U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:29 PM

29,607 posts, read 31,914,576 times

Advertisements

I hope it doesn't get as nasty as the health care issue has. These are real people we are talking about. The angry folk may not just be complaining at town hall meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Of all the discussions I've read on C-D and elsewhere on a plethora of political issues, this one unites both left and right the most. I'd be shocked if amnesty happened, especially given the angry mood of the country (and no, it is not manufactured). I just saw 14 different poll results on AOL that back my opinion (normally, online users lean left -- not now).
Since the majority are against Illegal Immigration anything resembling amnesty will be a career stopper for anyone backing a free for all amnesty. That goes for any seat.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
I do believe the MSM will attempt to portray every anti-illegal as being a racist. However, the trite race card no longer has as much power. Moreover, there are enough legitimate arguments to oppose illegal immigration to effectively counter accusations of racism. Folks are fed up with illegal aliens, and questions are being raised during the healthcare debates. Citizens want guarantees that illegal aliens will not be included.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM

53 posts, read 79,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I do believe the MSM will attempt to portray every anti-illegal as being a racist. However, the trite race card no longer has as much power. Moreover, there are enough legitimate arguments to oppose illegal immigration to effectively counter accusations of racism. Folks are fed up with illegal aliens, and questions are being raised during the healthcare debates. Citizens want guarantees that illegal aliens will not be included.
i've been seeing lots of people asking about if illegals are included and many of those asked incl. pelosi, obama and a maryland senator all claimed illegals can't receive it but so many democrats are opposed to having IDs checks...

why?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
I think people will be just as angry, but will hesitate to speak publicly for fear of being called 'anti-immigrant' and 'racist.' I do expect though that they will remember who was pro-amnesty at voting time. Actually, they may be angrier if the healthcare bill passes. They'll feel they've had one bill they didn't want shoved down their throats, and with residual anger over that, won't be happy to see Congress trying to shove another bill down their throats.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:59 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobejano View Post
i've been seeing lots of people asking about if illegals are included and many of those asked incl. pelosi, obama and a maryland senator all claimed illegals can't receive it but so many democrats are opposed to having IDs checks...

why?
They don’t want any form of verification because they know they have already included illegals in the total “uninsured.” Many illegal alien advocates have been fighting to prevent immigration status from being a determining factor for inclusion. I heard a representative state that illegal aliens are not “supposed” to be included. I’m sure you know what that means.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM

1,150 posts, read 991,058 times
<<If this healthcare bill happens to pass ( all of the deals and pork) , and becomes the "law" How do You think people will respond ?>>

I think people will be so angry, Congress would be hard pressed to get a resolution saying the sky is blue passed. If healthcare passes, I'd be surprised if 1/4 of the present congress retained their seats after the next election.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:42 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Also a whole lot has to do with the economy.

The economy we've had was based on jobs being sent out of the country and cheap products brought in for consumers to buy and on a housing bubble where houses were being built like there was no tomorrow and in order to find buyers for these houses, credit standards had to be lowered and subprime loans had to be given. The housing bubble was very profitable to the builders who benefitted from unlimited cheap illegal labor for the most part to build these cheaply made houses which were far from cheap for the buyers.

The housing bubble has burst - that and debt spending was the economy. Unemployed Americans are not very eager for the flood over the border to continue. A shrinking tax base cannot afford the free schools and free health care of millions of people coming over the border.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 PM

841 posts, read 790,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Nature View Post
It appears that Congress and President Obama has decided to push Comprehensive Immigration Reform to the year 2010. I am trying to figure out how it will go in the Congress when it finally is brought forward and the real debate starts in the Media and in Congress.

My gut feeling is that the debate will not be as loud as Health Care Reform. Why? Because the media and political correctness will limit the number of people who are willing to really get angry about the topic. Deep down I suspect the average American feels just as strongly about immigration as Heath Care but few people will stick their neck out and be seen face to face screaming and yelling about it. It is more of a topic for letters to the editor and emails to Congress, not strong words at a Town Hall, or street protest.

Why is this? Because the mainstream media will turn anyone who is against illegal immigration as being anti immigrant and a racist. That will scare most people from speaking up outside of hidden Internet based complaining. Do you agree with my analysis? Or do you think that the fight over amnesty of illegal aliens will be even more angry than health care reform?
Not necessarily, we've seen that people do speak up and when they do in large numbers even the media listens and bends.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
I think the public uproar will be even more intense when illegal immigration is tackled. We have learned to let the label of "racist" fall on deaf ears now because it is all lies. Our country's future is at stake here and Americans will not stand for another amnesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or