Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM

7 posts, read 14,112 times

Advertisements

It appears that Congress and President Obama has decided to push Comprehensive Immigration Reform to the year 2010. I am trying to figure out how it will go in the Congress when it finally is brought forward and the real debate starts in the Media and in Congress.

My gut feeling is that the debate will not be as loud as Health Care Reform. Why? Because the media and political correctness will limit the number of people who are willing to really get angry about the topic. Deep down I suspect the average American feels just as strongly about immigration as Heath Care but few people will stick their neck out and be seen face to face screaming and yelling about it. It is more of a topic for letters to the editor and emails to Congress, not strong words at a Town Hall, or street protest.

Why is this? Because the mainstream media will turn anyone who is against illegal immigration as being anti immigrant and a racist. That will scare most people from speaking up outside of hidden Internet based complaining. Do you agree with my analysis? Or do you think that the fight over amnesty of illegal aliens will be even more angry than health care reform?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
The word "Duh" comes to mind... people are going to be mad... how do you feel about people who like to cut in line illegally... and then pickpocketing you...

Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,055 times
Hmm, maybe?

If the unemployment rate continues to rise and some pro-amnesty politicians want to ensure that many illegals maintain jobs that were obtained through stolen/fraudulent IDs wouldn't that generate some anger?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
This is going to be a major battle! Tax payers are tired of seeing the rich use the Illegals and then the taxpayers pay to house, feed, provide medical and free school. It's gonna be a barn burner and more divided than health care, much more.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,055 times
I honestly wonder if any of the pro-amnesty politicians or the mediabots will have the audacity to claim that the illegals are doing the 'jobs Americans won't do' when it comes to defending the amnesty bill?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM

7 posts, read 14,112 times
Yes people will be angry but they will keep their anger to private email or Internet based complaints. Few will show up and be in front of cameras complainiing because they will be called racist.

(No they are not racists but the media and others will act like they are)

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 PM

706 posts, read 939,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Nature View Post
Yes people will be angry but they will keep their anger to private email or Internet based complaints. Few will show up and be in front of cameras complainiing because they will be called racist.

Most of the "townhall revolts" , at least to me , seem to consist of senior citizens who are in fear of being forced into a government healthcare program leaving them with no choice. Pehaps they remember that it was this same government that gave us the Post Office, the DMV, The Veterans Administration, and the Social Security Administration....etc,etc,etc....

On the other hand,younger people tend to not worry so much...they realize that all is well and in a time of crisis, the government will come to their rescue. All will be well.

So while the "old farts" put up a fight, I don't expect them to get much support, There will be no " boots in the streets" to support them.
I expect it will be the same for Amnesty. "No Boots in the Streets"

I hope I'm wrong......But we will see.

BL

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Of all the discussions I've read on C-D and elsewhere on a plethora of political issues, this one unites both left and right the most. I'd be shocked if amnesty happened, especially given the angry mood of the country (and no, it is not manufactured). I just saw 14 different poll results on AOL that back my opinion (normally, online users lean left -- not now).

Old 08-11-2009, 07:49 PM

706 posts, read 939,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Of all the discussions I've read on C-D and elsewhere on a plethora of political issues, this one unites both left and right the most. I'd be shocked if amnesty happened, especially given the angry mood of the country (and no, it is not manufactured). I just saw 14 different poll results on AOL that back my opinion (normally, online users lean left -- not now).

Gottasay,

Just out of curiosity, If this healthcare bill happens to pass ( all of the deals and pork) , and becomes the "law" How do You think people will respond ?

And why should the Amnesty proposal be any different ?

E-mails and faxes only go so far.....Freedom really is not a "spectator sport "

BL

Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Nature View Post

You do not have to go in front of a TV camera to be effective. There is this thing called the telephone and our senators and representatives got blasted to bits by irate constituents the last time they tried to pull a stunt like amnesty. And don't forget that you are alone in that voting booth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration