U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM

95 posts, read 111,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
It has been a very long time (over 20 yrs) ago while living in Mexico City a University had the students picketing for some freebees.

When asking a friend what the students reason for picketing... he said that the students wanted the school to supply them with pencils and papers. How cheap can the students be?

The problem with the Mexican mentality is that they always want something for free and not have to pay for anything. I see this constantly where I live...and this is with those older then teens. They always are looking for a freebee or a cheap price. There is always the invisible hand being outstretched for a handout.

Not trying to be critical of them...it's just the way they are.

Steve

I'd be interested in finding out more about this; can you provide a link?

I remember reading about University students in Mexico city protesting a tuition hike a few years ago:

"Tens of thousands of students shut down Mexico's main university - one of the largest in the world - with an indefinite strike Tuesday to protest a tuition hike that has ended the state-run school's virtually free status.
The students walked out on most campuses of the National Autonomous University, effectively blocking classes and research activities. They vowed to strike until college officials revoke last month's hike, which raised annual fees from 2 U.S. cents (20 centavos) to about $145 (1,378 pesos)."

students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,949,017 times
The link is ME. I lived in the city from 1984-87. Cannot recall the exact year I'm referring too but it was during that time. I drove by across the street and saw all the students out front. At the time was told that the University education was free...and they still wanted free pencils and paper.

Is that link adequate enough.?

Do recall vaguely reading about something happening recently at the school.

I am not into the Mexican politics (none of my business) and keep my nose away from internal happenings. After all...I am a guest here.

PS; Your math is wrong...it's $107.00 Dollars)

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 08-12-2009 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: correct Peso to dollar exchange

Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:

PS; Your math is wrong...it's $107.00 Dollars)
That's not my math, the text is from a 1999 AP article:

link: students

"By Adolfo Garza
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER
MEXICO CITY - Tens of thousands of students shut down Mexico's main university - one of the largest in the world - with an indefinite strike Tuesday to protest a tuition hike that has ended the state-run school's virtually free status.
The students walked out on most campuses of the National Autonomous University, effectively blocking classes and research activities. They vowed to strike until college officials revoke last month's hike, which raised annual fees from 2 U.S. cents (20 centavos) to about $145 (1,378 pesos)."

Old 08-12-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
The link is ME. I lived in the city from 1984-87. Cannot recall the exact year I'm referring too but it was during that time. I drove by across the street and saw all the students out front. At the time was told that the University education was free...and they still wanted free pencils and paper.

Is that link adequate enough.?
Not really,

Maybe this is what happened?:

Link from NY times (1987):
MEXICAN STUDENTS VOTE TO END 18-DAY STRIKE - The New York Times

"The university's 340,000 students have been out of classes since Jan. 29. Some of the 44 departments have been meeting off campus, but normal activities and services on the sprawling campus came to a halt as strikers occupied administration and classroom buildings and erected barricades.

The measures included an end to open admissions, limits on the number of years a student may be enrolled, the institution of standardized examinations and increases in student fees, which now are less than a dollar a year for undergraduates. Students, complaining they had not been consulted, immediately rejected the measures."

Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 PM

Why in the world post something that is 10 years old.

I can post something that happened back in 1937 or in 1939 when I was around as a small kid but the parents of many here were never even born yet or had even taken history lessons in school.

Something that is maybe less then six months old is worth talking about.

Steve

Old 08-12-2009, 10:23 PM

Do not wish to sound picky picky...I was there in person and someone else reads about it in the newspaper one or two days later.

Of course a newspaper is a better link then a persons eye witness account. Oh well........

Let me see now...where are all my dolls going to sleep tonight.

Steve

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:

I can post something that happened back in 1937 or in 1939 when I was around as a small kid but the parents of many here were never even born yet or had even taken history lessons in school.

Steve
You're the one that mentioned Mexican university students picketed because they wanted free paper and pencils 20 years ago.
I know the UNAM protests in Mexico city usually involve more complicated matters.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 PM

24 posts, read 17,005 times
Quote:

Steve
You're the one who brought it up to support your stereotype of Mexicans "always trying to get something for free".
I guess it was for a little more than "freebies".

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Makes NO difference whether it's 1987 or 1999 or 2009 they still have their hands out for a freebee.

The mentality seems to still be in effect if I read the posts about the happenings in Arizona being correct. Report is they are being turned away due to a illegal status. Need I say more?

My son and grandaughters live in the Phoenix area. The youngest is going to college...will have to ask her for info.

Steve

Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 PM

24 posts, read 17,005 times
Quote:
Makes NO difference whether it's 1987 or 1999 or 2009 they still have their hands out for a freebee.

The mentality seems to still be in effect if I read the posts about the happenings in Arizona being correct. Report is they are being turned away due to a illegal status. Need I say more?

My son and grandaughters live in the Phoenix area. The youngest is going to college...will have to ask her for info.

Steve
And yet you live among them in their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration