U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,215,172 times

Advertisements

Indian immigrants on rise

My favorite part;

"America is a very attractive country; everybody who comes here wants to stay," said Shah Peerally, a Silicon Valley immigration lawyer. "I can tell you right now, there are nearly 1 billion people in India, of which maybe 800 million want to come here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:26 PM

47,576 posts, read 57,531,291 times
It seems that even with high unemployment, the USA is very attractive to billions of impoverished people -- much in part because of the very generous welfare handouts.

In the past before welfare, immigrants who came here were not guaranteed the easy life. Something has to give because we're quickly becoming the flophouse of the world.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:07 AM

23,226 posts, read 30,143,356 times
They all need to go home. It does not matter how skilled they are or where they come from. Illegal? Go home.

I work in I.T., an area that has a very large percentage of Indian immigrants working in it, and I do not think they are any better at it than we are. But they have a reputation for being better, and for working long hours without complaining. Neither stereotype is true, it all depends on the individual. Indians as a whole are not more skilled in I.T. than we are, often because their university educations focus on the theoretical rather than the practical. I read a lot of resumes and interview a lot of people, and Indians do not get an automatic leg up with me. We hired an Indian woman to fill our last vacant position but it was because she was the best applicant, not because she was Indian. Most of the people who applied were Indian. One recruiter sent us nothing but Indian resumes; he was Indian himself.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 AM

8,971 posts, read 14,403,508 times
This is getting REALLY complex. It appears that "America was STOLEN from the Indians", and now, it's about to be "stolen BY the Indians"?.....where does it all end?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,633,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This is getting REALLY complex. It appears that "America was STOLEN from the Indians", and now, it's about to be "stolen BY the Indians"?.....where does it all end?
There is now also a thread reporting that skilled (Indian) immigrants are fleeing the US! Which is it? Do they want to come here or are they fleeing the US in droves?

Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM

8,971 posts, read 14,403,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
There is now also a thread reporting that skilled (Indian) immigrants are fleeing the US! Which is it? Do they want to come here or are they fleeing the US in droves?
Apparently, we don't need skilled immigrants here, as much as we need the UNSKILLED ones. It doesn't make much sense, I realize....but apparently, that's the case..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or