U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
In order to help avert potential dustups like this in the future, you could volunteer to act as a liason between the two groups.
Isn't that what we do here? Both groups are represented in this forum.

Two down...the 3 minutemen killers and the greedy that took $157,000 from our CA state who is on it's last leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Want to get MAD, Zacatecana? Mad at those who'd rip off our bankrupt state? How about The Honorable Bruce Malkenhorst?. Bruce is the retired Mayor of the City of Vernon (LA County..) Vernon's population is 92. Malkenhorst is retired for life on a Cal PERS pension of $499,000 per year...for life.

Can we afford that? I don't know. (The SECOND Cal Pers 'winner' retiree has to scrape by on only about $265,000/ year).

I KNOW we're going bankrupt....just not sure The Minutemen are the main reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:04 PM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
There are a lot of reasons why we are going bankrupt and I see the state's money being scrutinized to the penny. I'm not exactly mad and I do see both sides. However, this doesn't help at all.

Anyway, Thanks for the chat. Got to go my friend!

Last edited by zacatecana; 08-08-2009 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
There are a lot of reasons why we are going bankrupt and I see the state's money being scrutinized to the penny. I'm not exactly mad and I do see both sides. However, this doesn't help at all.

Anyway, Thanks for the chat. Got to go my friend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Reputation: 1285
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Isn't that what we do here? Both groups are represented in this forum.

Two down...the 3 minutemen killers and the greedy that took $157,000 from our CA state who is on it's last leg.
What '3 minutemen killers' are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,095 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Reputation: 12815
For them to be able to "take" Cali's money, Cali must have been doing something wrong, just like what got them into the mess they are in, now. Judgements are not made because your "not guilty"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Tinman01, I'm not saying you are wrong. However, does this make it ok to sue our government? Again, where is the distress?
The distress is caused by our gov discriminating against a group simply because the grouppoints out the obvious that the gov is failing to do its job. In short the gov is using its power to punish the minutemen. That is really what this lawsuit was about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The distress is caused by our gov discriminating against a group simply because the grouppoints out the obvious that the gov is failing to do its job. In short the gov is using its power to punish the minutemen. That is really what this lawsuit was about.
That's pretty much "it". The Minutemen were 'jerked around' not because they had done anything 'bad' or 'illegal'. (Had they fit THAT category, they'd have never been eligible for the program at all). The Minutemen were 'jerked around' because somebody didn't LIKE them; leaned on the politicians to 'give them a hard time', and send them off to 'the boondocks'. The politicians couldn't 'pin anything' on the Minutemen, so just decided to harrass them...and that's a punishable offense. The Minutemen were guilty only of being massively unpopular with certain groups....and you can't harrass people for being unpopular. If you DO, you can get fined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
That's pretty much "it". The Minutemen were 'jerked around' not because they had done anything 'bad' or 'illegal'. (Had they fit THAT category, they'd have never been eligible for the program at all). The Minutemen were 'jerked around' because somebody didn't LIKE them; leaned on the politicians to 'give them a hard time', and send them off to 'the boondocks'. The politicians couldn't 'pin anything' on the Minutemen, so just decided to harrass them...and that's a punishable offense. The Minutemen were guilty only of being massively unpopular with certain groups....and you can't harrass people for being unpopular. If you DO, you can get fined.
Which is exactly why Cal lost the lawsuit and deserved to be held accountable. 157g is nothing compared to the cost of illegals. Perhaps they should devote more effort towards immigration enforcment insted of enabling illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
Reputation: 369
It seems a lawsuit is the only way to get some people's attention. Without a lawsuit the Minutemen could have filed a complaint, but would probably been ignored. I don't think it was about the money at all. It was a way to get the case heard, and ruled on.

To me the blame lies with the pro-illegal complainants. They're the ones who tried to have the signs removed because they didn't agree with the opposition. They seem to think freedom of speech, and/or expression applies only to them. If their marches had been relegated to some back country road, you'd have heard them scream from CA to NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top