U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 14,856,345 times
Reputation: 3019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
How is that related to the elderly lady that had a racist sign outside her home?
The fact that illegal alien advocacy groups refuse to make a distinction between Hispanic illegal aliens and Hispanic U.S. citizens only serves to obfuscate the issue. They even refuse to acknowledge these interlopers as being “illegal” -- preferring to refer to them as “undocumented” or simply “immigrants.”

I don’t condone the woman’s actions, but it’s possible she equates Hispanic with illegal aliens due to the deliberate actions of said groups. In their attempt to label all Hispanics as one, they are unwittingly negatively stereotyping Hispanics; which is a disservice to the millions of law-abiding Hispanic citizens of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,215,794 times
Reputation: 474
I see your point Benicar. The fact that many Hispanics support legalization can confuse people. I still think that it's common sense to nit generalize or stereotype Hispanics as all being illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 14,856,345 times
Reputation: 3019
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I see your point Benicar. The fact that many Hispanics support legalization can confuse people. I still think that it's common sense to nit generalize or stereotype Hispanics as all being illegal.
If only common sense were actually “common.” Sadly, once stereotypes become ingrained, they are extremely difficult to eradicate; as evidenced by the perpetuation of “Black” stereotypes. For some, it only takes a minority of a particular group to justify disparaging the entire group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,145 posts, read 34,894,730 times
Reputation: 3764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If only common sense were actually “common.” Sadly, once stereotypes become ingrained, they are extremely difficult to eradicate; as evidenced by the perpetuation of “Black” stereotypes. For some, it only takes a minority of a particular group to justify disparaging the entire group.
So very true.

The 'Irish': never mind they are genetically the same (in most cases) as the English, White Hispanic Spaniards, French, Portuguese, Scottish, etc. had a bad reputation as late as the 1960's in some parts of the USA.

As for American Blacks: their overall reputation is improving unlike at least Mestizo Hispanics for the reasons listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 AM
 
6,005 posts, read 6,334,970 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I disagree!

Hispanic is a term used to unfortunately label, the color of someones skin. Not who had conception.

what color? tan, taupe what about the white and black ones who come from latin america or are decendants of latin american immigrants do they need not to apply to the label. but as u said unfortunately..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
49,631 posts, read 25,123,134 times
Reputation: 10545
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
what color? tan, taupe what about the white and black ones who come from latin america or are decendants of latin american immigrants do they need not to apply to the label. but as u said unfortunately..

Ya, you got it.

For a second, I thought I was not clear enough.


To be clear, you may want to ask the lady that made the call to 911 in Massachusetts, recently. I think she had it wrong, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 10,539,867 times
Reputation: 2226
and are we to accept that and justify it? or reject such ideas and recognize them for what they are?

it reminds me of all the neighbors who left inglewood and compton once black folks started moving in.

they put up signs that said "negroes keep out" or "n!kkers not wanted". im sure those people had some rationale in their heads. they had heard about the watts riots after all. they had seen the news and noticed a pattern of criminality amongst LA blacks. is that enough justification?

in the end they were wrong. so is this woman.

no justifying it. no blaming any one other than the person putting up the sign and their bigotry.
if you think so, you are mistaken, gravely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If only common sense were actually “common.” Sadly, once stereotypes become ingrained, they are extremely difficult to eradicate; as evidenced by the perpetuation of “Black” stereotypes. For some, it only takes a minority of a particular group to justify disparaging the entire group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,317 posts, read 17,600,408 times
Reputation: 6498
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I see your point Benicar. The fact that many Hispanics support legalization can confuse people. I still think that it's common sense to nit generalize or stereotype Hispanics as all being illegal.
I can see your point. I do however disagree.
I am reminded of news footage shortly after 911. It showed muslems of arab heritage in the streets of NewJersey celebrating. The News did not stage this event. The residents themselves committed this distasteful deed. It was within their 1st amend. Rights.
The fallout. Arabs were branded terrorists and terrorist sympathizers. Were all arabs such? NO. In fact most are not.
How it applies to the illegal equasion is simple. Hispanics make up the vast majority of illegals. Hispanics by far out number any others in demanding special rights for illegals. Hispanics as a community tend to turn a blind eye when they know their neighbor is an illegal and in fact as a community help to facilitate and support illegal hispanics. Small wonder that Hispanics are in the spot light given all the facts.
Spin things all you like but the facts are facts.
1. Hispanics are by far the worst abusers of our immigration laws.
2. The hispanic community more than any other facilitates and supports such abuses.
3. The Hispanic community more than any other is demanding special treatment for illegals.
These are the facts..
Trying to divert or cloud the issue changes nothing. Yes there are asian and white illegals and they should be deported every bit as much as any hispanic illegal. The fact remains the primary problem is with Hispanics.
Your house is on fire, you have a leaky fauset and your garden needs weeded. Where should you focus your energy and in what order?
Hispanics= the house is on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 12:49 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 10,539,867 times
Reputation: 2226
i would disagree.

those thousands of people marching for illeglas do not represent the whole hispanic community, just like those few muslims celebrating in the street dont speak for all arabs. see my post above. #117 i dont know how i could make it clearer.

we are smart enough to see the disctinction between the actions of a few and the intentions of a larger group. we have the capacity to not generalize. well at least i do. this old lady didnt. and some of these posters on here def do not.

but at this point the only option is to agree to disagree.

i disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I can see your point. I do however disagree.
I am reminded of news footage shortly after 911. It showed muslems of arab heritage in the streets of NewJersey celebrating. The News did not stage this event. The residents themselves committed this distasteful deed. It was within their 1st amend. Rights.
The fallout. Arabs were branded terrorists and terrorist sympathizers. Were all arabs such? NO. In fact most are not.
How it applies to the illegal equasion is simple. Hispanics make up the vast majority of illegals. Hispanics by far out number any others in demanding special rights for illegals. Hispanics as a community tend to turn a blind eye when they know their neighbor is an illegal and in fact as a community help to facilitate and support illegal hispanics. Small wonder that Hispanics are in the spot light given all the facts.
Spin things all you like but the facts are facts.
1. Hispanics are by far the worst abusers of our immigration laws.
2. The hispanic community more than any other facilitates and supports such abuses.
3. The Hispanic community more than any other is demanding special treatment for illegals.
These are the facts..
Trying to divert or cloud the issue changes nothing. Yes there are asian and white illegals and they should be deported every bit as much as any hispanic illegal. The fact remains the primary problem is with Hispanics.
Your house is on fire, you have a leaky fauset and your garden needs weeded. Where should you focus your energy and in what order?
Hispanics= the house is on fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,317 posts, read 17,600,408 times
Reputation: 6498
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i would disagree.

those thousands of people marching for illeglas do not represent the whole hispanic community, just like those few muslims celebrating in the street dont speak for all arabs. see my post above. #117 i dont know how i could make it clearer.

we are smart enough to see the disctinction between the actions of a few and the intentions of a larger group. we have the capacity to not generalize. well at least i do. this old lady didnt. and some of these posters on here def do not.

but at this point the only option is to agree to disagree.

i disagree
The point is like the Muslems of this country on that day the hispanic community as a whole remains silent.
As sailor I grew angry with my fellow sailors who insisted on trying to live the stereotype fueling the local police in their aggressive treatment of sailors.
What did I do? I cracked down hard on offending sailors. I couldn't change the Norfolk or VA Beach police attitudes. I could however make it very hard for sailors under my command who acted up.
What can the hispanic community as a whole do? Its not hard to figure it out. Start calling ICE. Stop facilitating and stop supporting. Become outspoken against those who would tarnish the image of honest americans who happen to have hispanic heritage.
If 80% of the offenders were white Canadians you can bet I would all over that in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top