U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:03 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,938,924 times

Advertisements

I am opposed to illegal immigration.

However, I would be lying if I said I did not respect the effort. He risked, and lost, his life in attempt to achieve something. A lot of people have become so accustomed to the relative 'good life' that we have here in the United States that they've forgotten how hard it was to build. I will criticize his means, but I will not fault his motivation.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:50 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I am opposed to illegal immigration.

However, I would be lying if I said I did not respect the effort. He risked, and lost, his life in attempt to achieve something. A lot of people have become so accustomed to the relative 'good life' that we have here in the United States that they've forgotten how hard it was to build. I will criticize his means, but I will not fault his motivation.
Same here.

But what surprises me is that if he had the determination to walk for so many miles in the hopes of reaching the US, then why couldn't he have applied it to improving his own homeland instead of fleeing from it?

Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
He's looking for work despite the US being in a recession and rising unemployment since late 2007?

I'm certain that in Guatemala and Mexico, which I'm certain he passed through, he would least heard something about the recession.
Yes, it pays to stay up with the news. Especially if you're planning a move to some other country and expect to have a good job within a short time. Also someone interested in relocating to another country would normally study up a little first. What's the climate like, will I need to bring a jacket. What are summers like.

Too bad but no one in his/her right mind goes hiking through the SW desert in July without supplies and especially water.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Perhaps he was driven by a desperation that neither you nor I, nor most of our readers will ever have to experience..I don't know, never met the man. But I have experienced truly frightening desert heat, and my heart goes out to the guy, because it's a particularly gruesome way to die.

May his soul find peace...
I doubt it. I think he heard of the do-gooders' border crossing stations where nice meals are served and fresh cool water is provided. He was led to believe it would an easy trip and there would be plenty of these stations along the way.

Promises of amnesty likely lured him, talk of the Dream Act with it's free university education for anyone here illegally, and the knowledge of free health care, government housing and food stamps that can await someone as a reward for coming here illegally.

I blame the open borders crowd the most for these deaths because they entice people to make this dangerous crossing.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
No: malamute's post is common sense-----------would you advise an illegal to cross the desert without proper gear??
The pro-illegal/open borders side does just that. They're the ones that want nothing done to discourage someone from doing just what this unfortunate guy did.

I want illegal entry discouraged in the strongest possible way. I want no promises of amnesty right around the corner that is most definitely luring many over right now to cash in on it.

Enforcement of the borders is the humane way -- there have been years with over 600 people dead trying to cross the border yet it's the pro-illegals who want this to go on. Not the pro-enforcement types.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:41 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,041,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is disgusting!

poor soul. may he rest in peace.

i wish more people knew how dangerous crossing the desert is.

i hope this serves as a deterrent.

what is wrong with YOU antireq?
looking to take advantage of tax payer funded benefits?! ya, sacrificing so much, risking life and limb just to line up for social services... right

is that what you really think?

my guess is that they were coming to work. they didnt make it. let it be a lesson for others trying to do the same.

rest in peace juan doe.

its a tragedy. loss of human life is.
I don't wish anyone dead or enjoy a death however he was coming here to break our laws, does it matter which one?? He would have stolen someone's identity AND yes lined up for benefits if he could. THAT is the whole reason they come here.

I do wish people understood how dangerous breaking the law was and would stay home but once they are here, breaking the law, they deserve what they get.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 PM

786 posts, read 898,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Guatemalan man dies after walking 6 days in desert | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/303087 - broken link)

What is wrong with some of these people?

Well, I suppose that any knowledge of economics or US economic news wouldn't benefit some people at all or, perhaps he was hoping to take advantage of tax payer-funded benefits.
Mabye this guy didn't know about how bad the US economy is, but mabye he did. I'm not going to speculate either way because I don't know the guy. But mabye the economic crisis is hammering Guatemala worse than the US. That's what happens to these third world countries when their whole economies revolves around exports to the United States. When things go bad here, people stop spending money, and the exporting economies suffer because of this. I honestly don't know how bad the situtation is in Guatemala, but it's neighboor to the north, Mexico, is really hurting right now.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
Oh man. I have a 22 year old child and I can't imagine this.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Mabye this guy didn't know about how bad the US economy is, but mabye he did. I'm not going to speculate either way because I don't know the guy. But mabye the economic crisis is hammering Guatemala worse than the US. That's what happens to these third world countries when their whole economies revolves around exports to the United States. When things go bad here, people stop spending money, and the exporting economies suffer because of this. I honestly don't know how bad the situtation is in Guatemala, but it's neighboor to the north, Mexico, is really hurting right now.
The USA is hurting but you don't see millions of Americans sneaking into other countries insisting they have a right to break the laws of those countries.

It's the responsibility of the people of a nation to work to improve their nation. Immigrants are fine when they come to become a part of our nation, because some people want to become American.

This kind of immigration is wrong because when people run away from the problems, the problems aren't solved. Leaving doesn't make the changes needed and the people left behind are often worse off. It's all about easy American dollars, the materialism these people crave.

For example the American Civil rights movement was not about breaking and ignoring the laws of other countries where things might be better, it was about taking a stance, putting even lives on line to work to better this country for all. Working to improve your own country can accomplish much much more but you might not have that latest 52 inch screen television fast.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If he was coming to work, the article doesn't say why he was crossing the border. Not all come to work.
And yet so many pro-illegals refuse to acknowledge that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or