Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:49 PM

50,158 posts, read 46,820,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You really think this is about choosing a flag? I thought it was about doing anything we could to save our state from going bankrupt. Where is the socalled charity work?
Good point, they support of Illegal Aliens in this Country should be charity only. The tax payers have taken a beating supporting Illegals by force via taxes. Pro-Illegals need to get out their check books and start writing.

It's so easy to spend other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,035,925 times
You know, I don't agree with people living off of welfare. However, statistics do show that the majority of welfare users are citizens. I fail to see how this makes it ok for this group who is doing "good" for our country" thinks it's ok to take $157,000 from tax payers. Are they going to pay these people for watching the border now? Charity huh?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,532,515 times
Here's my understanding...and correct me if I'm wrong. The Minutemen are theoretically not doing anything wrong...aren't touching anyone...aren't even 'shouting' at anyone..they're simply annoying people...annoying illegals by 'observing' their nightly crossing of the border....annoying the Border Patrol by pointing out the illegals that the BP either can not; will not; or has been ORDERED not...to apprehend. They even annoyed President Bush, whose only public mention of them was to call them 'vigilantes'....I'd call them nothing of the sort (vigilantes HURT people). I'd compare the Minutemen more to a Neighborhood Watch group...or just busybodies.

In THEORY, the San Diego chapter had the right to request a 'cleanup' area in their neighborhood. At first, intense pressure from NCLR, et al, forced officials to DENY them any such area...and finally, they WERE awarded an area, but it was far out in a rural area of remote Eastern San Diego County.

The Minutemen got "mad", and sought redress in court. SHOULD they have done this? I don't know....but I don't see their case as any less meritorious than any OTHER punitive lawsuit. We live in a litigious society...and when we want to get even, we SUE. That's all we can do, under our laws.

Was this a "good" lawsuit? I don't know. MANY of them aren't, that's for sure..

Old 08-08-2009, 03:13 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,075,581 times
Quote:
I'm not against them in any shape, way or form! I'm against the amount they suited for considering I am a tax payer of California and considering my state is going bankrupt!

This award is pennys compared to the cost of supporting all of California's illegal immigrants. That is where you need to direct your outrage.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,184,820 times
Quote:
You know, I don't agree with people living off of welfare. However, statistics do show that the majority of welfare users are citizens. I fail to see how this makes it ok for this group who is doing "good" for our country" thinks it's ok to take $157,000 from tax payers. Are they going to pay these people for watching the border now? Charity huh?
You seem to forget about the costs to provide translators in schools. Just say the average translator or bi-lingual teacher costs 60g with benefits. ( That is a low ball figure) How many teachers have we been forced to supply? That is but one additional cost associated with illegals. To say that illegals dont cost us anything is either naive or one has made a choice to ignore the obvious.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Tinman01, I'm not saying you are wrong. However, does this make it ok to sue our government? Again, where is the distress?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
How many of those recipients have illegal parents?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 PM

And your point is?

Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
And your point is?
My point is if it wasn't for the abuse of the 14th the stats would read, welfare to Illegal Aliens. That is my point.

Not all but very much, of course.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
Quote:
Tinman01, I'm not saying you are wrong. However, does this make it ok to sue our government? Again, where is the distress?
Do away with bilingual education in the schools-------------our legal immigrants (Italian, German, Japanese, etc.) prior to WW II did quite well with English immersion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration