isn't limited as are other visas. In other places, it's probably more common to have illegals -- but if they're older, they could be part of that 80's amnestied bunch. Most farm workers I see are older too, I rarely see any under age 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,800,370 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
When Wal-Mart was busted for hiring undocumented workers, did anybody boycott the company? Of course not; consumers value price and aren’t concerned, for the most part, about how a company accomplishes cheapness.
Truthdig - Reports - Legalize the ‘Illegals’

I bet a lot of the so called "anti-illegal" blowhards still shop at walmart and patronize all these companies that employ undocumented workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Truthdig - Reports - Legalize the ‘Illegals’

I bet a lot of the so called "anti-illegal" blowhards still shop at walmart and patronize all these companies that employ undocumented workers.
Well this anti-illegal does not shop Walmart. I don't for several reasons and the hireing of illegals is the least of the reasons.
Zac asked the question would I as an anti-illegal do a hunger strike to protest farms that hire illegals?
The answer is NO. A hunger strike has to be just about the most futile of all protests. What I will do is boycott products made,grown, or processed by such a company.
Now as a good ole fashoned country boy Most of my beef is grown locally and processed locally. No Illegal involvment.
My vegetables are grown in my garden and frozen. I buy very few vegetables. Once again no illegal involvment.
This country can exist without illegal labor and without granting any more amnesties.
The issue isn't with the average citizen the issue is politicians who refuse to honor their oath of office.
One can ask if some are unwilling to blame the illegals for their actions because greedy corporations entice them to come here, then how do we hold greedy corporations accountable when our crooked politicians allow them to do business in such a way?
1. Enforce our laws. No maybe's no only if it doesn't cost anything. Enforce the laws, all of them.
2. Do not reward those who would ignore the laws.
3. Seal the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well this anti-illegal does not shop Walmart. I don't for several reasons and the hireing of illegals is the least of the reasons.
Zac asked the question would I as an anti-illegal do a hunger strike to protest farms that hire illegals?
The answer is NO. A hunger strike has to be just about the most futile of all protests. What I will do is boycott products made,grown, or processed by such a company.
Now as a good ole fashoned country boy Most of my beef is grown locally and processed locally. No Illegal involvment.
My vegetables are grown in my garden and frozen. I buy very few vegetables. Once again no illegal involvment.
This country can exist without illegal labor and without granting any more amnesties.
The issue isn't with the average citizen the issue is politicians who refuse to honor their oath of office.
One can ask if some are unwilling to blame the illegals for their actions because greedy corporations entice them to come here, then how do we hold greedy corporations accountable when our crooked politicians allow them to do business in such a way?
1. Enforce our laws. No maybe's no only if it doesn't cost anything. Enforce the laws, all of them.
2. Do not reward those who would ignore the laws.
3. Seal the border.
True. I believe there are far better ways than a hunger strike because most illegals are not here picking lettuce and so what good does it do to target just the handful that are?

Far better would be for the government to go after the employers of illegals and hit them hard with big fines. The government needs the money, the employers of illegals have been destroying our wages and way of life out of their extreme greed for far too long.

No one is going to feel any sorrow for these corrupt businesses when they are slapped with large fines or shut down. Individuals that hire illegals should also be fined to the maximum amount to repay the costs of their cheap employees. No one will shed a tear for them any more than we do when someone is caught embezzling or tax evasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,418,517 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Truthdig - Reports - Legalize the ‘Illegals’

I bet a lot of the so called "anti-illegal" blowhards still shop at walmart and patronize all these companies that employ undocumented workers.
Americans will continue to buy goods and services because I believe most Americans are more concerned with, "what is the cheapest I can get it for". They will not boycott Walmart or Home Depot who allows day laborers on their premises or McDonalds or Jack in the Box, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top