Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,542,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Here is the 'mural'. To be honest, I was expecting artistic skill of some sort to be on display, maybe pictures of people wandering in the desert or the Statue of Liberty. This looks more like an announcement of their beliefs to me. I guess they can call it art if they want.
Thanks for the 'eye-opener'. This was not at all what I expected, either. This isn't a 'mural' by any stretch of the imagination....nor is it an any way 'artistic'...it's simply a large poster. What nonsense. What a 'twisting' of the story. If this is a 'mural', the semi-literate rants on this forum are "journalism".

Give me a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,542,989 times
We are NOT, for the most part, "a nation of immigrants". We are a nation of the DESCENDANTS of immigrants.

Unless you're a present-day resident of Tanzania or Kenya, no human being on EARTH is living where his own distant ancestors lived. Not one. Virtually the entire human race is descended from those who 'immigrated'.

But no...sorry...we are NOT a nation of immigrants. I, for one, was born here. I can't speak for the other 330 million of us, but I know I'M not an immigrant...and I'm part of this nation.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,654,466 times
that is not a mural. looks like those movie or album posters that get plastered at construction sites.

the message itself? i have mixed feelings. mostly garbage. the only statement that i agree with is that this is a nation of immigrants.

it is. most of us are descended from immigrants. and immigrants built this nation.

thats undeniable.

the trajectory of the thread reminded me of another thread where the same tired arguments were made about founding fathers and how immigrants were not instrumental in making this country what it is today. the role of the immigrant/worker/slave was reduced to a footnote.
a poster even brought the analogy that the architect/designer is the one credited for the beuaty of a building. another poster countered that by saying, without workers the house/building does not get built. then came the: without the architect who drafts the blue prints there is no work to be done. therefore the architects (or those who drafted the declaration) are the ones to thank for this edifice/country being what it is.

i provided this nugget to ponder...
the next time my house is burning, and the fired dept shows up, should i credit and THANK the maker of the waterhose, the inventor of the fire hydrant, or should i thank the firefighter who labored to save my house?

ultimately this country was populated by immigrants. it was built by immigrants. they continue to do so. that in and of itself makes it a country of immigrants.

are we all immigrants? no we are not. but we cant negate the contributions of rail workers and field workers and all those who raised sky scrapers in this great country of ours.

this is a nation of immigrants.
this is a nation of brilliance.
this is a nation of innovation.
this is a nation of thinkers.

i have no problem with any of that. those that do might want to reflect on why they feel differently... whats wrong with being a nation of immigrants?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:45 PM

well so are brazilians and bolivians and anyone in america...

whats your point? EG was referencing the ties to immigrants we have. he wasnt asking for ethnicity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am an American---------pure and simple.

That is my 'ethnicity'

Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 8,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Here is the 'mural'. To be honest, I was expecting artistic skill of some sort to be on display, maybe pictures of people wandering in the desert or the Statue of Liberty. This looks more like an announcement of their beliefs to me. I guess they can call it art if they want.
That "mural" is not art in my opinion but those who put it up are excercising their free speech rights. And some idiot came by and wrote some racial slurs on top of it. Big deal that happens everyday in Chicago, sad to say. I live in the Chicago neighborhood where this was put up. I know some members of the group behind this. They are a radical unorganized group of young Americans of Mexican descent who are nothing more than angry and hostile. The original poster is giving this way too much significance.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,095,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well so are brazilians and bolivians and anyone in america...

whats your point? EG was referencing the ties to immigrants we have. he wasnt asking for ethnicity...
Try again: the word 'American' with no qualifiers prefixes/suffixes refers to a citizen of the United States of America.

Mexicans consider themselves to be a certain ethnicity irrespective of their actual race so why can't us Americans be an 'ethnicity'?

Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM

YOU try again. American is anyone from AMERICA, which is a continent tip to tip.

so Bolivians and Peruvians consider themselves american.

we are US citizens. or North Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again: the word 'American' with no qualifiers prefixes/suffixes refers to a citizen of the United States of America.

Mexicans consider themselves to be a certain ethnicity irrespective of their actual race so why can't us Americans be an 'ethnicity'?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,565,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
No, it is here because the people involved in the mural are sending the message that they are in support of legalizing illegal immigrants, which is also my next point.

In a tough social battle between antis and pros, I dont think it is a good idea to post something like this. I would not like it if the antis would do a mural in support of deportation, neither should we. It would only make matters worse.

That is what is so great about America. While we may not agree, we won't kill you, to shut you up. At least most won't.

It is in with the 1st amendment.

It is not OK to destroy anyone else's property no matter what it is, unless it is illegal to possess and your caught holding it!!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 8,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I answered the question so what is your heartburn about?
Like many I just don't really care about what took place in my family tree 100 years ago other than the fact that my family tree was US citizen 100 years ago. In fact more like 200 years ago.
The point of the response was challenging people who claim that we are all immigrants. That is false. If you are born here of legal citizens then you are in fact a citizen. I stress legal citizens... Born here of illegals only makes you another illegal.
You are mistaken. If you are born in the US to an illegal immigrant you will still be an American citizen. See 14th amendment to US constitution.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,565,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
YOU try again. American is anyone from AMERICA, which is a continent tip to tip.

so Bolivians and Peruvians consider themselves american.

we are US citizens. or North Americans.

Was that politically correct enough for everyone to understand?

Now, lets get back to the real discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration