U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:

Work at poultry plants has often been done by recent immigrants, who now face more competition for such jobs.

"It's easy for someone like your middle manager to take on a job at a poultry plant, because they have the skills to do many things. But for the immigrant, that might have been the only option," said Catherine Singley of the National Council of La Raza, an immigrant advocacy group in Washington.

Tyson spokesman Gary Mickelson said the company has seen a rise in applicants at most of its processing plants and "an increase in the qualifications and experience of those applying."
Now hiring: Everywhere you didn't want to work - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Now-hiring-Everywhere-you-apf-2845647892.html?x=0 - broken link)

So much for the axiom of 'jobs that Americans won't do'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2009, 05:36 PM
 
33 posts, read 35,244 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Now hiring: Everywhere you didn't want to work - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Now-hiring-Everywhere-you-apf-2845647892.html?x=0 - broken link)

So much for the axiom of 'jobs that Americans won't do'.
Apparently, the "axiom" was true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,413,502 times
Reputation: 475
That's right. Aparently they didn't want to do them. It took an economic depression to change their minds. I wonder how long the crisis will last and how long it will take for these workers to decide they no longer want to do the jobs, again. Good for them, jobs should go to citizens first.

Tyson was actually one of the companies that supported the "national walkout" in support of legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Reputation: 17698
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
That's right. Aparently they didn't want to do them. It took an economic depression to change their minds. I wonder how long the crisis will last and how long it will take for these workers to decide they no longer want to do the jobs, again. Good for them, jobs should go to citizens first.

Tyson was actually one of the companies that supported the "national walkout" in support of legalization.
Americans will do any job so long as the pay is equal the job. Illegal Aliens take away that balance because they will take anything.

I don't know why any American would go against good pay for Americans. No job should be below market rate, Illegals are not part of the market rate formula. They are part of an underground illegal market. It makes me wonder which flag people hold their allegiance to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
Reputation: 47456
the nerve of those americans by competing for jobs with illegal immigrants who do they think they are citizens of the country or something? how dare they discriminate by using their education and skills to get a job. btw we are talking about the 21 million illegal mexican people--- our government does not know how they got here or where they are working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:52 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,599 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the nerve of those americans by competing for jobs with illegal immigrants who do they think they are citizens of the country or something? how dare they discriminate by using their education and skills to get a job. btw we are talking about the 21 million illegal mexican people--- our government does not know how they got here or where they are working.
Amen !!! Sadly this is indeed the attitude of the Illegal Alien apologists..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,283 posts, read 49,847,621 times
Reputation: 67136
I would pay twice as much for everything (lawn care, cleaning service, fruits/veggies) if it meant I never had to look at another illegal alien again. So much for the price argument. Some things are worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 AM
 
Location: The Wine Country, CA
807 posts, read 1,117,599 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would pay twice as much for everything (lawn care, cleaning service, fruits/veggies) if it meant I never had to look at another illegal alien again. So much for the price argument. Some things are worth it.
Agreed.. Some things are well worth the price.. I'll take Quality of life Vs. "Cheap" including Cheap Quality any day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,446 posts, read 30,701,915 times
Reputation: 12880
Quote of the day:


Why should I hire you, when I can get 4 illegals for the same price.

I wish I had a dime for everytime I have heard that!!


That is why it is called Jobs Americans can't afford to do.
The rise in minimum wage, makes illegals even more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Agreed.. Some things are well worth the price.. I'll take Quality of life Vs. "Cheap" including Cheap Quality any day..
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would pay twice as much for everything (lawn care, cleaning service, fruits/veggies) if it meant I never had to look at another illegal alien again. So much for the price argument. Some things are worth it.
As both of you stated-----------or, I will do the work myself.

I am not 'above' cutting my own grass, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top