U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
If I'm not mistaken Italians are not considered anglo.
Of course not...they're Latinos. Italy is where 'Latin' was invented, right? Unless they're born in the United States, in which case they're designated "native Americans". If they're born in New Jersey, they're just called "regular people".

"Anglos" are only people who speak English. Italians speak Italian.

Seems pretty simple to me...

Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Well that is madness, in my opinion. Lets also be mad at every Indian for those that chose to immigrate to the UK or every Nigerian or Liberian for those Nigerians or Liberians that immigrated to Italy. Who's left? Lets see...I cant think of any country that is free of illegal immigration. Even American citizens illegally immigrate to Canada and Mexico, not by the same numbers but it happens.

Well, the people that have to pay for that illegal immigration have every right to be mad about the uncontrolled breeding in the Countries that are busting at the seams. Illegal immigration or immigration in general is mostly the result of over-population, an uneducated populace and of course the resulting poverty.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
In my family, those that have been stopped by ICE were able to show their legal papers because they were born in another country. I cant imagine ICE stopping me and asking for papers. What will I present? I dont carry my birth certificate.

One of hundreds? There are a few other cases in this article about other Americans that have been deported. They were racially profiled because of mental health, accents, looks etc.

This is completely unacceptable.

Oh wait, I get it, if Hispanics didnt make up the majority of illegal immigrants then they would not be racially profiled, right?

Or the other one, "So what?" maybe encarcerated they would stop having babies and then out grow the other ethnicities in numbers...xenophobia!

U.S. citizens wrongly detained, deported by ICE
No, a true American -- one who actually is culturally American doesn't have to worry.

I've been stopped and questioned by border patrol 3 different times. It's pretty easy for them to figure out if someone is an American if that person speaks English and actually knows something of the USA.

Inability to speak English will of course get you questioned more. Not knowing a thing about the USA will also -- and unfortunately many people are born here but fit into that category.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It uses it because there are plenty of people who descriminate and have a set stereotype of what a Latino or Hispanic "should" look like! There is no way you can tell if a person is legal or illegal by simply looking at them. And this is exactly what ICE is doing. Looking for a particular "look" to harrass and deport. It doesnt matter, to some ICE agents, whether the person is a citizen or not. Sadly, some of them citizens spend 8 or 9 months before they can get a hearing. Sadly in the first case I posted, he spent 9 months before he could get a hearing, was cleared and ICE appealed the decision. That is so wrong. He spent another 4 months before he could get released.
You must be aware that Mexico also enforces it's immigration laws. How do the Mexican officials tell if someone is from Guatemala or the USA? They can tell. There are some very good ways the Mexican agents use to tell -- but yes they can be fooled if a Guatemalan gets faked papers -- if the Guatemalan is smart enough to know where in Mexico his purchased or stolen papers should be from.

Guatemalans are often caught because they think the birth certificate is enough when they should have a stolen IFE card instead.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU OR CAN U APPEAR TO LOOK OR BE latino/HISPANIC
do away with that b.s label already
That's just it. The border patrol really doesn't use race to tell Americans from foreigners, any more than you use race to tell a yankee from a southerner, or a Brit from an American, or a Haitian from an American.

You ever notice that when Haitian boat people get rounded up, American blacks don't pretend that they were also picked up and confused with Haitians? I've never heard American blacks say that they can't be distinguished in any way from Haitians or Somalians.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well of course they shouldn't be considered anglo. Nor should Irish, nor should Polish, nor French, nor Danes. Anglo refers to a tribe of people found in England, Holland and part of Germany, nothing else or it refers to English people.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Here in Arizona any non Hispanic White person is counted as 'Anglo'.

I self identify as an Anglo White despite being of 1/2 Hungarian lineage. My G/F; whose paternal ancestors came from Italy also is 'Anglo'...........with blonde hair and blue eyes to boot.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Here in Arizona any non Hispanic White person is counted as 'Anglo'.
More and more it's "hispanic" or "non-hispanic" as though the cuturally and ethnic origins of everyone but hispanics is completely meaningless.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
More and more it's "hispanic" or "non-hispanic" as though the cuturally and ethnic origins of everyone but hispanics is completely meaningless.
In all fairness: many of us non Hispanic Americans (of any race/ethnicity) are dropping our own quarrels in the face of the 'reconquista' and starting to join forces along with those Latinos who are also true blue American.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
If you read the entire story, they guy had bipolar disorder, a mental disability. However, he had served in the Vietnam war...would that say something?
No, he did NOT serve in the Vietnam War.

From your source:

Quote:
The son of a decorated Vietnam veteran, Hector Veloz is a U.S. citizen, but in 2007 immigration officials mistook him for an illegal immigrant and locked him in an Arizona prison for 13 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration