U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 AM

3,455 posts, read 5,090,963 times

Advertisements

So I am looking to buy an older home and rehabbing it. You know roofing, floors, drywall, etc. which will probably requiring pulling a permit or two.

How do I go about hiring a contractor, here in Texas no less, who does not employ illegal aliens? I am sure I can ask and get a response from one that says he does not but what happens if on the first day of the job he shows up with a posse of illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 AM

23,003 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So I am looking to buy an older home and rehabbing it. You know roofing, floors, drywall, etc. which will probably requiring pulling a permit or two.

How do I go about hiring a contractor, here in Texas no less, who does not employ illegal aliens? I am sure I can ask and get a response from one that says he does not but what happens if on the first day of the job he shows up with a posse of illegals?
Ask the contractor to bring their employee's work authorization papers with them. If they refuse just hang up b/c chances are they got something to hide.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Ask the contractor to bring their employee's work authorization papers with them. If they refuse just hang up b/c chances are they got something to hide.
Since it's so easy to spot a fake work authorization. And even then, what would you require as a work authorization document if the individual says he is a citizen? SS Card, the fakes look damm close to the originals. DL, some fakes also look really close to the originals, and some states issue original DL to IA's.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM

60,086 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

There is a law in Texas, that anyone working in or around your home, must have a back ground check done on them.

Ask for the background checks, for all his employees and subcontractors.
They get around this by saying they are not his employees, but subcontractors.

You will be hard pressed to find a GC that doesn't subcontract out all the scope of the project. You cannot be competitive on bids/quotes, without using illegal labor in Texas. The "if you can't beat them, join them" attitudes run rampid in the construction services in Texas.

I cannot compete on price, with those that exploit illegal aliens. I refuse to use them and I pay the price for not hiring them, as I must charge more for my services, than those using illegal aliens. In a society where low price is everything, it makes it very hard to compete, legally and on a fair playing field.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is a law in Texas, that anyone working in or around your home, must have a back ground check done on them.

Ask for the background checks, for all his employees and subcontractors.
They get around this by saying they are not his employees, but subcontractors.

You will be hard pressed to find a GC that doesn't subcontract out all the scope of the project. You cannot be competitive on bids/quotes, without using illegal labor in Texas. The "if you can't beat them, join them" attitudes run rampid in the construction services in Texas.

I cannot compete on price, with those that exploit illegal aliens. I refuse to use them and I pay the price for not hiring them, as I must charge more for my services, than those using illegal aliens. In a society where low price is everything, it makes it very hard to compete, legally and on a fair playing field.
Too bad you're not in DFW. I know people who would hire you.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Licensed and bonded would the the way to go. Verify that the employer has workman's comp and insurance on anyone going to your house to do any kind of work.

It's far smarter because to be licensed and bonded, background checks are done and anyone who invites total strangers into his home especially if there are kids, is stupid. Illegals more and more are suing homeowners for any injuries since they carry no insurance and expect to have their costs paid for.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:03 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
There was a guy here who had a valid green card he would present to people looking for a contractor to do small jobs like remodeling or repairs. Perfect green card -- except it wasn't his name on it.

It's not very difficult for people to sell a green card, then they report it stolen and quickly get a replacement -- less than a week and the government simply sends them their new replacement papers, no questions asked. Or they can be stolen or forged but that's less often the case.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:13 AM

60,086 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Licensed and bonded would the the way to go. Verify that the employer has workman's comp and insurance on anyone going to your house to do any kind of work.

It's far smarter because to be licensed and bonded, background checks are done and anyone who invites total strangers into his home especially if there are kids, is stupid. Illegals more and more are suing homeowners for any injuries since they carry no insurance and expect to have their costs paid for.

The only trades in construction that are licensed in the state of Texas are, Plumbers, Electricians, and HVAC Techs. Then you have the problem of The owner of the 3 types of construction business listed above is the only one holding a license, and subcontracting the labor to the unlicensed.

Texas is a free for all.

The guy that pours the slab... You will be very hard pressed to find an American on that crew!

The framers. There are still some American framing crews, but they are far & few between.

Sheetrockers, that is a job Americans can't afford to do. You will be hard pressed to find an American crew

Insulation: The guy in the attic, is definitely not going to be a legal. Nor the guy in the truck, for blow-in insulation.

Painters: Seriously, you better speak fluent Tejano, if you want to communicate with them!!

Your cabinet guys are a good bet they will be an American crew.

Your Trim carpenters will be hit and miss.

Carpet... It has fast turned into a job Americans cannot afford to do.

Hardwood... It will be a mixed crew, with the illegals doing the grunt work, but I'm seeing more and more all illegal crews.

Ceramic and stone: It has been done by illegals for 20 years. But I have noticed that consumers are getting fed up with poor quality, and I'm actually seeing more American crews doing this, than in the past 20 years.

Roofers: Good luck, you better speak fluent Tejano, if you want to communicate with them!!

Landscapers:Good luck, you better speak fluent Tejano, if you want to communicate with them!!

Fencing: One American, running crews of illegals.

That is how it is down here in Austin.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration