U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times

Advertisements

First: We are NOT a nation of immigrants. My ancestors were already on North American land when this nation was formed. So the phrase is a lie. An immigrant is someone who moves to a country that is already formed from another country. My ancestors were part of the English colonies and were here when we won our freedom from England and started a new nation. I absolutely hate it when someone says we are a nation of immigrants. And yes, when one becomes a legal citizen of the United States of America, they have almost as many rights as those of us who's ancestors had their blood spilled to start this free country. They should not be president though, according to our constitution.

I am not an immigrant either. I was born here. Totally false statement. Although we have many immigrants living here now, a majority of our citizens were born here, therefore they are not immigrants. You need to look the word up in the dictionary.

The right to express ones opinion through art is protected by the constitution. I don't agree with a lot of things that I have seen called "art." If the artist is illegal, I think we are walking a very thin line. The illegals should be deported, but I am not holding my breath until it happens.

I am wondering if anything in the message is so against our laws that it could be a violation of law to post it. That gets really tricky. All I can say to that is that the artist is really bold and has a lot of nerve suggesting to people that they should break the law. Being in this country illegally is breaking the law.

Last edited by NCN; 07-29-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM

472 posts, read 627,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I have to disagree with you. Everyone is an immigrant unless you are 100% Native American. 80%? I dont know what to think of that number or how you came up with that number. There were plenty of immigrants that came in the 1920's and later too. There are plenty of immigrants that came in the 1960's and then there is the most recent wave of immigrants (legal and illegal).
I disagree with you. NOT everyone is an immigrant. My parents were born in the U.S.A. and I was born in the U.S.A. I am NOT an immigrant.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM

706 posts, read 796,204 times
This reminds me of the lady who put up the sign "Hispanics Keep Out"

While everyone has a right to free speech, incidents such as these two tend to bring out the worst on both sides , which does nothing whatsoever to promote a rational discussion over such an emotional issue such as illegal immigration.

As long as government, both at state and federal levels, continue to use this issue as a "re-election" platform,while doing nothing but make promises, I don't see any end in sight.

In fact, I think it will get worse,and continue to divide all of us.

JMO

Old 07-29-2009, 09:58 PM

380 posts, read 612,161 times
Quote:
By law you are correct but would it be morally right?
IS IT MORALLY RIGHT? WHAT??? ARE YOU ASKING IF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS MORALLY RIGHT OR A PAINTING OF A BROWN MEXICAN GUY IN FRONT OF BARBED WIRE? The issue is not whether it is morally right or wrong because that is up to the individual, and there are over 300,000,000 individuals in the USA who have their own moral code. So as I stated: paint whatever arts & crafts you want and then if someone does not like it they can make that known by practicing their rights of protest. I don't care if someone painted a mural with a flying donkey vomiting a burrito all over the skyline of Mexico City. The more you try to make a simple question more deep by answering peoples simple and to the point responses with more simple questions the more ridiculous the whole simple thing becomes.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
IS IT MORALLY RIGHT? WHAT??? ARE YOU ASKING IF ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION IS MORALLY RIGHT OR A PAINTING OF A BROWN MEXICAN GUY IN FRONT OF BARBED WIRE? The issue is not whether it is morally right or wrong because that is up to the individual, and there are over 300,000,000 individuals in the USA who have their own moral code. So as I stated: paint whatever arts & crafts you want and then if someone does not like it they can make that known by practicing their rights of protest. I don't care if someone painted a mural with a flying donkey vomiting a burrito all over the skyline of Mexico City. The more you try to make a simple question more deep by answering peoples simple and to the point responses with more simple questions the more ridiculous the whole simple thing becomes.
contachster, I think I made it clear that I have not seen the mural myself. I am just going by the words "A nation of immigrants" and "No human is illegal". As I said, I have no problem with the words "A nation of immigrants". I do have a problem with "No human is illegal".

I do thank you for your response.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

380 posts, read 612,161 times
Quote:
I have to disagree with you. Everyone is an immigrant unless you are 100% Native American. 80%? I dont know what to think of that number or how you came up with that number. There were plenty of immigrants that came in the 1920's and later too. There are plenty of immigrants that came in the 1960's and then there is the most recent wave of immigrants (legal and illegal).
When you make ridiculous and vapid statements like that you embarass yourself. Also, your credibility as a legitimate poster deteriorates. I think you need a crash course in history 101. At least take a breather and Google the word immigrant.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Quote:
I am not an immigrant -- unless you people have completely changed the meaning of that word.

How could I be an immigrant? I never immigrated here. I never sneaked over the border, I never obtained a legal visa to come here. Where would you say I immigrated from? I've only been to two other countries which are not my countries.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 AM

11,435 posts, read 15,946,342 times
[quote=zacatecana;10013262]Okay, I would like your honest opinion, without getting too emotional...in other words, serious responders please.

A mural that is set to be finished the begining of August has been vandalized with the words "racist" and "lies". The mural is depicting "A Nation of Immigrants" and "No human is illegal". The manager putting this project on is from the organization of "Yollocalli Arts Reach" that is also part of the National Museum of Mexican Art.

Certainly, I dont agree with the vandalism part, nor the racial slurs.

However, the mural was depicting "A Nation of Immigrants". This statement is correct and I have no objection to it, if it had all races included...Blacks, Whites, Asians, Latinos, etc. I have not seen the mural but it seems to me that with the addition of "No human is illegal", the mural is exclusive for Mexican-Americans.

a mural with that slogan was just ASKING for trouble. I suppose their feelings are that the mexicans are a nationalistic bunch who are taking over the US with large numbers. "Hispanics" have already overtaken blacks as the largest "minority". Why don't they paint a mural asking the illegals to return to mexico?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:17 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
And American Indians were immigrants as well--------------all human being can trace their DNA back to E Africa so your argument is moot.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Well -- even if someone wants to claim that people whose ancestors came here two or three hundred years ago are still immigrants and their descendents will also always be immigrants, a mural claiming we're a nation of immigrants certainly means to exclude the American Indians and anyone with that ethnic ancestry and the descendents of slaves who certainly were not what could be called immigrants since immigrants aren't dragged here against their will.

It's better to say we're a nation of Americans -- whether your ancestors were here long before the pilgrims arrived, or whether they were the pilgrims, or the slaves that were brought in later. A nation of Americans can include everyone, including the various immigrants that arrived here at later dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or