U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM

19,817 posts, read 10,782,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
I disagree. I feel it is our problem that so many people can't immigrate here legally. We should make the process easier and stop punishing immigrants that want to do the right thing and go by the book by giving them the runaround. Don't say that this doesn't happen either because I know that it does from personal experience.

I don't see what this has to do with anything that I wrote, but I'll respond anyway. Mexico isn't all that poor, you're right. But the majority of its people are dirt poor. There is a huge wealth gap and the very rich upper class makes the country appear on paper to be richer than it actually is.

There are alot of Mexicans that are doing just this. Our policies with Mexico have acutally contributed to the problem. NAFTA opened up the floodgates to heavily subsidized corn produced on megafarms. This has driven about 2 million small farmers off of their land. Guess what country many of these people snuck into because they couldn't make ends meet in their own country? NAFTA has hurt many small businesses in Mexico in a similar manner. It may have helped provide more employment at Maquiladoras, but that doesn't say too much. These jobs are disposible. If the wages become to high, or the corporations tax breaks expire, they simply shut down the plant and move to another country. Plus, workers ther have to work 12 hour days, are exposed all day to harmful chemicals, are denied bathroom breaks, have to take mestural tests, are foced to have abortions if they get pregnant, have to walk home in the middle of the night making them easy prey for criminals. I damn sure wouldn't want to work there. Would you?
No its not our problem that so many can't come here legally. As a nation we have the right just like all other nations to determine our own standards for immigration. In short we as a nation owe no applicant anything. The process is what it is.. By most countries standards it is more than fair.
Your point about the average mexican being poor is accurate. I simply disagree with you that that is any of our business or in anyway our fault or problem.
What is our fault is very poor border security and even worse immigration enforcment.
NAFTA and Mexico. Well it was designed afterall to help Mexico. What is obvious is no one considered the fact that Mexico would export most of the new jobs to China.
Try to by a domestic appliance. Names that were once sinomous to quality are anything but today and they are now made in Mexico. Whirlpool, Maytag.
But once again the problems within Mexico are not at all our problem. Our problem as I said before is poor border security and even worse immigration enforcement.
The problems we had sponcering our spouses are annoying but not at all insurmountable.
Nor are the problems facing non-sponcered immigrants based on the millions who actually receive a VISA. No other nation on earth accepts more applicants than the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:40 PM

17,177 posts, read 13,115,685 times
Quote:
Nice way to justify the government treating me and my family like criminals. It should be made easier to immigrate legally because for alot of people it's easier to immigrate illegally. We are going to have immigrants in the US whether you like it or not. Do you want them to be illegal and drive down wages or do you want them to be legal and compete fairly with the rest of us for jobs.

I want my Country to remain stable with water, food and infrastructure to be able to house and feed Americans and breathe clean air. If we let in every person that "wants' to we won't have that. If you and your family came here illegally well, the description in the dictionary is criminal isn't it?

Your comparison is like saying the price of a bunch of bananas needs to come down to almost zero so that people don't steal them. We are going to have banana thieves whether we like it or not, right?
Nope, make it so uncomfortable for illegals to be here they WILL self deport. Ike already proved that.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:32 PM

786 posts, read 597,327 times
Alot of you guys (Tinman 01, 1 Angry tax payer) are taking my words out of context. Mabye I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well, so I'll say it in other words. I don't think that we should give a permanent resident visa to anyone and everyone. I do however think the system is too rigid. I think that we must make it easier for citizens to bring their family members from other countries to the United States. I feel we must focus alot of resources to shorten the backlog; for example, some people who have a sponsor in the US have waited over 10 years to get their visa. I also feel that if a US citizen marries a non-US citizen, that non US citizen should automatially get permanent resident status as long as they aren't a serial killer, a member of Al-Qaeda or something else of that sort. If the government suspects that the couple married only so that the non-citizen could get permanent resident status, the government should have to prove this before taking away or denying a visa. Regarding the guest worker program, I think that we should use it only when we can't find Americans and legal immigrants to do the jobs. If we do have to bring workers in from other countries, I feel they deserve the right to become permanent residents if they choose to do so. I feel that if we implement the changes that I just mentioned, alot of people that would otherwise come to the US illegally (or overstay their guest worker visa and remain in the US illegally), would choose the legal way instead.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 23,643,521 times
Quote:
It's a huge pain in the @ss. I had to bend over backwards to do all the bull$hit that they required me to do. I guess innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to immigration.
That is the way it is.

And, if you think it is "difficult" in the US, you should check out how hard they make it in other countries.

The US is, compared to some other countries, a piece of cake.

You just want things "easy".

Anything worth having is not "easy".

Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM

19,817 posts, read 10,782,646 times
Quote:
Alot of you guys (Tinman 01, 1 Angry tax payer) are taking my words out of context. Mabye I didn't explain what I was trying to say very well, so I'll say it in other words. I don't think that we should give a permanent resident visa to anyone and everyone. I do however think the system is too rigid. I think that we must make it easier for citizens to bring their family members from other countries to the United States. I feel we must focus alot of resources to shorten the backlog; for example, some people who have a sponsor in the US have waited over 10 years to get their visa. I also feel that if a US citizen marries a non-US citizen, that non US citizen should automatially get permanent resident status as long as they aren't a serial killer, a member of Al-Qaeda or something else of that sort. If the government suspects that the couple married only so that the non-citizen could get permanent resident status, the government should have to prove this before taking away or denying a visa. Regarding the guest worker program, I think that we should use it only when we can't find Americans and legal immigrants to do the jobs. If we do have to bring workers in from other countries, I feel they deserve the right to become permanent residents if they choose to do so. I feel that if we implement the changes that I just mentioned, alot of people that would otherwise come to the US illegally (or overstay their guest worker visa and remain in the US illegally), would choose the legal way instead.
I agree with you about the difficulties and the fact that a more streamlined system would serve to be both easier to manage and shorten waiting times. I will disagree about any right to a permanant resisedent for guest workers. People will come here illegally if they are denied a VISA. Its the mentality of the illegal...
We have a system that needs to be enforced and obeyed. It can stand to be modernized thats for sure. Like you I feel that at long as a citizen is willing to sponcer a loved one it should be a minimum hassel. The reality is that many have been both abused by scams and have scammed the system. Now we pay for the sins of others.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM

53 posts, read 53,915 times
the stimulus money isnt needed if arpaio still gets money from the people who he serves.

i wish that people wouldnt criticize arpaio just because he wants to arrest criminals

Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,097,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post

i wish that people wouldnt criticize arpaio just because he wants to arrest criminals

Maybe he could arrest more CRIMINALS if he stopped grandstanding and wasting the money on the sweeps and went after more of those felons on the wanted list out here!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:01 AM

25,100 posts, read 23,643,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Maybe he could arrest more CRIMINALS if he stopped grandstanding and wasting the money on the sweeps and went after more of those felons on the wanted list out here!
He IS arresting criminals - pity you have not stayed up on MCSO's work

Old 08-07-2009, 01:36 AM

1,932 posts, read 1,097,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
He IS arresting criminals - pity you have not stayed up on MCSO's work
I am quite aware Greatday of what the sheriffs office has done.
His arrests of the wanted felons WAS after the publicity about it wasn't it?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,731,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post

I can safely say that 100% of all illegal aliens are indeed criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration