Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU OR CAN U APPEAR TO LOOK OR BE latino/HISPANIC
do away with that b.s label already
My stepsister runs into that from time to time; she looks like a stereotypical Puerto Rican (brown skin, eyes, hair, etc) yet is 100% Anglo of Irish/Italian heritage.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
I've often wondered the same thing. So does Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Guess it's just some 'sixth sense'.....you know them when you see them, but it's hard to really describe...your next door neighbor COULD be a Hispanic....or your doctor, your bartender, or even your (gasp) in-laws. Nobody really knows who's a Hispanic and who's not..but we KNOW they're OUT THERE...

(note that Sherrif Arpaio has been the center of a debate in Arizona, which has become an "in tents" controversy)....

Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,506 times
As more racial profiling continues, more in debt our US government will be with all the unfair descriminatory pratices from ICE. More and more US citizens are suing our US government for deporting them.

Here is the story of another US citizen who spent only four days encarcerated and won $10,000. I cant imagine how much more money other US citizens will get from our government when they have spent months and years in deportation.

Quote:
Cesar Ramirez Lopez, a San Pablo truck driver, won a $10,000 settlement in 2007 after he was held for four days by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents even after his lawyer convinced ICE investigators that he was a citizen.
"When ICE came and detained me, I told the officer I was a citizen," said Ramirez Lopez, 25. "They told me they didn't want to hear it, that I was going to get deported."
Suits for wrongful deportation by ICE rise

Or this one...

Quote:
Pedro Guzman, a mentally disabled man born and raised in Southern California, who was deported in 2007 to Mexico, where he survived by eating out of garbage cans for three months while his frantic mother searched for him.
Or this one...

Quote:
Hwang won $700,000 for a dozen clients who sued the immigration agency, including a U.S.-born woman who received a settlement of $50,000 after agents at San Francisco International Airport, who didn't believe her passport and birth certificate were legitimate, shackled her to a chair and held her for hours.
In the end, how much money will we loose? I've been saying from the beginning that if they go after the businesses who employeed them in the first place, we would not need to go through all of this.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He had no ID or drivers license? There had to be more to the story for him to be lost like that
If you read the entire story, they guy had bipolar disorder, a mental disability. However, he had served in the Vietnam war...would that say something?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If I was a US citizen and appeared Hispanic I'd be hopping mad about illegal immigration from mostly our Southern border causing this...

Oh wait, I am........and I am......
Well that is madness, in my opinion. Lets also be mad at every Indian for those that chose to immigrate to the UK or every Nigerian or Liberian for those Nigerians or Liberians that immigrated to Italy. Who's left? Lets see...I cant think of any country that is free of illegal immigration. Even American citizens illegally immigrate to Canada and Mexico, not by the same numbers but it happens.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
As more racial profiling continues, more in debt our US government will be with all the unfair descriminatory pratices from ICE. More and more US citizens are suing our US government for deporting them.

Here is the story of another US citizen who spent only four days encarcerated and won $10,000. I cant imagine how much more money other US citizens will get from our government when they have spent months and years in deportation.

Suits for wrongful deportation by ICE rise

Or this one...

Or this one...

In the end, how much money will we loose? I've been saying from the beginning that if they go after the businesses who employeed them in the first place, we would not need to go through all of this.
Here's my take....For many years I've tried to forsee the future of our society...tried to extrapolate what "might" happen, going by the example of the past, here and elsewhere.

In regard to YOUR points, above (the mounting cost of lawsuits resulting from racial profiling), I don't know what will happen, but I can speculate.

One thing I can guarantee you is that the PRESENT situation will not continue. Either illegal immigration will be resolved, as an issue, or the current society we've come to take for granted will cease to exist, and will be replaced by something else.

Can the CURRENT situation of paying off HUGE lawsuits to those improperly profiled go on? No, obviously it can't. What MIGHT happen is that we simply quit looking for illegals outside the workplace....or we simply enact legislation that such "mistakes" by law enforcement in searching out illegals no longer qualify the 'victims' for huge, multi-thousand dollar awards.

NEITHER of these alternatives sounds "good"...and I don't know which will happen. But I can promise you what's happening now, will not continue. Something's got to "give"....and it may be our prosperity..or it may be our civil rights...or it may be our relatively benevolent legal system...or it may be all THREE. But something will change, because the present system is unsustainable.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:41 PM

85 posts, read 137,292 times
Quote:
Ah, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission uses "Latino" and "Hispanic," so it's not a "b.s. label." Sorry.

Most of us know what a Latino or Hispanic person looks like. Especially the illegal ones!

Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My stepsister runs into that from time to time; she looks like a stereotypical Puerto Rican (brown skin, eyes, hair, etc) yet is 100% Anglo of Irish/Italian heritage.
If I'm not mistaken Italians are not considered anglo.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
I have a copy or my passport fairly handy at most times...

However, I'm sure my Texas accent would prove my citizenship. I'm Anglo but I have a lot of Hispanic friends who also have Texas accents! I know more Spanish than some of them.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarissaM View Post
Ah, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission uses "Latino" and "Hispanic," so it's not a "b.s. label." Sorry.

Most of us know what a Latino or Hispanic person looks like. Especially the illegal ones!
It uses it because there are plenty of people who descriminate and have a set stereotype of what a Latino or Hispanic "should" look like! There is no way you can tell if a person is legal or illegal by simply looking at them. And this is exactly what ICE is doing. Looking for a particular "look" to harrass and deport. It doesnt matter, to some ICE agents, whether the person is a citizen or not. Sadly, some of them citizens spend 8 or 9 months before they can get a hearing. Sadly in the first case I posted, he spent 9 months before he could get a hearing, was cleared and ICE appealed the decision. That is so wrong. He spent another 4 months before he could get released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration