U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Reputation: 22168

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynflip View Post
Either you're ignorant, or that's a complete lie.
I know from family in Arizona that that is complete BS.
In a way you're right. The Mexicans where I work were really getting hostile with a guy they thought was Mexican because he spoke English and did not speak Spanish because he was Apache not Mexican.

The reason he didn't speak Spanish was because he wasn't from Mexico but the Mexicans assumed he should speak "la lengua" simply because they erroneously thought he was of the so-called "Mexican race" which he was not.

 
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,772,681 times
Reputation: 22168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohword View Post
You should tell that to the many Native Americans(not "Indians") who have Spanish surnames. You should tell that to the many Latinos who are in fact Yaquis or part Yaqui. You should tell that to the people attending the sweat lodges out in your parts, who are of all races.

I think you're talking about part-Natives or others who associate with people like you. I wouldn't be surprised if all the people you associate with regardless of skin color holds your views.

But the true Native Americans in this country, who are very spiritual and tied to their culture, can be accepting of anybody. I have met many, and they don't look down on anyone...not even 'Mestizo Hispanics'. Why should they? Mestizo Hispanics are just people, humans like you. Isn't this forum about only illegal immigrants, and not Mexicans, Latinos, or Mestizos? "Mestizo Hispanics" is very race specific, and when unfairly criticizing people of a specific racial designation and culture, that becomes pretty obviously racist. People with your backwards views digust me, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't drag down those indigenous to America with you in your hate politics.

I've spent time with the Apaches in Arizona, and they are a great people. As The One said, many Mexicans/Chicanos are very interested in indigenous culture. They have a somewhat romanticized view on indigenous culture of the Americas, and feel a very strong connection with Native Americans in America. Your claims are completely false with no facts to back it up. I have a feeling you have no reason to say that, other than trying to spread your hate of Mexicans, or specifically as you put it, Mestizo Mexicans, to others through false means and lies.

As far as illegal immigration, many tribes are supporters of some changes to certain immigration laws as many are divided from their family and sacred sites in Canada, and Mexico. Some of their family being "Mestizo".
I believe you are full of it. In the days of Texas Independence, Mexicans demanded the USA do something to stop the Comanche raids into Mexico. Imagine that - they asked the "gringos" to do something to make the Comanches stop going into Mexico and taking cattle and what not.

I've known several Chippewa that did not like Mexicans at all. One woman hd married a Mexican man, moved with her young son to Mexico and soon returned because since her son didn't speak Spanish, he felt very isolated in Mexico. The Mexican kids did not accept him because even though he was a Native American - as full-blooded Chippewa as you can get, he didn't speak Spanish and wasn't accepted.

Remember too - one reason "anglos" were given land grants and enticed into moving into Texas was that Mexicans were reluctant to move there, in part because they feared the Comanches.
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Califas
24 posts, read 17,065 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe you are full of it. In the days of Texas Independence, Mexicans demanded the USA do something to stop the Comanche raids into Mexico. Imagine that - they asked the "gringos" to do something to make the Comanches stop going into Mexico and taking cattle and what not.

I've known several Chippewa that did not like Mexicans at all. One woman hd married a Mexican man, moved with her young son to Mexico and soon returned because since her son didn't speak Spanish, he felt very isolated in Mexico. The Mexican kids did not accept him because even though he was a Native American - as full-blooded Chippewa as you can get, he didn't speak Spanish and wasn't accepted.

Remember too - one reason "anglos" were given land grants and enticed into moving into Texas was that Mexicans were reluctant to move there, in part because they feared the Comanches.
I'm trying really hard to see what kind of point you are trying to make, but I can't seem to find it. I was talking about Mexican-Americans in relation with Native Americans today, not the issues of the frontier between Mexico and the United States 200 years ago.

And I don't now what your anecdote about an American kid who happens to be Native feeling isolated due to not being able to speak Spanish has to do with anything.

If Mexicans feared the Comanches as you most assuredly read in some text and aren't just making biased comments, I wouldn't blame them. Especially due to all the tension between the Comanches and Whites that led to a lot of raids of Anglo settlements, and kidnappings of many Whites.
But still drawing a blank on what that has to do with what was being discussed. What exact am I "full of it" about?
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, Califas
24 posts, read 17,065 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In a way you're right. The Mexicans where I work were really getting hostile with a guy they thought was Mexican because he spoke English and did not speak Spanish because he was Apache not Mexican.

The reason he didn't speak Spanish was because he wasn't from Mexico but the Mexicans assumed he should speak "la lengua" simply because they erroneously thought he was of the so-called "Mexican race" which he was not.
Do you know how many people of Mexican descent don't speak Spanish? Hostile? Is this some kind of joke? You sound like you really hate Mexicans. The bitterness shows in your words.
 
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
where do you get your info?
you seem to think you know a lot about these "la raza" people. you dont. half the stuf you write sounds made up...in your own mind.

i can tell you this much:

these la raza/mecha/mexica people IDEALIZE/IDOLIZE anything Indigenous. including apaches and yaquis and black feet and huichol and seminole. they would never consider them "anglo". stop spreading lies. you only discredit yourself. and it makes you look very, very UNINFORMED.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ohword View Post
You should tell that to the many Native Americans(not "Indians") who have Spanish surnames. You should tell that to the many Latinos who are in fact Yaquis or part Yaqui. You should tell that to the people attending the sweat lodges out in your parts, who are of all races.

I think you're talking about part-Natives or others who associate with people like you. I wouldn't be surprised if all the people you associate with regardless of skin color holds your views.

But the true Native Americans in this country, who are very spiritual and tied to their culture, can be accepting of anybody. I have met many, and they don't look down on anyone...not even 'Mestizo Hispanics'. Why should they? Mestizo Hispanics are just people, humans like you. Isn't this forum about only illegal immigrants, and not Mexicans, Latinos, or Mestizos? "Mestizo Hispanics" is very race specific, and when unfairly criticizing people of a specific racial designation and culture, that becomes pretty obviously racist. People with your backwards views digust me, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't drag down those indigenous to America with you in your hate politics.

I've spent time with the Apaches in Arizona, and they are a great people. As The One said, many Mexicans/Chicanos are very interested in indigenous culture. They have a somewhat romanticized view on indigenous culture of the Americas, and feel a very strong connection with Native Americans in America. Your claims are completely false with no facts to back it up. I have a feeling you have no reason to say that, other than trying to spread your hate of Mexicans, or specifically as you put it, Mestizo Mexicans, to others through false means and lies.

As far as illegal immigration, many tribes are supporters of some changes to certain immigration laws as many are divided from their family and sacred sites in Canada, and Mexico. Some of their family being "Mestizo".
Thank you both for pointing out the obvious, it is made up in his/her mind. It gets old having to correct these uninformed and uneducated posts. I frankly dont understand the obsession with "mestizo Mexicans" when in Mexico we dont address each other as you Mestizo, white, black or polka dots, etc. It is tiring to read it on every single thread almost. Then from time to time flashing the "I'm true blue american from Nordic"... blah, blah, blah. This obession is clearly a prejudice and it is not difficult to read between the lines.

What bothers me the most is that some of the antis have the knowledge and know that this poster is spewing hatred. Still do not speak against it. Yet at the same time, they ask that the pros go out and investigate who is an illegal hispanic and turn them in when behind a computer screen they cant even set their own straight. Instead they keep pumping him/her up. Why the double standard?
 
Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In a way you're right. The Mexicans where I work were really getting hostile with a guy they thought was Mexican because he spoke English and did not speak Spanish because he was Apache not Mexican.

The reason he didn't speak Spanish was because he wasn't from Mexico but the Mexicans assumed he should speak "la lengua" simply because they erroneously thought he was of the so-called "Mexican race" which he was not.
I have no doubt that you experienced a Mexican complaining to his friends about a "look like Mexican but won't speak Spanish". I have seen it myself a couple of times but never in a hostile attitude. I have also experienced how some Mexicans go into stores speaking English with a broken accent and the American cashier turns to them and says,"I dont speak Spanish. I dont know what you're saying." Clearly they were speaking English as I could hear them. Their English was not perfect but it WAS understandable enough to get the message across.

What I'm getting at is that these are instances of ignorant people who acted upon their prejudices and are not the rule but the exception. There are ignorant people in every culture, every ethnicity and every race. My major problem with many of your posts Malamute is that you seem to generalize often and even when someone offers you the opportunity to back away from such generalizations, you still push for it. These individual stories are not the whole picture and when told in this context can make someone seem very prejudice.
 
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 AM
Yac
 
5,876 posts, read 6,299,846 times
And as usual, the thread went off topic into the old "you're racist!" "no, you're racist" bs.
I'd like to ask both sides of the issue to stop trying to bait your "opponents"into an emotional response. You're not proving your point this way, at least not to those that know a thing or two about the topic.
Closed.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top