Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I wonder how many deported US citizens were actually dual citizens and therefore would have no real reason to complain. I really wouldn't care if a dual citizen got the opportunity to spend some time in his real country.
Why do you dislike dual citizens? They are here perfectly legally, thus you shouldn't have a reason to complain. I was a dual citizen, so was my brother. We were born that way. Many of my friends were born dual citizens as well. I think that your dislike is more irrational nationalism that unfortunately has risen in the past decade.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Why do you dislike dual citizens? They are here perfectly legally, thus you shouldn't have a reason to complain. I was a dual citizen, so was my brother. We were born that way. Many of my friends were born dual citizens as well. I think that your dislike is more irrational nationalism that unfortunately has risen in the past decade.
I didn't say I dislike them but what's the point of dual citizenship if being in your other country is such a horrendous thought? You should want to divide your time between the two countries you owe your allegience. Otherwise -- what's the point in it?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't say I dislike them but what's the point of dual citizenship if being in your other country is such a horrendous thought? You should want to divide your time between the two countries you owe your allegience. Otherwise -- what's the point in it?
Sometimes you are born a dual citizen. Sometimes you want to symbolically retain roots. Sometimes you want to pledge allegience to both (which is not a division of allegiences, but rather an addition). So I don't see any reason why not. It's not as if people are somehow less American by being a dual citizen.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
some people dont get it.
they think there is a division.

i liken it to having a pair of divorced parents.

you love them equally. you dont stop loving your mother to love your father after a divorce (or visa versa). its possible to maintain multiple allegiances.
(waiting for the "war scenario")

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Sometimes you are born a dual citizen. Sometimes you want to symbolically retain roots. Sometimes you want to pledge allegience to both (which is not a division of allegiences, but rather an addition). So I don't see any reason why not. It's not as if people are somehow less American by being a dual citizen.

Last edited by the one; 07-30-2009 at 07:12 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Dual citizenship is actually banned in a number of countries. I myself have no issue with anyone of dual citizenship. I myself intend to do the same. My wife is Thai. I would like to get my citenship in Thailand someday. To show my respect to my wife and her family.
The act of dual citizenship is not disrespectful. Its what an individual does while here that can be disrespectful. Example flying a foreign flag above that of the USA.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enuffguff View Post
Are you scared to step on toes? Instead of fully defending dual citizenship, which you plan on doing, you have to make sure it's known you're "still down with the crew".
LOL are you trying to bait me?
Step on whose toes? What crew?
Here I will help you out. This is the internet. Its anonomous. I really don't give a damn who likes dislikes or even hates me. I say what I mean and don't care if anyone agrees.
That said just because I can annoy anyone that I want to doesn't mean that I have to.
I am not defending dual citizenship. I am saying that as far as I am concerned that it is a non-issue. Its what individuals do that I question.
I gave a valid example.
I hope I was able to help you out and clear up the confusion.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Who the hell are you to say what people should do?
The self-righteousness. Egads!
I'm just saying I hardly find it devastating for someone who is a proud citizen of some other country to spend some time in that country.

If the deported "US" citizens are also citizens of that other country -- then they certainly shouldn't be squealing like cry babies over being in their other beloved country for a while. It's embarassing. That makes them look less than proud of their other country, their other citizenship.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:41 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
Deporting someone who has dual citizenship is still a violation of that person's rights. I dont know why we are even discussing dual citizenship. Or is it also another prejudice? Unless you are in their shoes as someone who has dual citizenship or is part of two countries, you have no right to criticize.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Let's have some people make a mistake and arrest and ship you to Alaska. No big deal. It's your country? Why cry about it? Do you even hear how arrogant you sound? You'd only find it "devastating" if it happened to YOU. Typical symptom of being self-centered.

I'd prefer Hawaii. I'm not a dual citizen that has allegience to two countries. I'm just saying these people should have some dignity when they end back in their other country they love so much and not claim it's so horrible and devastating to be there a few days.

Would these dual citizens scream and holler so much if their other country accidently deported them to the USA?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:01 AM

785 posts, read 1,049,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Ah, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission uses "Latino" and "Hispanic," so it's not a "b.s. label." Sorry.

Most of us know what a Latino or Hispanic person looks like. Especially the illegal ones!
Can you explain to me how an illegal immigrant looks different from other hispanic people? You can't even be sure when someone is or isn't hispanic by looking at them because there are hispanic people of all races (mixed, indian, black, white, asian). For examply, how does Ricky Martin look any different from any other ordinary white guy? How does Gilbert Arenas or Carmelo Anthony look different from an ordinary black guy? If a brown skinned mexican grew his hair long and put a feather in it, you'd probably think he was a sioux indian or something. You can't even tell for sure when somebody is or isn't hispanic by their appearance, so how the hell are you going to take it a step further and be able to tell who is legal and who is illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration