Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
well the concept of 1st, 2nd and 3rd is changing. its refferred to as developed, developing/emerging and under developed.

the IMF (along with other groups like NATO) classify these nations.

mexico would be an emerging country. pretty much 2nd world. like russia, israel or brazil
True. The term "third world", as I recall, is an invention of the Cold War era. At that time, the "First World" denoted 'the West' or 'the Free World'....The US, Canada, Western Europe, Japan, Australia, NZ, etc.... The "second world" was rarely used, but denoted the Communist Bloc...the Soviet Union, China, and their 'satellite states'. The "third world" was those nations supposedly not aligned either with East or West...and included most of South Asia, Africa, and Latin America. It was more a political label than a statement of developmental status.

Today, the 'East vs West' schism has largely disappeared, and the term 'Third World' has now come to mean those nations less 'developed' than others.

Of course, it's a very inexact term. Is Mexico 'Third World'? Probably not in the strictest sense. It's certainly in a better position than Bolivia, or Honduras, or Chad, or any of dozens of other TRULY poor places.

But Mexico obviously isn't 'First World', either...and it has social problems, inequities, class distinctions, and human rights problems FAR worse than France, Italy, The USA, Canada, or Japan.

The situation with Mexico may be harder to quantify than most nations, because unlike any other 'developing' nation, it alone shares a LONG land border with the greatest (or ONE of the greatest) economies on earth...the USA. For this reason, Mexico has been able to go along for decades, ignoring and procrastinating, and failing to correct problems that may have caused GREAT PROBLEMS in other parts of the world. In essence, Mexico has had the luxury of letting its poor and disaffected just LEAVE...and roughly 10% of all Mexicans now reside in the USA. A good way to reduce the pressure on your system, for Mexico....but most countries can't do this.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If I'm mistaken then I stand corrected. To some extent I suppose it depends who you're asking, but according to this website Mexico is 3rd World.

First, Second, and Third World
There are people in the USA who live like 3rd world -- same as in Mexico.

In Mexico if someone completes his or her education, attains job skills and a job and delays the start of a family until that point, and limits family size to what they can afford, they will pretty much be middle class.

Mexico's middle class has been growing steadily but it requires some personal responsibility to reach it.

Of course those having babies at age 14 or 16 and quitting school in the third grade and having 12 kids aren't going to be middle class -- not here or there. The difference is here we give food stamps and free housing and pay the way of those who lack responsibility. They don't get treated like kings and queens back in Mexico when they make these choices.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Poor man. A horrible way to die. My first thought is that he must have walked through Mexico or was in Mexico. Why don't they help these people and send them back home? We always get the blame, but there was this other country he had to travel through and the Mexicans coming? Again, where is the help from the Mexican side of the fence? They need to get their country together.
Good point. He would have spent most of this time over in Mexico and that's where he became dehydrated. Why didn't they find him and put him on welfare and make his life wonderful?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Cant believe the ignorant, selfish cruelty of people here.
The cruelty is from all these people who don't stay and work to build their countries up. Why aren't they home working for reforms, a better education and more opportunities.

Leaving benefits only themselves, and creates bigger problems for the families they've abandoned. It's for the love of money they leave, but it would benefit far more people if they stayed and brought about needed change and reform and built the infrastructure back home.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Yeah Mexico needs to be more like America...just like the tons of Fat teens that cant even run a mile even if their life depended on it...

Just like all those drunk college kids that are killing themselves or others on the road in epidemic numbers. or who are walking of balconies on campus because they are so blitzed-out drunk.

Just like all those American teen girls whos bodies are so used up from promiscuous sex acts that they make a Singapore prostitute look like a Sunday school teacher.

Where most of them have made their first Prono by age 16.

Just like all those American teens that smoke dope, sling Meth, and down Mom's prescrition drugs.

Yeah Mexico dont you want to be just like that.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Yeah Mexico needs to be more like America...just like the tons of Fat teens that cant even run a mile even if their life depended on it...

Just like all those drunk college kids that are killing themselves or others on the road in epidemic numbers. or who are walking of balconies on campus because they are so blitzed-out drunk.

Just like all those American teen girls whos bodies are so used up from promiscuous sex acts that they make a Singapore prostitute look like a Sunday school teacher.

Just like all those American teens that smoke dope, sling Meth, and down Mom's prescrition drugs.

Yeah Mexico dont you want to be just like that.

Of course if the USA is so horrible, then why are they all demanding unlimited rights to come here and be handed US citizenship?

That's the whole problem, too many people want to have just what we have but they don't want to stay home and build their own countries up. It's just too easy to pack up and come here instead and have their own kids paid to give birth at age 14 and live off food stamps, buy drugs and all those great things they didn't have back home.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:41 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

I totally agree. Far too many American high school girls spend WAY too little time learning about calculus and geometry, and WAY too much time wondering, "what guy can I trick into buying me a corsage, picking me up in a limousine, and taking me out to the Senior Prono ?"

I think 16 is entirely too young for a prono, anyway. Besides that, too many teens drink and act silly on 'prono night'. In Mexico, they don't have those silly pronos....they have quinceaneras instead....and NOBODY spends money they can't afford on a quinceanera....that would be just FUELISH !!

DOWN with pronos!! UP with quinceaneras !!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course if the USA is so horrible, then why are they all demanding unlimited rights to come here and be handed US citizenship?

That's the whole problem, too many people want to have just what we have but they don't want to stay home and build their own countries up. It's just too easy to pack up and come here instead and have their own kids paid to give birth at age 14 and live off food stamps, buy drugs and all those great things they didn't have back home.
Because it's that easy to build a country...

Old 02-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

So you want me to speak for all 20 million illegal aliens?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I totally agree. Far too many American high school girls spend WAY too little time learning about calculus and geometry, and WAY too much time wondering, "what guy can I trick into buying me a corsage, picking me up in a limousine, and taking me out to the Senior Prono ?"

I think 16 is entirely too young for a prono, anyway. Besides that, too many teens drink and act silly on 'prono night'. In Mexico, they don't have those silly pronos....they have quinceaneras instead....and NOBODY spends money they can't afford on a quinceanera....that would be just FUELISH !!

DOWN with pronos!! UP with quinceaneras !!
Ill defer to you, cuz you sound like the expert on this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration