U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:51 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Overstayed, please do realize that most people who post in this forum have a very anti-immigrant or anti-illegal immigrant agenda. it's in your best interest to consult an attorney who will take into consideration your future when making suggestions, and showing you your options.
True, there are some 'hard cases' on the forum, just waiting to 'pounce' on all illegals....particularly one who admits his status. I can't deny that...but this is a public forum, and there's a HUGE possibility for 'hoax' here....and somehow, the idea of a college student writing a SERIOUS plea, that includes the word "wanna", just doesn't sound right to me. Also, the OP's final word, "sob", smacks of a sort of jaded sarcasm. People just don't send sad, emotional pleas, and then WRITE the word "sob". (If I HEAR you sobbing, it touches my heart...but if you actually WRITE OUT the word "sob", it annoys me...it's like writing out "gasp"..or "shudder".). It sounds condescending and sarcastic. I suspect an American college student pulling a prank....(not a very SMOOTH one, I might add).

I hope I'm right, and I have sympathy for anyone in a 'tight spot' not of his own doing....but this thread just doesn't 'smell' right, to me. If I'm wrong, I apologize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 PM

11 posts, read 13,062 times
its real, sorry if my grammar is bad
i posted in this forum because i saw some old posts about some guy who also overstayed here
and i was asking for serious advice

thanks to those who replied i really really appreciate it

Old 08-07-2009, 08:20 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True, there are some 'hard cases' on the forum, just waiting to 'pounce' on all illegals....particularly one who admits his status. I can't deny that...but this is a public forum, and there's a HUGE possibility for 'hoax' here....and somehow, the idea of a college student writing a SERIOUS plea, that includes the word "wanna", just doesn't sound right to me. Also, the OP's final word, "sob", smacks of a sort of jaded sarcasm. People just don't send sad, emotional pleas, and then WRITE the word "sob". (If I HEAR you sobbing, it touches my heart...but if you actually WRITE OUT the word "sob", it annoys me...it's like writing out "gasp"..or "shudder".). It sounds condescending and sarcastic. I suspect an American college student pulling a prank....(not a very SMOOTH one, I might add).

I hope I'm right, and I have sympathy for anyone in a 'tight spot' not of his own doing....but this thread just doesn't 'smell' right, to me. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Even though I realize that this might be a hoax, or that the OP might not have the exact problem in real live. I prefer to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Even if I knew that the OP was pulling our leg, I would probably still reply with the best advice that I can come up with, because my response might be useful to someone else who might be in that situation and happens to be reading the boards or finds the thread in a google search.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:25 PM

365 posts, read 898,329 times
Quote:
Now, how would he do that? He has overstayed his visa. Short of marrying someone he is not eligible to start the legal permanent resident, let alone the naturalization one.
But it is the best thing to do. If he's scared, they could help him. He can start naturalization proceedings once he goes back. Living in fear is no life, no matter how you slice it.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 PM

11 posts, read 13,062 times
sorry for the inappropriate words i used in my post
maybe because im used to online games discussion threads
i have googled up the word hoax and found out its meaning
im really serious in everything i posted,its really happening to me right now

Old 08-07-2009, 08:44 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overstayed View Post
sorry for the inappropriate words i used in my post
maybe because im used to online games discussion threads
i have googled up the word hoax and found out its meaning
im really serious in everything i posted,its really happening to me right now
You have my sympathy...but I'm not sure what you could do that will sound appealing...there's no real easy way out. It's just not a good time in history to be here illegally.

Blame a bad economy, years of government neglect, a once-complacent local population, and previous millions of illegals who have "ruined" what once was a quiet, 'victimless' situation and turned it into a huge controversy.

I hope you find an answer...best wishes to you.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:17 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You have my sympathy...but I'm not sure what you could do that will sound appealing...there's no real easy way out. It's just not a good time in history to be here illegally.

Blame a bad economy, years of government neglect, a once-complacent local population, and previous millions of illegals who have "ruined" what once was a quiet, 'victimless' situation and turned it into a huge controversy.

I hope you find an answer...best wishes to you.
Good point, things like the abuse of the 14th have really put a sour taste in the mouths of most Americans. At one point in history most immigrants came here and worked hard, then the abuse of the social services started. Here we are now.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,935,776 times
Quote:
Your solution only serves yourself and your political agenda, with complete disregard of the implications in the poster's future or well-being. From his original post, it seems that he has a legitimate question.
He asked a question which I accept as legitimate. I gave an answer based on the limited facts he has offered. If he would like to elaborate on his situation beyond what he has stated, then he should do so. For example, if he left a country where he would have been persecuted if he stayed (or returned) due to his religious beliefs or political position, then I could see flexibility in his case, e.g. political amnesty.

In the absence of details, he gets the standard solution. A solution that I agree serves me. If you recall, I earlier suggested (and you corrected) that he begin the naturalization process - implying he could actually stay here in the meantime. That solution serves me, as well. Both solutions resolve his illegal status - which is what I want and coincidentally is what he wants. I do not want a solution that serves him at my expense.

Trust me - I am sympathetic to his situation but I will not abandon reason on his behalf.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
But it is the best thing to do. If he's scared, they could help him. He can start naturalization proceedings once he goes back. Living in fear is no life, no matter how you slice it.
As you stated

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM

14,809 posts, read 18,811,177 times
Of course it is a hoax,
if he was really an immigrant he would have said
(1) What city he lives in (For immigration purposes, it's an important factor whether he lives in Miami or Cheyenne, Wyoming)
(2) What country he came from (Immigration laws are different for every country, if he's cuban, he's instantly legal in the US)

You want advice?
I've gone through the whole process and the only advice I'm gonna give you is to find another immigrant where you live that has gone through the same thing that you are in.
Besides that... good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or