U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM

11,435 posts, read 15,963,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So there is no reason you can think of as to why this woman felt compelled to put up this sign? She could just as easily put up a sign saying 'Keep out Icelanders' or 'No Swiss allowed' or 'People from Singapore go away!', right?
as a mexican-american. i've had personal experiences with old white witches like this one. when i was an insurance salesman (about as honest a one at that), she would not let me return to her shack to write her policy b/c she did not want "any mexicans in her house". an older white woman (whose granddaughter is half mexican-american) from my office had to go write it but gave the old hateful bat a mouthful. it doesn't bother me so much when it comes from an old person, cause they'll be insignificant and will die soon anyway. i think that the woman maybe doesn't know or doesn't feel that there is a difference betw americans of mex descent and stinky illegals. it's her loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 PM

60,550 posts, read 30,721,186 times
The older rural generations are very closed minded and set in their ways. Ignorance plays a big role. My in-laws are the worst when it comes to racist views. They live in a small town, where the N word still flies freely. Your not going to change them, you may not like what they are saying, but they have every right to say what they feel. I have to deprogram my daughter when we go visit.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
as a mexican-american. i've had personal experiences with old white witches like this one. when i was an insurance salesman (about as honest a one at that), she would not let me return to her shack to write her policy b/c she did not want "any mexicans in her house". an older white woman (whose granddaughter is half mexican-american) from my office had to go write it but gave the old hateful bat a mouthful. it doesn't bother me so much when it comes from an old person, cause they'll be insignificant and will die soon anyway. i think that the woman maybe doesn't know or doesn't feel that there is a difference betw americans of mex descent and stinky illegals. it's her loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The older rural generations are very closed minded and set in their ways. Ignorance plays a big role. My in-laws are the worst when it comes to racist views. They live in a small town, where the N word still flies freely. Your not going to change them, you may not like what they are saying, but they have every right to say what they feel. I have to deprogram my daughter when we go visit.
For the record:

Since my bio mother married 'outside the family'; I suspect that there was some prejudice against at least my father due to him being from Eastern Europe----------never mind that in appearance I am the spittin' image of her people.

My point being that many rural folks tend to be bigots against even certain Anglos let alone people of color.

Interesting about BentBow's case being he is a technically a Mestizo due to his Apache, etc. heritage.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:43 PM

11,102 posts, read 12,812,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record:

Since my bio mother married 'outside the family'; I suspect that there was some prejudice against at least my father due to him being from Eastern Europe----------never mind that in appearance I am the spittin' image of her people.

My point being that many rural folks tend to be bigots against even certain Anglos let alone people of color.

Interesting about BentBow's case being he is a technically a Mestizo due to his Apache, etc. heritage.
This is VERY true...words like D a g o and Mick fly around here all the time...the difference is,I'M not sensitive and do not care nor does anyone else.....I've heard all the drunk Irish jokes and have never gotten mad at the "teller" of the joke....I guess only certain ethnicities are thin skinned.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:51 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,503,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
It would have been one thing if the sign said keep illegal immigrants out, but it didn't. It said keep hispanics out, it's blatent racism and it's disgusting.

Nothing as bad as the illegals protesting parades...talk about spewing hatred, and racism! At least she was on her "own land" with her sign.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:52 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You're quite correct...there are 'cranky' old folks, many of whom have racist views, and for some reason, it seems there are more 'cranky old women' than 'cranky old men'...perhaps the women live longer.

My wife and I have had run-ins with 'cranky old racist ladies', too..(including one years ago in a supermarket who admonished my wife that she "shouldn't scold other people's kids"...as she scolded our light-skinned middle daughter.....and another elderly dental receptionist who told my wife "well YOUR husband isn't HERE"...as I sat there, just around the corner, 5 feet away. Seems she and I were not a proper 'match' in the old gal's eyes, and she 'assumed').

As far as your statement that she may have felt there is "no difference" between Mexican-Americans and illegals...quite possibly you're right. Unfortunately, though, she has plenty of company there...for not only every white-racist 'wacko' under the sun feels this way, in addition, so do MOST illegal-support groups, and many 'Hispanic activists' as well....when they make such statements as "there are NO illegal humans"....and "we didn't cross the border...the border crossed us". these people, too, in their own way, are blurring the lines, and minimizing the meaning of citizenship...and, in essence, they too, are saying that there's REALLY no difference between an illegal Mexican immigrant, a LEGAL Mexican immigrant, an English-speaking American of Mexican ancestry, and a descendant of the original inhabitants of the US Southwest, because "we're ALL one people". That's the same way the KKK sees it, I would imagine.

That "one people" view of 'la raza' may be a good 'selling point' if you're pushing the cause of illegal immigrants....but it's sure no credit to you, if you're an American citizen of Mexican heritage....

Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,503,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Welcome to the club my brother

I own a grocery store and diner and I have two signs in there that I take literally...."We reserve the right to refuse service to ANYONE" and "English Only".

I am not a racist,but I understand english only and I'm not going to hire an interpreter nor am I going to have the cashier line held up while trying to learn another language.My place,my right and I pay the taxes on it.....don't like it,go somewhere else.

Excellent post!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,028,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You're quite correct...there are 'cranky' old folks, many of whom have racist views, and for some reason, it seems there are more 'cranky old women' than 'cranky old men'...perhaps the women live longer.

My wife and I have had run-ins with 'cranky old racist ladies', too..(including one years ago in a supermarket who admonished my wife that she "shouldn't scold other people's kids"...as she scolded our light-skinned middle daughter.....and another elderly dental receptionist who told my wife "well YOUR husband isn't HERE"...as I sat there, just around the corner, 5 feet away. Seems she and I were not a proper 'match' in the old gal's eyes, and she 'assumed').

As far as your statement that she may have felt there is "no difference" between Mexican-Americans and illegals...quite possibly you're right. Unfortunately, though, she has plenty of company there...for not only every white-racist 'wacko' under the sun feels this way, in addition, so do MOST illegal-support groups, and many 'Hispanic activists' as well....when they make such statements as "there are NO illegal humans"....and "we didn't cross the border...the border crossed us". these people, too, in their own way, are blurring the lines, and minimizing the meaning of citizenship...and, in essence, they too, are saying that there's REALLY no difference between an illegal Mexican immigrant, a LEGAL Mexican immigrant, an English-speaking American of Mexican ancestry, and a descendant of the original inhabitants of the US Southwest, because "we're ALL one people". That's the same way the KKK sees it, I would imagine.

That "one people" view of 'la raza' may be a good 'selling point' if you're pushing the cause of illegal immigrants....but it's sure no credit to you, if you're an American citizen of Mexican heritage....
EXCELLENT post! Everyone should read it more than once.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Absolutely! While I abhor all forms of bigotry, the illegal alien apologists who deliberately conflate legal/illegal have exacerbated the problem of illegal immigration. How is the average citizen supposed to differentiate between legal “Hispanics” and illegal, when their advocacy groups refuse to make a distinction? Case in point: La Raza (NCLR) is demanding illegal aliens be included in the health insurance bill, because there is no difference between an illegal alien Hispanic, and a U.S. citizen Hispanic. According to them, they are ALL Hispanics in need of medical insurance, and citizenship status should not be a determining factor. I’m sorry, but there IS a difference, and it should be acknowledged and emphasized.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:07 AM

60,550 posts, read 30,721,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Case in point: La Raza (NCLR) is demanding illegal aliens be included in the health insurance bill, because there is no difference between an illegal alien Hispanic, and a U.S. citizen Hispanic. According to them, they are ALL Hispanics in need of medical insurance, and citizenship status should not be a determining factor. I’m sorry, but there IS a difference, and it should be acknowledged and emphasized.

Seriously?

I may be dumb, but I ain't that dumb.

That is the most stupidest thing I have read to date. Is there a link to that, so I can pass it around to my local friends and family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or