Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 PM

73 posts, read 85,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
If one illegal alien runs over another illegal alien........this sounds like a trick question of some sort. The bottom line is that neither should have been here and if one or both had not been here this specific accident would not have happened. As usual, the end result is that the US taxpayer will be on the hook for the expenses of prosecuting the driver and the medical bills of the person who was hit.

When did he present the 2 out of 10 figure as a fact? He said it was an estimate. Surely you know the difference between the two, eh?
As you put it, it's more of a kōan, which I presume is "American" for "trick question". Had neither of them been in the US, a similar incident could have happened involving citizens. As I said, a similar incident did happen involving citizens, and I was on the losing end of it. Similar incidents happen every day and could easily be less with fewer drivers or fewer people. Obviously.

Oh, that's right the phrase "hard numbers" was yours. That was an estimate from an anonymous non-expert that I (perhaps uniquely) did not accept as "fact" or grounded in "hard numbers". Also, it's made up, eh?

The taxpayer was "on the hook" for medical bills in "this specific incident" according to whom? Were you addressing "this specific incident" or dealing in more general matters? Did you intend to muddle the general and specific (PROTIP: I did, but that's what I do.)

I'll add (as I should have a month ago) that I hope the person that was hit is well and has a speedy recovery. Win or lose, there's no honor to be had using this person's misfortune as a debating point. No need to chime in with sympathy, but (as someone that's sort-of been there) I don't feel 100% right doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM

73 posts, read 85,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Question: are you pro or anti illegal immigration AKA amnesty?

I am definitely against giving illegals anything beyond seizure of their assets and deportation out of the USA
What do you want from me, Bear? I don't want people to break the law to "have a better life". I want people to be allowed (legally, there are endless practical obstacles) to go from A to B anywhere on this planet. I don't know where that puts me, except as an idealist.

People that go from A to B are subject to local law. In our country, those entering or remaining contrary to law are liable for administrative removal (deportation). I don't cheer it, but that's the law from day one till death (or voluntary removal). Best that potential violators be prevented from violating in the first place or be dealt with when/if they come to public attention.

I am otherwise anti-enforcement and pro-business in terms of this argument. I'm pro-amnesty to the extent that I feel that anyone ("criminal" or not) should tell investigators looking to chit-chat to either make an arrest based on probable cause or go do their job. If our fellow citizens (and others) would do that, it would be "amnesty" for all, de facto, except for those begging to be brought down.

Otherwise, I fear we're drifting way off topic. here.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Everybody please calm down and get back on topic.
Yac.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:49 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andornot View Post
As you put it, it's more of a kōan, which I presume is "American" for "trick question". Had neither of them been in the US, a similar incident could have happened involving citizens. As I said, a similar incident did happen involving citizens, and I was on the losing end of it. Similar incidents happen every day and could easily be less with fewer drivers or fewer people. Obviously.

Oh, that's right the phrase "hard numbers" was yours. That was an estimate from an anonymous non-expert that I (perhaps uniquely) did not accept as "fact" or grounded in "hard numbers". Also, it's made up, eh?

The taxpayer was "on the hook" for medical bills in "this specific incident" according to whom? Were you addressing "this specific incident" or dealing in more general matters? Did you intend to muddle the general and specific (PROTIP: I did, but that's what I do.)

I'll add (as I should have a month ago) that I hope the person that was hit is well and has a speedy recovery. Win or lose, there's no honor to be had using this person's misfortune as a debating point. No need to chime in with sympathy, but (as someone that's sort-of been there) I don't feel 100% right doing it.

You must not live in Escondido? The US citizens there are facing serious illegal immigration issues. What are the chances that all or even most of those unlicensed drivers are Americans? Hardly.

Forum with Escondido police chief does not go well | La Prensa San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration