U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

I guess ignorance is a bliss.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

This video shows how one caucasian American is exercising her freedom of speech by posting a sign that says, "Hispanics keep out".

Not in violation of any law but it certainly says how ignorance and fear can lead to hatred of a particular group of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2009, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,801,324 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I guess ignorance is a bliss.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

This video shows how one caucasian American is exercising her freedom of speech by posting a sign that says, "Hispanics keep out".

Not in violation of any law but it certainly says how ignorance and fear can lead to hatred of a particular group of people.
Then perhaps the "Hispanics" should be self policing if they do not want to be seen in a bad light....their support for illegals does not help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Then perhaps the "Hispanics" should be self policing if they do not want to be seen in a bad light....their support for illegals does not help them.
I tend to agree with you. A little self policing would go a long ways. The same would be true of the Muslem community which remains strangly silent in regards to middleastern terrorism.
It is not racist to point out the obvious. The fact that Hispanics constitute 80% of all illegals.
I think the womans sign is in bad taste and certainly lacking any class. But then the same can be said for the graffiti that covers so many surfaces in american cities. There is no law against bad taste or even being a racist.
There are however laws against illegal immigration. Which is what this forum is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,801,324 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I tend to agree with you. A little self policing would go a long ways. The same would be true of the Muslem community which remains strangly silent in regards to middleastern terrorism.
It is not racist to point out the obvious. The fact that Hispanics constitute 80% of all illegals.
I think the womans sign is in bad taste and certainly lacking any class. But then the same can be said for the graffiti that covers so many surfaces in american cities. There is no law against bad taste or even being a racist.
There are however laws against illegal immigration. Which is what this forum is about.
Well put
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 AM
 
4 posts, read 14,594 times
Reputation: 16
I agree with Muleskinner. It's really easy to throw the race card out without identifying the problem illegal immigration has caused the states. If an American wanted to move into another country (ex. Canada) we'd be expected to adhere to their policies on obtaining a temporary citizenship or their equivalent "green card," and I'm pretty sure most would do it the right way instead of what we've been seeing.

I think it's the easy way out for people to point fingers, contact the news and call people racist for practicing their right to freedom of speech. If the Hispanic community doesn't want to have their race viewed in such a light then why not help their communities in identifying possible solutions to bring to the US Citizenship and Immigrations Services attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Redneckistan
11,102 posts, read 12,801,324 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPrimeroJefe View Post
I agree with Muleskinner. It's really easy to throw the race card out without identifying the problem illegal immigration has caused the states. If an American wanted to move into another country (ex. Canada) we'd be expected to adhere to their policies on obtaining a temporary citizenship or their equivalent "green card," and I'm pretty sure most would do it the right way instead of what we've been seeing.

I think it's the easy way out for people to point fingers, contact the news and call people racist for practicing their right to freedom of speech. If the Hispanic community doesn't want to have their race viewed in such a light then why not help their communities in identifying possible solutions to bring to the US Citizenship and Immigrations Services attention?
TY...I agree...the race card is used now for EVERYTHING...I am NOT a racist,do not like racist people,but I also despise people who use the race card to attack or abuse others or the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Since you feel as if you are a genius,how should I have worded my first post to express my opinion?
Do you really believe that people will stop blaming hispanics even if they were hardcore anti-illegal zealots? Are hispanic Americans to blame for illegal immigrants coming over here? That woman's sign didn't say illegals keep out, it said all hispanics keep out. To try to somehow justify the reasons for that sign is justifying racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Do you really believe that people will stop blaming hispanics even if they were hardcore anti-illegal zealots? Are hispanic Americans to blame for illegal immigrants coming over here? That woman's sign didn't say illegals keep out, it said all hispanics keep out. To try to somehow justify the reasons for that sign is justifying racism.
NO. But hispanics can be blamed for turning a blind eye, for providing shelter and aid.
Maybe I didn't rob the bank but I let the bank robbers hide out at my house. That makes me a partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,791,262 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
NO. But hispanics can be blamed for turning a blind eye, for providing shelter and aid.
Maybe I didn't rob the bank but I let the bank robbers hide out at my house. That makes me a partner.
Yet whites, blacks and asians haven't turned a blind eye to this problem right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 AM
 
4 posts, read 14,594 times
Reputation: 16
Hey look I know that illegal immigration is a touchy subject for people to talk about. I'm not saying that the Hispanic communities or any other ethnic communities are solely responsible or to blame. It's our nation's problem and yes some people are racist, yes illegal immigration has been tolerated by all for so long now... Employers don't mind hiring someone that costs half as much as a US Citizen, job markets crash, Illegal's (no racial slur intended) have no problem bunking up with 6 other relatives to save on rent... but in the long run where does that put us? I think it's quite possible that what the 72 year old female was trying to say might have been misconstrued as a personal attack through the media... who knows, she could have felt attacked when two people approached her about the sign (people don't react well when feeling attacked)... I'm not justifying racism or her for that matter but it seems to me that the editor of that clip would know best. The News is notorious for pissing people off and yes maybe that lady watched to much of it without thinking of how best to vocalize her opinion.

Alright... I'm OUT and off this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top